How much do you think an outdoor cinema will add?

Hey guys, we've just added an outdoor open air cinema to our alfresco. Two meter by 1200 fixed screen, 3D projector networked and mounted to the ceiling and 10 silent party wireless headphones so we don't disturb the neighbors. Pretty cool set up actually. Our friends love it.

How much value in $$$ terms do you think this would add to our property?

would it be considered a fixed chattel? if not, then nothing. If it is, chattels dont usually add more than their replacement value, to bank valuations anyway.

For me it wouldn't add anything, once the novelty wore off after a couple of viewings I'd see it as more of a liability and PITA to maintain than anything else.

I don't think it would add much/any value, unless you were to sell ASAP. Technology is moving too fast these days and everything seems to be outdated six months down the track.

I don't think it will add anything, but if you are selling right now it might appeal a bit more. Maybe in an auction. I love the idea though and since I'm renovating my backyard I'll try to squeeze it into my budget.

I sourced the equipment. I don't care for 3d though and I have I few bits laying around at home, so that's what I saw:

100" retractable screen with tripod $100
HD projector $130
Blue ray player (I have a spare)
Wireless earphones $10 each from The Reject Shop (I have 2 of those as well)

It's not a huge outlay, however I must admit that I don't see myself, wife or the kids enjoying more than a couple of sessions and that's it.

sounds good, how much did it all cost?

A bit over $2K for projector, cables, the Western digital box and the array of connections + $700 for the headphones + about $600 for the screen and the box to house the equipment in the ceiling (not including labour).

That's disappointing that's it's not going to add anything :( we're looking at possibly dwelling the house end of this year.

would it be considered a fixed chattel? if not, then nothing. If it is, chattels dont usually add more than their replacement value, to bank valuations anyway.

I don't know what a chattel is but everything is fixed in including the screen which is concreted in. Not an inflatable or pull down screen.

What's a chattel?

fixed chattels are fixed things that are sold with the house. Usually include things like blinds and curtains, air con etc. They are usually itemised in the contract of sale.

Headphones eh? Do they make 7.1 channel headphones?

No idea, the ones we got are just the 5.1 surround sound ones. We got them from silent party Australia.

Did you know that these days they have silent party rooms/ tents at festivals. I'm told it's like a rave but everyone is wearing wireless headphones and dancing around. I imagine it would be pretty funny to watch.

We're really happy with these headphones. The sound quality is pretty. We'll I can't tell the difference these from Sennheiser or Bose anyway.

I doubt it would add much value from the banks perspective.

If you were thinking about selling it could be a unique selling point - but it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

It sounds great to me though! Is the area heated for winter?

Cheers

Jamie

I doubt it would add much value from the banks perspective.

If you were thinking about selling it could be a unique selling point - but it wouldn't appeal to everyone.

It sounds great to me though! Is the area heated for winter?

Cheers

Jamie

We'll be putting in cafe type outdoor gas heaters. Maybe hang them from the ceiling, I'm not sure yet.

We watched Avatar in 3D the other night and it was pretty awesome, especially the forest night scenes where everything is glowing and floating. I love it as I'm a real movie buff. It's just like being in Gold Class cinemas without having to buy the food and beverage at a premium price.

I can't wait for the new season of Game of Thrown. I imagine we'll be having GoT nights at ours.

Back