Fun to do, but does it actually add much value?

On Sunday I did one of the gardens in what is going to become my relaxing outdoor entertainment area in my PPoR.

All up including soil, bark and plants this garden cost $400. I'm looking forward to spending some time around this garden. But am wondering whether I will have actually added value to my property with it.

I've been following some of the valuation threads and it seems that alot of valuations are either done from the valuers desk, or with a drive by. How do you get the added value of backyard landscaping added to your equity?

Anyway, here are the before and after pics. I'm very sore today! need to do more exercise ;)

QqtYz.jpg

3Vn7x.jpg

a nice garden always adds market value (imo). the driveby valuers aren't even really looking at your house, they take the average sales for similar properties in the area and location.

i'm currently landscaping (although i should be painting the skirting boards today) to make the yard more appealing and useable for sale next year. for sale, it's all about selling the lifestyle as well as the house.

i too am a bit sore - we laid 20m2 of hardwood decking yesterday.

The garden looks great. I once had Jamie Dury come look at one of my places, when I told him my budget he promptly left - apparently his clients spend over 10% of the house value, not $500 as I was thinking.

I believe that landscaping goes to adding to the overall look of a property and if a valuer does inspect then this appeal of having everything looking completed and in place is important.

I just paid a landscaper $1200 to fix up a garden in Melb, it really made to the aspect from the lounge better.

I believe you have added value - good job!

Jane

It will be the vibe not the dollar this time

I'll be the naysayer here. Sorry :( And this is not having a go at your gardening prowess. No value added in hard dollar terms.

The best value it can create IMO, is that you have a better external environment at the end of your decking (it seems from the photo) and makes coming to sit outside, have a drink, a meal or a BBQ far more pleasant.

Some of the soft finishes IMO are difficult to ascertain the value-adding. However many soft touches that create a functional but pleasant environment and surrounding will give you a good chance of getting the best price when selling. On valuations however, it is less obvious.

I'll be the naysayer here. Sorry :( And this is not having a go at your gardening prowess. No value added in hard dollar terms.

I agree. Sorry, it does look lovely but once a tenant leaves it to die then it is back to where you started. That's why a valuer will allow a $0 improvement in val.

Thanks for the input everyone :)

I kind of felt like that would be the case in terms of value added. I'm not that bothered, the garden is really for me to sit in and enjoy. I would never consider putting a high maintenance garden into an IP, cheap low maintenance shrubs it is!

I know what you mean about the landscapers Buzz! I didn't quite talk to Jamie Dury, but I rang up a few so I could get a landscaper to draw up a plan that I could then implement. Most were very quick to end the conversation when they realised that I didn't want to spend 10k just for a plan!

The garden looks great. I once had Jamie Dury come look at one of my places, when I told him my budget he promptly left - apparently his clients spend over 10% of the house value, not $500 as I was thinking.

Jane

$500 wouldn't buy you one of his manpower visits let alone a landscape job!

My first IP was built by people who intended to stay there for ever. It was a single bedroom no garage 70 year old central CBD shack. They moved in extended to the tune $150,000. re wired,restumped. Its an amayzing house. Then they made the gardens to match. very well established and very low maintenance. just a bit of old branch clutter pick up from time to time and thats it.There is a huge tree in the back that looks amazing. You could not buy the kind of visual appeal this tree brings. Gardens are automatically watered from the rain tanks.So its a sit and enjoy set up.

That being said. The house and the gardens have definately help rent the place. people line up to rent it.

As far as value goes...... House yes. Gardens i doubt have made much of a difference. But i guess if many people fall in love with it then an auction may bring better reults so who knows really.

As far as value goes...... House yes. Gardens i doubt have made much of a difference. But i guess if many people fall in love with it then an auction may bring better reults so who knows really.

Exactly! that's the whole pt of a garden. It adds value because of the "eye appeal" and people fall in love with it. It can be enjoyed whilst a PPOR, but when selling a house/land package a nice garden can really make a difference.
JB

I think there's a difference in what's being discussed. Does it add equity that you can draw down on? Probably not.

But I think it is a deal sealer for when you're selling or, on certain properties, renting them.

I think there's a difference in what's being discussed. Does it add equity that you can draw down on? Probably not.

But I think it is a deal sealer for when you're selling or, on certain properties, renting them.

Agreed.

There is often a big difference between appraised value and market value.

From my own experience - landscaping the backyard added no value. In our PPOR, we spent a fair bit of cash and time on doing up the backyard (relatively small courtyard area). The same type of townhouse two doors down sold for $450k (backyard in rundown state) and ours was valued a month later at the same price.

Back