Frankston South - a good place to live?

Hi Everyone,

Due to a change in circumstances I now need to move somewhere between the Mornington Peninsula and Hawthorn! :) Roughly half way would be nice, which looks to be around the Frankston/Seaford area. I don't need to live anywhere too fancy, but somewhere reasonably nice (and safe) would be good. What do you think of Frankston South? I've found a rental there that looks perfect but can't inspect it until December. I haven't spent much time down that way so if anyone can give me a snapshot of what it is like to live there (rather than from an investor's point of view) it would be much appreciated.

Any other suggestions are most welcome! Thanks in advance for your help (I know you guys always have the answers to everything ;) )

Cheers,

Ali

I have lived here for the last 8 years and love it. I previously lived in Donvale, then moved to Macleod and lived there for 6 years. I could not possibly go back to the suburbs.

I am not even a beach person, but there are so many activities here and so much life around us. I actually enjoy walking along the beach as the sun is going down, and the people here are great. Where I am, there are no so called "low lifes". Interestingly, the Pines or Frankston North is some 15-20 minutes drive from us.

If I am a little down, or just want to unwind, I drive down the road with a loaf of stale bread and feed the sea gulls as I look out at the bay, it is just beautiful. Chadston Shopping Centre and DFO is not far away, Bayside shopping centre is great, Karingal Shopping Centre is down the road and the Cinemas are also close by. Great restaurants. Everything We need as a family is close by.

We're on a acre of land and the kids love the freedom to roam about with their pets. We are close enough to the City, if we need to go, but as for the hustle and bustle of the city goes, I prefer it where we are. We are a short drive to Portsea, Sorrento, Rye etc.

Whatever action is there, we are only a stones throw away from it. Life couldn't be greater, I just wish I had done it earlier. Financially, we could move almost anywhere, but we wouldn't. We absolutely love it here.

Until you have experienced it, it's very hard to explain.

I wish you well with your decision.

Toni;)

Last edited:
Sorry, Hubby said to tell you that the peninsula also boasts some of the best golf courses in Australia. As you can tell, he loves his golf....

Toni

I agree with Toni. I grew up in Mentone and when my oldies said they were moving to Frankston I couldnt believe it. Now my parents, sister and brother have all made home in Frankston.

I am in Aspendale, but Frankston offers more than Aspendale. But as i work in the city I decided to live a little closer.

I reckon when the kids have left school I will end up in Mt Eliza or Frankston.

I'm not exaggerating, am I? We also have Frankston High School, which is one of Victorias Top Government schools, Toorak College, Monash University and a Tafe Campus.

I could not believe how great it was, until I moved here and could not for the life of me understand other peoples perception of the area. Yes in the city part of Frankston there are some interesting people, but I can name quite a few places around like that. To me that is just adding character to the place.

I do, however, look forward to them finding a new place to call home.:p

Olivers Hill is so Picturesque. My personal opinion only. Olivers Hill and all the houses along their as you drive up Nepean highway, makes me feel that I am somewhere in Europe. I feel that it is the 2nd prettiest place along the Peninsula from the City of Melbourne to Portsea. I would give Portsea second place.

I have been passionate about this area for a very long and went against what everyone thought, because I could see beneath the so call "image thing".

It's just a matter of time before people see and experience what we have seen and experienced for very long time. It truely is a great place to live.

We love you Frankston, and I agree with you Toony, Mt. Eliza as well. It is so undervalued there for what you are getting.

Toni

Last edited:
:mad: i RESENT being called a low life! , i earn on the good side of 75K/yr and
i pay my taxes , so just because i live 200 m from the boundry of seaford shouldnt make me a low life! :-( :(

So called "low lifes" are people that bludge and milk the system, it has nothing to do with where you live. There are some great people that live in Frankston North. One of them is my gardener.

Sorry for any misunderstanding;)

Toni

:mad: i RESENT being called a low life! , i earn on the good side of 75K/yr and
i pay my taxes , so just because i live 200 m from the boundry of seaford shouldnt make me a low life! :-( :(

oh as you might have guessed i live in Frankston North (the good part of it.. if there is such... i rarely have any problems and i dont even like going to frankston... i prefer seaford so take that! .... i guess there was lowlifes in richmond and south of the river back in the days.... but now the people that want to live there cant live there because of the prices!
so comeon , there is low lifes all around ... and even in South Frankston in the highschool zone there are people commiting crimes selling drugs to schoolkids etc.

so again Frankston North HAD a bad reputation , but my naighbour who is an electrician
also resent being called a lowlife simply because we live in Franggers North!

people who like in the docklands thinks bad things about people in frankston , and i guess people in frankston south still look down on people in Frankston North , well i wouldnt change
except maybe living on the hill with the view over the bay... :)

now excuse me because i have to spend some of my lowlife money buying an IP.
i like this forum because its full of great ideas and great people!

