Game Change: Bob Carr as backup PM?

Who voted for Bob Carr...what electorate...? How in **** name does this happen....????

He's a nobody retired pollie then whammo instant senator.....WTF???:eek::eek::eek:

God save us please.

Interesting read of Antony Green's Blog:

Carr to Canberra - The Record of Premiers Who Have Gone Federal

With the move of former NSW Premier Bob Carr to the Senate and into the role of Foreign Minister, it is worth looking back at the chequered history of government leaders moving from the small pond of State and Territory politics to the big pool in Canberra.

Carr becomes the 30th Premier (plus two Chief Ministers) to have made the transfer to Federal politics. Only six (plus two Chief Ministrers) have occurred since the Second World War, though several other shifts were mooted. Twelve took place at Federation, and another twelve between Federation and the Second World War.

Only two former Premiers have gone on to become Prime Minister. George Reid was Prime Minister of New South Wales 1894-1899, and served as Australia’s 4th Prime Minister, 1904-1905. Joseph Lyons was Premier of Tasmania 1923-28, and the 10th Prime Minister 1932-1939.

Rest is here...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who voted for Bob Carr...what electorate...? How in **** name does this happen....????

He's a nobody retired pollie then whammo instant senator.....WTF???:eek::eek::eek:

God save us please.
Don't get stressed. This is standard practice. When a casual vacancy occurs in the senate it is filled by another nominee from the same party.

Don't get stressed. This is standard practice. When a casual vacancy occurs in the senate it is filled by another nominee from the same party.

It's more than just standard practice. The constitution provides for a casual vacancy to be filled by an appointment from the state government, from the same party as the departing senator if he or she was a member of the party. It is customary for a state to follow the recommendation of the federal government.

One current minister first entered the senate in this manner.

It's more than just standard practice. The constitution provides for a casual vacancy to be filled by an appointment from the state government, from the same party as the departing senator if he or she was a member of the party. It is customary for a state to follow the recommendation of the federal government.

One current minister first entered the senate in this manner.

It wasn't always so Geoff. In '84 - '85 Sir Joh replaced a retiring labor senator with a "disgruntled" labor candidate, [was it Bert Field?] who promptly joined the libs in voting against supply for Gough with the infamous result.

I suggest that the current lib gov in NSW would have loved to do something similar. :D

Yes it was Albert Field. I was thinking of Senator Fielding but of course couldn't find the reference.

The other famous battle between Joh and Gough over the senate was the Gair Affair

We oldies have seen some interesting politics in our time.

Politics is never dull for the aficionados. The recent spectacle was unusual, but no less edifying than others such as the Khemlani Affair.

Back.

First media reports late last weeks of Gillard stepping aside (not sacked that woudl be too ironic), names put forward, Shorten, Smith and you guessed it, Carr.

Betcha betting odds are shortening, Peter 14.7

Back.

First media reports late last weeks of Gillard stepping aside (not sacked that woudl be too ironic), names put forward, Shorten, Smith and you guessed it, Carr.

Betcha betting odds are shortening, Peter 14.7

Carr would have to move to a safe seat in the House of Reps......In this political environment, a very safe seat....

9 months out from the 2013 election (before the next Federal budget) if the ALP is still behind as per the polls today, a change will be made, whether forced or a mutual departure.

You wont have backbenchers saying we are heading into oblivion (ie I am going to lose my job)and do nothing about it.....

Carr would have to move to a safe seat in the House of Reps......In this political environment, a very safe seat....

Seat, TICK

Carr lives in Seat of Kingsford Smith. Was 15% margin until 2010 but now only 5% which could be because it has Peter ( I can stuff anything) Garrett as member. Carr is long time local hero. Ex Premier. He could save it.

Even ABC website says

History/Trivia

Created in 1949, the electorate is named after pioneer aviator, Sir Charles Kingsford Smith. His name also adorns Sydney Airport, which is in the electorate, and from the opening of the third runway and until the defeat of the Keating government, was one of the major headaches of sitting member Laurie Brereton. The seat was held by former Deputy Prime Minister Lionel Bowen, 1969-90, and on his retirement, it had always been intended that Bob Carr would succeed him. However, after the smashing defeat of the Unsworth government at the 1988 state election, the lifeline was grabbed by Laurie Brereton instead, Carr staying on to become Labor Opposition Leader and later Premier. Brereton retired in 2004 and engineered the local numbers to allow Peter Garret to win pre-selection.

