Game Change: Bob Carr as backup PM?

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...take-foreign-affairs-role-20120302-1u731.html

Above is link to the surprise announcement that Bob Carr is to be NSW Senator and Foreign Affair Minister. But I see more....

When I first heard this all I could think was it seems to safe bet, if Gillard falls over as PM, then do a LNP QLD. He gets safe house of Rep Seat, and then campaigns as the Leader of ALP and future PM.

For those who think this cannot happen I searched and found that it happened before. John Gorton a senator was appointed prime minister, he subsequently resigned his Senate position and was elected as a member of the House of Representatives (Senator George Pearce was acting prime minister for seven months in 1916 while Billy Hughes was overseas).

What a plan:

Gillard fails more and then as worst case, she steps aside for car and becomes Deputy. He then takes the attack to Abbot for new term. And Carr for all his faults is a savage politician. In a debate with Abbot he would be formidable.

Why else would Carr come in a dying Labor Gov to be Foreign Minister for 18 months? if not the ultimate prize was there.

Your thoughts

Peter 14.7

New Carr- same old driver.

LOl very quick geoff.

That is very interesting...(for those of us that even care lol):eek:

He would appeal to the old folk and the working class family.....the old Labor "values" would appear to be back....generally speaking Labor would have an experienced leader at the helm with good ole fashioned Labor values again. Whether he can implement them or not...it's all in the "äppearance" to be "seeming" to do the right thing and look the part. Sadly.

Wonder what Bill Shorten thinks of all this?

Regards JO

http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/polit...take-foreign-affairs-role-20120302-1u731.html

Above is link to the surprise announcement that Bob Carr is to be NSW Senator and Foreign Affair Minister. But I see more....

When I first heard this all I could think was it seems to safe bet, if Gillard falls over as PM, then do a LNP QLD. He gets safe house of Rep Seat, and then campaigns as the Leader of ALP and future PM.

For those who think this cannot happen I searched and found that it happened before. John Gorton a senator was appointed prime minister, he subsequently resigned his Senate position and was elected as a member of the House of Representatives (Senator George Pearce was acting prime minister for seven months in 1916 while Billy Hughes was overseas).

What a plan:

Gillard fails more and then as worst case, she steps aside for car and becomes Deputy. He then takes the attack to Abbot for new term. And Carr for all his faults is a savage politician. In a debate with Abbot he would be formidable.

Why else would Carr come in a dying Labor Gov to be Foreign Minister for 18 months? if not the ultimate prize was there.

Your thoughts

Peter 14.7
Don't know much about the NSW side of things, but maybe wait till Qld is put too the test in a few weeks then the shock wave will hit all Labor high end ego's,after all when you look into Carrs face and eyes he would not know how many weekends he has left in his life..

JWR, do you reckon Turnbull will strike soon? or not on his agenda any more?

LOL, I was going to add that at the bottom of my last post. Abbott will be working furiously to maintain that little snowball to make sure it doesn't grow out of control. (Malcolm's ego)

I do like Malcolm though, for what it's worth. Not sure if he is a team player though. The Liberal Party's Kevin Rudd.

Regards JO

Not a political expert so not sure if Turnbull would run again (I hope so though - and I could always ask him since he is in my electorate)

If Abbott loses next election (he probably will win though) then Turnbull is over but if Abbott loses Turnbull (or someone else) will take over.

I don't anticipate anyone challenging Abbott before the election since he is doing a good job.

NSW was waiting years to get rid of Car and the labor government so
I can't see Car getting NSW over the federal line in an election.

Anyway they would probably do something stupid and make him
transport minister and this is someone who doesn't even drive or have a licence.
So us tax payers pickup all his transport needs, at least sometimes you see
a polly driving his own vehicle around.

I think they are all tared with the same brush all working for themselves and
definitely not us.

Rant over.

Turnbull has demonstrated that he is not a party man - and therefore he won't be leader any time soon.

As for Bill Shorten - well, if he becomes PM we are all f**cked - more militant unionism (See the nurses debacle in Victoria, Qantas)

do you reckon Turnbull will strike soon?

...I find it interesting how a thread about Labor and Bob Carr only takes 4 posts to be turned back onto the Libs...

For the record, Turnbull was dumped from the Liberal Federal leadership cos he kept agreeing with all of the loony left policies of the Greens and Labor.....hence why, ever since, all of the loony left keep constantly asking for him to be Leader again.

