friend's unit got robbed ...

Hi All,

Am curious to ask, over the holiday period, a friend of ours unit got broken in to. They are struggling financially and do not have home & contents insurance. After the incident, they asked the other neighbors and found out that prior to them moving in, the unit had actually been broken into a couple of times.

Was the PM obligated to tell them that the unit has previous break-ins? In my humble opinion, PM could have been new, previous PM may not have told landlord? Is that quite irresponsible? Because my friend feels that if the landlord had known, get better locks for the windows? Get better security for the building?

Thanks. Cheers.

It's up to the tenant to decide, when deciding to rent, whether the security is adequate for their needs. Crime statistics are public information, so if the tenant felt the security was inadequate, it should've been negotiated prior to the tenancy.

I know it's too late for your friends, but I don't understand the mentality that insurance is optional. Surely the more you're struggling financially, the less you can afford to self-insure? :confused:

Thanks for all your inputs. I do agree about having insurance, that was the first question we asked. Having said that, my friend is still emotional about it, and, none of my logical side will get through at this time. Need to let the hurt and the dust settle a bit. Now ... how to get through to them to convince them that h&c insurance is a must!

Cheers.

Sorry to hear about your friends break in.
It is a horrible feeling.
There might be a couple of things they can do to protect themselves in future.
Could I suggest they go to the police and ask what they consider to be adequate security for a flat like theirs.
They will be well versed in how robbers get in, and advise how to secure their home again.
It doesn't shut the gate afterwards though.

Also, even if they cant afford contents insurance, perhaps ask their landlord to upgrade the security to the insurers requirements,

Best of luck to your friends

They are struggling financially and do not have home & contents insurance.

Before we go down the "they should have been insured" thing, what was stolen? Insurance isn't free, there's a claim excess, and if they were struggling financially did they have much to get stolen?

The Y-man

Thanks for all your inputs. I do agree about having insurance, that was the first question we asked. Having said that, my friend is still emotional about it, and, none of my logical side will get through at this time. Need to let the hurt and the dust settle a bit. Now ... how to get through to them to convince them that h&c insurance is a must!

Cheers.

If they are renting, there's no need for them to get insurance for the house, the landlord should have that cover. They will only need contents insurance.

Thanks Seaford. The family is quite traumatized by what happened and they are not at all sleeping well, which is the horrible thing. They have compiled a list of requests for the landlord to modify, such as getting the windows changed to ones with security lock but have not heard from the LL yet. And, as mentioned earlier, the LL is not obligated to comply with the requests anyhow.

Thanks Seaford. The family is quite traumatized by what happened and they are not at all sleeping well, which is the horrible thing. They have compiled a list of requests for the landlord to modify, such as getting the windows changed to ones with security lock but have not heard from the LL yet. And, as mentioned earlier, the LL is not obligated to comply with the requests anyhow.

there is nothing preventing them from paying for these items, it doesnt have to cost a lot of money

The landlord is obligated to provide reasonable security
If you believe the locks and security are inadequate:

Ask an insurance company what locks and security devices it requires before it will insure your home contents. (Get this in writing.)
Write to the landlord/agent and ask that they install the required locks/devices.
I have had to install window bolt locks for a property. It wasn't a huge expense, as Sanj says.

sorry to hear this about your friend... but i dont think the owner would be liable for their loss if there are sufficient locks in place..

any chance of disclosing which suburb that this bulguary happened?? planning to move to sydney soon myself so wanted to make an informed decision!

thanks.

Back