Peter 14.7

So is NSW nearly bankrupt or not?

Yes, but I understand not as bad as VIC was with Cain but yes, pretty stuffed. But of course Carr resigned before it all went bad so his reputation was untarnished.:rolleyes: Like Bracks in VIC.

Smart Pollie Carr ;)hence why I see more in his move to Fed than simply Foreign Minster. WHY?

It is even more clear Julia will be lucky to make the next election. Rudd is buried. Shorten had potential but why waste a good Pollie reputation on a 99% no win situation? Hence Carr is a smart bet. WHY

He is old for PM. If he wins he would stay say 3 to 6 years and hand over to Shorten. If he loses, so what? he had a go and lost nothing as does anyone think Carr wants to be senator in opposition? Gets him out of being Senator, WIN/WIN

And IMO Libs will only lose if Abbot can be made to say what many fear, he is racist, church enforcing, gay hating, economic fool nutter. To do this only a very skilled debater will bring it. Julia is weak. Shorten untested but Carr is a an attack dog in debate.

This labor strategy must be to focus on Abbott and what he will do as PM.

They cannot say, we are good at....... because everything went pear shaped.:eek:

They cannot say trust us because....Carbon tax.:mad:

They can only say, yes, we stuffed up, we are crap but he is evil!:eek:

Carr can bring it.

Regards Peter 14.7

And you'd be happy if that was the strategy and the outcome to boot...???

Wow, where are the thoughts for the country mate...?

Typical Labour party only interested in power at all costs, even at the expense of their very own.

makes me puke...!!:mad:

And you'd be happy if that was the strategy and the outcome to boot...???

Typical Labour party only interested in power at all costs, even at the expense of their very own.

Personally No. making an observation free of my own politics.

By bringing to our attention I inform but I do not endorse.

Ditto, except the puke bit.

Regards Peter 14.7

Fixed that for you so it is now accurate.

How dare you...you leave my posts as they are.!!

Just goes to show that you are no more than a troll who has an agenda of nothing more than to upset and disrupt this forum with your tricky smart talk and your own political vibes yet so eloquently deny and play the man on.

How dare you change my post to suit yourself and your twisted, unbrave, annonymous self.:mad:

How dare you...you leave my posts as they are.!!

Just goes to show that you are no more than a troll who has an agenda of nothing more than to upset and disrupt this forum with your tricky smart talk and your own political vibes yet so eloquently deny and play the man on.

How dare you change my post to suit yourself and your twisted, unbrave, annonymous self.:mad:

Chill a bit, Fence. You're getting carried away. Declared 'fixing' posts to alter meanings is common on this forum. It's declared openly so it's like a new post. We are just debating ideas, fair enough?

No, he said hes fixed my post so that is now accurate.

It;s not accurate to what I said. B&W mate, read it and weep.

I don't **** around with words I say what I mean and don't misconstrue what others say.

Is that fair or are you feeling like you have argued enough and feel you want me to settle down because I wont and I may get some sort of upperhand.

I can argue like this for hours and sound no different to you lot except that I am straight in what I say, I don't pussy around making clever twisting comments.

It's my opinion, dont play me etc etc....is all you lot say in defence.

Unbelievable.

What?

It was a comment that politics was by its nature dog eat dog.

I was expanding that to include other parties. Liberal, greens, family first, democrats, whoever.

If it makes you feel better I'll go back and edit my post.

As said above, its forum protocol to do it like that. If it offends you it wasn't intentional - It's something which is accepted at every other forum I'm on.

Chill a bit, Fence. You're getting carried away. Declared 'fixing' posts to alter meanings is common on this forum. It's declared openly so it's like a new post. We are just debating ideas, fair enough?

Belbo

What's your definition of common? 5%, 1%, .1%.

No doubt you can put up a few examples over the last few days as it's
common.

Fence

Probably happens once in every 1000 or so posts, usually by someone trying to flame the poster.

This type of posting has been criticised before on this site.

Last edited:
As said above, its forum protocol to do it like that. If it offends you it wasn't intentional - It's something which is accepted at every other forum I'm on.

This is the only forum I am on and I dont accept that it is your right to change my post to suit yourself.

Who are you....GOD?

Back