I agree. In fact I believe that Frankston North has changed considerably. Unfortunately alot of people, both on the forum and in other areas, still bring up the so called "low lifes", so my response was simply to say that they don't seem to exist where we are.

I still think that varied people bring a little spice into our lives. Sadly there is alot of mental illness in our society and I for one have also suffered in this area with years of depression. I thank god every day that I have been free of this for the past 3 years.

People also suffer, through no fault of their own, misfortune that comes our way and we sometimes end up in situations or circumstances not of our choice.

The biggest problem seems to be low self esteem that comes from this and sadly some of them don't have alot of choice.

To be honest, I personally find alot of these people more down to earth and more genuine.

I am very passionate about Frankston as a whole and do not for one minute look down on Frankston North. Infact I am currently looking at purchasing a property in that region.

Once again I am really sorry for offending you. I know quite a few really lovely people that reside in Frankston North and for that matter, Seaford.

Toni

Last edited:
Note: I put; so called, as to single out that this is not my perception but merely the opinions or attitudes of people looking in from other areas.

Toni.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me your opinions - I really appreciate it. It all sounds great from what you say!

Are there any parts of Frankston South that are better to live in than other parts? I really don't know the area at all. Or any parts that you would avoid for reasons that wouldn't be apparent at the time of an inspection?

I also hope my comment about looking for a safe place to live did not upset anybody either. When I moved into my current home in a middle-class area in a nice leafy street I didn't realise that it was a pocket that was prone to robberies... until we were robbed three days after we moved in. :( So I guess I am just a little more anxious about security than I might have been before, regardless of the area I am moving to. So no offence intended, if any were indeed taken.

Thanks again everyone!

Ali G

If walking distance to train station is not a concern to you, then pretty much anywhere in Frankston South is good. If it is, then areas closer to Frankston CBD enclosed by Cliff Rd and Yule St are very popular. Bear in mind though that the closer you are to CBD, the further away you are from the 'nice' part (like Olivier Hill).

I agree, anywhere in Frankston South would be great! It is a very safe area, with alot of elderly people residing here and of course some young ones to. It is a great pocket of Frankston.

Toni

i thought only melbourne has a central buisness district :) where is frankston cbd? between the cinema and cashconverters? :))

like cocatoo cbd .. it sounds funny!

but defenately Frankston is sooo much better than everybody not living in frankston thinks! , its the gateway to the peninsula and its going to be closer to the city with eastlink and it has one of victorias best beaches (as according to the leader (the newspaper not john howard haha) and you are only a stonethrow away from beautifull scenarios on the peninsula , they can have the CBD in melbourne for themselves , but of course different horses for...

can i get a YAAY Frankston! :)

Frankston is definatetly one of the greatest places to live. I believe what every one is calling central Frankston, would be anywhere in close walking distance to the main business centre of frankston, i.e. near train station and Bayside shopping centre.

We absolutely love Frankston, so there's definately a YAAY Frankston from us:D

Toni

OK, so that is a resounding 'YAY' for Frankston South so I will have to go and check out some rentals and see what I can find. Thanks again for all of your opinions.

I welcome anyone here with an IP in the area to PM me with details if they wish. I am looking for a minimum of 3 bedrooms, preferable ensuite to master plus main bedroom, plus a decent yard with an undercover area as we have two dogs that we don't want to have to hide from our new landlord. They are both completely house-trained and well behaved, but if they did cause damage of some sort, we would of course repair it as we treat our rental property as if it were our own. It doesn't need to be available soon - some time early next year would be fine.

Ali G

like cocatoo cbd .. it sounds funny!
OK, I’ll take offence at that one………..what’s so funny about Cockatoo?

In fact all the businesses are centred in the one spot, so why not call it the central business district? Might not be as huge as Frankston, but just as important! :p

well of course cockatoo or as my work mate say ****-a-three :) ... when i think of CBD i think central melbourne around flinders street , but others might think have a different view of what a cbd is :) what about nurmurka?

Back