"From the landlord"...?

Hi all, just a quick question I and a couple other SS'ers were wondering about.

If sending a Xmas gift to tennants, how would you sign the note/letter assuming you don't self manage and the tennants don't know you?

eg. The Landlord, Steve (Landlord), LL.... etc?

In the past I've had someone do it in person, but probably using the intertnet this year.

I'd just write:
The Landlord (Steve)
or
Steve (The Landlord)

I prefer the first one as the emphasis is on the business relationship. Don't get too chumy with tenants otherwise 'Oh, it's OK if we ask ol' Steve to change this light bulb, etc'. Better to be the mysterious man in the monopoly outfit and monacle IMO. Has happened to me in the past.

If I got something from 'LL' I would think it was a secret admirier or something.

We have way too many nasty tenant meets landlord stories so I would strongly suggest you do not reveal your identity to the tenants.

Any of the 2 above are OK and it is a matter of personal preferenace.

All the best :D

Thanks for the reply guys. Think I'll go with "The Landlord (Steve)", thanks David.

Xenia, I know what you mean. My tennants haven't seen me, so wouldn't recognise me if I passed them in the street, and vice versa. That's the way I like it. Definitely wouldn't put my surname in.

Also, quick question - do tennants see my surname in the lease agreement, or does only my PM details appear on the docs? I've never seen those agreements, only my leasing agreement with the PM.

surnames are on my lease agreement with my tenant, and my lease agreement with my landlord.

(as in, landlords on both, as well as tenant's)
maybe that's just ljh.

I'd just write:
The Landlord (Steve)
or
Steve (The Landlord)

Don't get too chumy with tenants otherwise 'Oh, it's OK if we ask ol' Steve to change this light bulb, etc'. Better to be the mysterious man in the monopoly outfit and monacle IMO. Has happened to me in the past.

If I got something from 'LL' I would think it was a secret admirier or something.

David has a point here. Don't get chumy with the tenants, else they take you for granted. One act of generousity would lead to number of expectations.

My tenants were the vendors and they know us and our address. And as my PM says, she is always demanding and too hard to please. Interestingly, lately, her daughter banged her car into the fence and damaged it. The tenant came to our house and told us the sob story.

I chose not to talk to her and let my PM handle it. My PM is very good. I won't mind sending her christmas gift :), but not to the tenant. i might expect a gift from the tenant though :rolleyes:

Cheers

My tenants are expecting there first child this x-mas, so I am going to get them something special for the occasion. I haven't brought them anything before, but they have been excellent tenants. They actually pay their rent 2 weeks before the actual due date every month. :D

And whenever there has been a problem they always organize multiple quotes and than let me know. I than give them the ok to get it fixed and than deduct the cost from the rent.

I couldn't ask for better tenants actually and will be sad the day that they decide to move on.

My tenants know my real name as I self manage the property.

You could always be a smart&*s and write.."From the person making money off you!" MMWWHHHAAAA (evil laugh)...seriously, I think all the above mentioned versions would be fine...

I actually sent my Landlord a Xmas card last year and I will be sending a card and flowers this year.

I figure they have been so generous in letting me stay in their place for such a low price that it's the least I can do.

Maybe this year it will sink in as to why I do it.

P.S I know their name and address as it's on the rental agreement.

We are legally required to provide our name and home address to our tenants.
With some the tenants who start off great and then turn whacko, I sometimes get concerned.

Back