It ain't gonna happen.

The conservatives wanted someone at the helm to represent their views and beliefs, which are diametrically opposite to the Greens and Labor values and beliefs. They now have that in Abbott, and after the major success he had in stripping 16 seats away from Labor at the last election he'll get the guernsey again.....not surprisingly he opposes the policies of the Greens and Labor.

It is that very thing, opposing the policies of the Greens and Labor, that will deliver Govt to them at the next election, by a very large margin. There won't be any switching back to silver tailed leftie wannabes Republicans like Turnbull.

......getting back on track to the subject of the thread......

Did anyone see Bob Carr's wife and the expression on her face ?? Classic. Her comments were telling as well.

Bob's apparently coming up to 65, and she wasn't too impressed with the whole show. A cup of tea, the newspaper and some slippers was about as far as her ambitions went for him.

I think Bob Carr has the same thing in him as what drives Hawke and Rudd, it's all they know....it's their passion.....and no-one ever retires from their passion.

Once again, an outstanding, experienced proven candidate such as Stephen Smith for the position of Foreign Minister has taken one in the neck to parachute in some high profile NSW candidate. I wonder who's calling the shots on this one.

As a by-line, the pathetic lies and half truths and outright denials that we've seen this week from our PM over this issue is just more of the same. She's just digging herself more of grave come election time. It's her old law training coming to the fore.....they are simply incapable of admitting anything, at all, ever.

"I haven't approached Bob Carr." (Someone else did).
"I haven't spoken to Bob Carr." (Someone else did).
"There are a number of people we've approached."
"I haven't spoken with Julia about it." says Bob Carr.
"I can confirm that we have appointed Bob Carr." :rolleyes:

I wonder who's calling the shots on this one.

The Boss of course, our Prime Minister, Julia Gillard.

Caught ole Tony with his pants down, been squealing since Monday, "Gillard had approached Carr, but the 'faceless' men had not wanted him, they wanted Smith", he had been calling her the 'puppet'.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat. (As he does so well, think cracked record Abbott).

Oops, Tony, Carr is Foreign Minister.

I think the last 7 days of politics in this country (for Abbott) has been the week of 'trivial negative desperation.'

Whatya got for that Dazz?:D

Bex and a lay down?

2vtwgzq.jpg

Oops, slipped in...

Is that all you could pull out of my post, half a line ??

Looks like the answer (and truth) about your hero Malcolm's plight didn't sit too well....no mention, not a skerrick, no quotation, just avoided with a very wide berth.

You'll no doubt leave it alone for now and later, come up with a blindingly good suggestion of perhaps Malcolm Turnbull as leader of the Libs in the next political thread that pops up on here no doubt. :D

....and so we dance the circle dance....going absolutely nowhere.

Still yet to hear even one poster, just one, in all this time, actually changing their beliefs based on silly nit-picking commentary (with added pretty pictures !!).

On both sides of politics, a completely futile cause, as so amply demonstrated in the Parliament every day....and in this forum. 'Tis highly irrelevant discourse.

An election is the only thing that matters. Bring it on and let's see !!!

With you Dazz that a quesiton re Labor ends up Lib V Labor argument.

I posted this question as I actually worked with Bob Carr on some projects, minor role and found him to be very intelligent. He was so bright he knew when to step down, before NSW fell over.

He is journalist not Union man or Career Pollie Or Lawyer.

How savvy? There is the urban myth, he was a mistake Premier. That is Greiner was so powerful they gave Carr the Leader job as like night watchman. Hold the fort until we have chance with another bloke. Griener self imploded and Carr shows he was formidable.

So having achieved so much, Premier for 10 years and resigning on his terms. No failures. Elder Statesman. Wealthy. Academic. Not Egotistical by nature. Bookish. Why take the job.... I mean Foreign Minister is interesting but enough to come out of retirement?

But as, proven campaigner, never lost, articulate, ex Premier, statesman, he is an obvious choice for Prime Minister, if the present one continues to fail.

Personally I have some reservation about Abbot but strongly believe our country cannot survive another 4 years of Labor/Green policies. Gillarsd will lose unless Abbot does a "Brogden" , that is an amazingly stupid career ending move.

Peter 14.7

PS Brogden: ex NSW Opposition Leader who on the day Carr resigns, said, I am going to win, got drunk and groped a female reporter, then lied, then tried to suicide.

Back