Foxtel

I've got a two story house I lease out separately.
Downstairs/upstairs fully self contained.
Question is can both sections have foxtel connected separately.
Both on their own contracts, own boxes etc.

I've got a two story house I lease out separately.
Downstairs/upstairs fully self contained.
Question is can both sections have foxtel connected separately.
Both on their own contracts, own boxes etc.

You can as long as postal address is different like 1 and 1a for separate properties

Yes, assuming it's legal for dual occupancy, then there should be two letterboxes and all will be hunky dorey.

Cheers-
I've made it 20a and 20b with seperate letter boxes
Seperate entries
Legal, don't think so not on seperate titles
However I think it should be ok
Property manager advertised the 20b unit today and it's already been snapped up
Yay

If you put Foxtel in your name and added a second IQ box downstairs, all bills coming to you, you would only pay an extra $20 per month for the second box.

You could make a little on the deal by charging each of them less than they would pay by having their own account each, but charging more than it costs you for your risk.

Cheers-
I've made it 20a and 20b with seperate letter boxes
Seperate entries
If not legal for dual occupancy, be aware that you've almost certainly invalidated your building insurance, and if there's a fire and somebody dies, you may find yourself facing manslaughter charges.

Is it really worth it?

I know that worries me.
Current standard insurance probably won't cover, I've gotten quotes from insurance brokers who said would cover just costs more so I have to change ASAP and then it should fall on the brokerage companies shoulders if I've disclosed everything and they recommend an insurance policy?

What do people that have dual occupancies in Logan etc surely it's not legal either

I know that worries me.
Current standard insurance probably won't cover, I've gotten quotes from insurance brokers who said would cover just costs more so I have to change ASAP and then it should fall on the brokerage companies shoulders if I've disclosed everything and they recommend an insurance policy?

What do people that have dual occupancies in Logan etc surely it's not legal either
I'd say most people do it illegally and without insurance coverage and hope for the best.

With the insurance brokers, did you actually say "I have an illegal dual occupancy", and they said they'd insure it? :eek:

If you didn't say this, but just said it was a dual occupancy and asked for insurance, then you didn't disclose everything.

Do you have fire-rated separation between the two? Didn't they ask you about that?

However I think it should be ok

That's the spirit !! Carry on McDuff.

Forget the Foxtel question - that's now irrelevant.

Perp has done you a massive favour by pointing out the huge flaw in your logic, which now exposes you and your assets to not being covered with insurance.

My strong suggestion is forget about the Foxtel nonsense and concentrate your energy and time on securing away your insurances......for they are currently flapping in the wind.

Last edited:
On this topic, is there any way to make something like this legal? The thing I don't get is that it is legal to rent out separate room's in a property in Victoria isn't it? As long as it isn't to more than 4 different people?

So what makes it illegal by renting the 'rooms' (even if they both have external access) separately if both are under tenancy agreements? Or do all the facilities have to be shared?

On this topic, is there any way to make something like this legal? The thing I don't get is that it is legal to rent out separate room's in a property in Victoria isn't it? As long as it isn't to more than 4 different people?

So what makes it illegal by renting the 'rooms' (even if they both have external access) separately if both are under tenancy agreements? Or do all the facilities have to be shared?
You have to be one "household", basically. A boarder can join your household, or your household can consist of "housemates", but if you have two separate households, you need to be zoned for multiple occupancy. So yes, basically, all facilities need to be shared.

Even with renting out rooms separately, I doubt "standard" landlord insurance would cover that situation, even though it's legal.

Suggest you get Foxtel installed under a deal with the tenants so you get it cheaper. Deal with the insurance problem immediately, otherwise your whole world will go up in flames if the premises burns. :eek:
Cheers
crest133

Insurance broker knows it's not legal however still thinks it can be insured.
I threw in illegal many times during the conversation.
In middle of changing policies.
Too late to get foxtel in my name as downstairs who has been there 2 years got foxtel installed as soon as we moved out so already in their name.

Back