Free at Last..

I have mixed feelings, part of me feels sorry for her, the other part sees her as a misguided bogan who deserved to be punished. Should she make a few million from her situation? Hmmm......

I think she is guilty but I haven't really got a problem with her profiting from it. It's not like she went into it to become rich and famous, it's all been beaten up by the media who make more out of it selling advertising space at a premium than she ever would.

Proceeds of crime act 2002

The proceeds of crime act is detailed here:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/poca2002160/s153.html
In Summary:
(3A) If the offence is a * foreign indictable offence, then a * benefit is not treated as * literary proceeds unless the benefit is derived in * Australia or transferred to Australia.

So if she doesn't transfer the money to australia then it is ok.
If it isn't derived in Australia (since she won't be paid in Australia, but in Bali and the interview will be done in Bali)

So i don't think the proceeds of crime act will apply. She will have probably spent all the money before she returns to autralia anyway.

No thanks

You're doing it 24/7. That's about $19ph.

With not even any roses around to smell. Even on parole.

I reckon it's more than $80ph 24/7 for 9 years and there's plenty of roses and frangipani's in Kerobokan prison. Her sister Mercedes will be holding the cash for her so it shouldn't affect any laws dealing with proceeds of crime.

She is a drug dealer going to get millions for her story,what a joke the media makes her out to be somebody important she is a no body,as she is a criminal government should not allow her to receive any endorsements ,I feel she has served enough time but give her nothing for her ******** story.

I have read up to 3 Million.. where have you seen this 6 million figure?

Dex said earlier in the thread four times that amount (ie, $1.5M), because of donations towards appeals, and lawsuits she's won.

That's because lawyers cost nothing and all of that money goes into her pocket.

I'd be surprised if she ends up with much at all.

I'd expect more anger at backward draconian drug laws that would do that to a person for a relatively harmless drug that is legal in many places.

David Hicks was not convicted in any criminal court. He managed, after an enormous amount of effort, to hang on to the money he made from his book.
I wonder how Corby might benefit from her situation......

I have mixed feelings, part of me feels sorry for her, the other part sees her as a misguided bogan who deserved to be punished. Should she make a few million from her situation? Hmmm......

Corby wont make the millions, it will be her sister, she is playing the media for all she can get.

Latest I heard was she was getting groomed to become a model...... I am not kidding, who knows, there may be some money in that angle:eek:, I am sure she will work it real hard

Corby wont make the millions, it will be her sister, she is playing the media for all she can get.

Latest I heard was she was getting groomed to become a model...... I am not kidding, who knows, there may be some money in that angle:eek:, I am sure she will work it real hard

Mercedes? She was already in Ralph. Wasnt shy of the media when she was getting paid to show some skin.

images

Free at Last

She's been released from prison.

She's not free though... in either sense of the word.

That's about $19ph.

Which I suspect is good money for a beauty therapist.

She will have probably spent all the money before she returns to autralia anyway.

With any luck she will remain in Bali - indefinitely. Good for them. And good for us too.

She could become the Australian version of Ronnie Biggs back when he was living it up in Brazil and UK tourists would seek him out so they could see the sights with Ronnie as their guide (only she will be legally free in a couple of years).

One more thing... Channel 7 - I've been in NZ now for over 9 years... I have some parking tickets and speeding fines to my name, hell I even had the IRD take me to court once (ooooo). Where's my $2m you tightwads?!

$1.5m, $3m, or $6m to Schapelle and her family? Good for them, not so good for the suckers who forked out. But, it's alright as long as they were voluntarily transferred. Schapelle and family got rehabilitation money and suckers got catharthic emotions. Win-win. Fin.
:D

Back