France terrorist atrocity.

And yet global atheism would be pretty depressing place long term.

Where else does one get its moral insight from???????

Governments???????

Chat communities??????

IV????? (who says if you cant beet them, join them, a $ in my hand is better than a $ in a nameless societies hand).

We only live in a very small space of time.
The ramifications of our ancestors are known.
The ramifications on our offspring are not!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't say moral insight is purely from religions, considering the thousands of years of debate of philosophy and morality outside of the halls of religion.

Whenever someone pulls out this ridiculous question, my standard answer is:

'If you need to look outside yourself to a third party to be told how to be a good person, you're the one with the problem.'

Totally agree, it's a ridiculous notion to begin with but if someone needs religion in order to have morals chances are they're a bit of a rubbish person to start with

'If you need to look outside yourself to a third party to be told how to be a good person, you're the one with the problem.'

yes maybe. Maybe I am searching.

And yet what is the 'definition of a good person', how has this evolved over time.

One century ago? Two centuries ago? 5 centuries ago?

What would have been a definition of a 'good person'? Over time?
Has our definition of a 'good person' been defined by Christianity???????

I wouldn't say moral insight is purely from religions, considering the thousands of years of debate of philosophy and morality outside of the halls of religion.

yes correct. It hasn't been a 'religious' evolution that has brought us to this point in time.

So its not a purely, religious journey.

And yet to what extent has it been an evolution of mankind's individual yet collective development overlapping within a religious framework, that got us to this current point in time.

Morals and ethics are innate then?

I thought they are learned through observation from birth onwards, your parents and close relatives would be your first mentors, then teachers, your culture all assist

At some stage you move on and form your own view of the world (social, politician and religious views) but the foundations have already been laid, like buildings, some foundations are not constructed well, good people can raise bad people and bad people can raise good people, the world over

We're all a combination, aren't we. None of us is completely good and wise and no-one is all bad. There are times when we become overwhelmed with work or grief, confused, tempted, greedy, etc.
It doesn't hurt to have the wisdom of the ages to turn to during these times.

Let's not be Islamphobic. It's a peaceful religion and this attack was done by a minority who misinterpreted the text.

Soz for the delay in responding- just saw this.
Let me put it another way: Islam as a religion has a number of views that are both enforced and quite frankly repugnant.
1. Decide to stop being a Muslim? Then you are an Apostate (Penalty=death)
2. Defame our Prophet? Then death to you (ask Salaman Rushdie about Fatwahs and Cat Stevens)
3. Nonbeliever occupies "our" territory= assist our brothers in evicting the infidels.

Drop the remaining staff of Charlie Hebdo in the middle of the town square in Pakistan, Saudia Arabia, Yemen, Algiers or half a dozen of those like countries, and watch them be mobbed by moderate peace loving Muslins.

I don't consider myself an Islamaphobe. I'm not scared of that religion. I am annoyed with the culture of people (many of them sharing Islam as a religion) who wish to call the shots as new arrivals and dictate how I behave to their satisfaction.

It's like the spoilt new kid in the schoolground telling everyone to stop playing red rover because he doesn't like it, to change school uniforms as it offends him, for everyone to stop and not make any noise while he prays in the middle of the school yard and then punches out a kid who ignores his demands.

The behaviour is just antisocial. Go away. Not wanted near me. Read up on Liberalism and see how this behaviour is completely at odds with it.

Let me put it another way: Islam as a religion has a number of views that are both enforced and quite frankly repugnant.....

The behaviour is just antisocial. Go away. Not wanted near me. Read up on Liberalism and see how this behaviour is completely at odds with it.

+1. Expedient political messages made by flexible leaders that meet political correctness standards do not necessarily mean truth.

I believe I gave you kudos before!

Let me put it another way: Islam as a religion has a number of views that are both enforced and quite frankly repugnant.

Oops I forgot to use the sarcasm font.

Places where the religion of peace has had an impact on the world:

Southern Thailand: Estimated 4,000+ civilian, police, and military lives lost in prolonged insurgency in the last 5 years.

Southern Philippines: Hostage taking, terrorism, arms trafficking by Abu Sayef. A wonderland of extremism, kidnapping, and murder.

Indonesia: Aceh Banda area. Fundamentalist haven known for producing Al Qaeda affiliates.

Malaysia towns bordering Southern Thailand: Material, financial, and personnel support to Southern Thai insurgency.

Xinjiang province, China: Hotbed of central asian terror activity. Middle eastern financed terror cells. Regular attacks on Han Chinese population. Unknown civilian casualities but a few hundred each year at least.

Somalia: All around muslim fundamentalist craphole. Produces pirates.

Yemen: Craphole that harbors Al Qaeda operatives and infamous jihadis.

Nigeria: Boko Haram scum.

Syria: Battle royale between fundamentalists. Craphole.

Egypt: Rape, pyramids, scammers, and fundamentalists. Craphole.

Libya: Freshly formed fundamentalist craphole with no dictator now.

France: Craphole in training. North African/Middle eastern suburban jihadist bonanza. This thread.

Pakistan: Harbors terrorists at all levels. Covert training of jihadis to invade India.

Saudi Arabia: Royalty and a few greedy oil barons who use petrodollars to finance terror in private. Religious police, sharia law, and malls. Still a craphole.

you forgot to include one more:

USA - supports all of the above when it suits their immediate goals. acts like it doesn't know what happened when the people they supported turn against them after support stopped.

Dex, you forgot beheadings in Saudi Arabia when it suits them while sending their kids to school in London and Paris. Or have they gone off "the West' lately?

Aren't the Saudis just beheading murderers and rapeists? In which case, we should mind our own business? I could be wrong? Happy to be wrong, just guessing?

See yas

Aren't the Saudis just beheading murderers and rapeists? In which case, we should mind our own business? I could be wrong? Happy to be wrong, just guessing?
Sadly, you are. :( You can also be executed for apostasy, adultery, "witchcraft", blasphemy, "false prophecy", "sexual misconduct", etc.

And even if the death penalty were only applied to murder and rape, it's far from accepted that the Saudi courts are in any way valid in their decision-making process.

It's despicable. :(

Back