Free weeks rent

I give my long term tenants a free weeks rent every year at Xmas as just a way of saying thanks, I think it makes a differences as some of them arnt very well off, anyone else do anything like this? Obviously u wouldn't if things were tight but I'm interested to know

Merry Xmas

I give my long term tenants a free weeks rent every year at Xmas as just a way of saying thanks, I think it makes a differences as some of them arnt very well off, anyone else do anything like this? Obviously u wouldn't if things were tight but I'm interested to know

Merry Xmas

Nice gesture , but absolutely NO!

You make it seem like the tenants are doing you a favour by them renting your property. I actually think I am doing tenants a service by allowing them to rent my properties.

...perhaps I should be asking for an extra weeks rent at Xmas for the privilege!

bah humbug:rolleyes:

Merry Xmas

interesting, whats your definition of long term?

If I were to go down that track, I would get them something less then a weeks rent, I think a physical gift would leave a better impression then a free week, even though its better for them financially

eg if rent is $250 per week, $50 slab of beer and $40 wine (if its a couple)
or 10g of hash if its boganville

I arrange with the PM to get them a $25 voucher from the bottle shop just to say thanks for looking after the place. The PM puts it down as sundries on the statement. But! These two guys do a fair bit above and beyond what they should be doing to a rental property. I wouldn't do it for just any tenant.

I give staff who live in 2x of my property's 2x weeks free rent at Xmas. They work hard, and in the scheme of things, a couple weeks rent is pittence compared to how much $$$ they make me during the year. Add the fact that I basically control the rent by deducting it from their pay - so they are always 100% on time throughout the year!

Happy staff = productive staff!

pinkboy

Merry Xmas

Good one and i'm sure they appreciate it!

Generally I average turover of tenants every 2 years in my IP and I ensure a nice bottle of wine is left at their doorstep come Christmas time. Usually get an email from the property manager forwarding the 'thank you' message. However, we don't offer free rent for a week.

Quite a big gesture on your behalf.

I dont go as far as free weeks rent, however for the tenants in my IP's I provide a $50 Coles/myer or Bunnings Voucher.

If my tenants keep the place tidy, report issues, and are good tenants whynot send them a gift card.

Also as I am current tenant myself........
Recieving a good bottle of rum to enjoy with family over xmas was a good gesture by my landlord.

Each Landlord to thier own.

Cheers and Merry xmas :D

Bunnings voucher is an interesting gift for a tenant given they're renting and therefore cant buy paint, building supplies, fencing, etc.

No! Absolutely NOT! A WHOLE WEEKS RENT!!! That's just crazy! But then, I am running quite a large portfolio, so a weeks rent for every tenant, is a lot of money down the drain.

I treat my portfolio as a Business. It is there for one thing, & one thing only, & that is to provide an income. Tenants are a commodity. One moves out, another moves in. I don't get personal with tenants & they never get presents!

On the otherhand, I sometimes will get a good PM something. They are the ones I deal with. They are the ones that have the hard job, especially in terms of difficult tenants.

Think about it for a minute. What sort of rent are your tenants paying? $400 per week, maybe. Do you spend that kind of money on all of your friends? No? Then why on earth would you give it to people you don't even know?

On the otherhand, in Pinkboy's instance, it's a bit different, as it's his staff that are leasing the property. Many Business's may give a bonus, or nice gifts to staff at Christmastime, so this would fall into that category.

I arrange the PM to get them a $50 Coles gift card, just to say thanks for being good tenants.

I believe it is a good idea to get them something as they will believe you care about them, and the psychology of that is they will look after the place and pay rent on time.

Bunnings voucher is an interesting gift for a tenant given they're renting and therefore cant buy paint, building supplies, fencing, etc.

HaHaHa, At least if they go on a weekend they can get a BBQ Breakfast...........
or better yet, go towards a New BBQ for themselves.

Cheers,
Wirra

Mine get movie vouchers or a Coles/Myer voucher - around $50 per dwelling. It helps me seem like the good guy before rent increase in Feb :p

We gave beer. Can we claim it when the tax time comes?

Of course you can. It may be awkward if theyre recovering alcoholics though?

Beer as Christmas gift for yourself would be tax deductible too if you invest via a trust.

Merry Xmas

Your the Landlord and why not give at Christmas , If you can afford it and they are looking after your house then give them a free weeks rent. If this helps you keep your great tenants then I say why not ....

Cheers

Im with skater on this - I treat my properties like a business and would never randomly consider giving tenants free rent.

Back