Garlic shop is now open

Hopes this is okay with the mods ... quite a few people here have been asking for me to let them know.

We only have the Italian Red at this stage - selling fast - as the next "Turban" variety is currently drying after harvest last week - and the Creole won't be harvested for another two weeks - super delicious

All our garlic is organically grown is hand harvested

www.pokolbinpurple.com.au

Attachments

• WP_20141123_002.jpg
    WP_20141123_002.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 75
Congratulations Lizzie
Does this mean real estate investment is over and out for the moment, I expect you are flat out with your business??.... and luvin it:)

Hi

Well done on the business and wish you the best of luck.

You should consider approaching www.creativeingredients.com.au who are a large trade supplier of unique ingredients to the restaurant trade and see if you can get them to buy some of your garlic.

Regards,

alicudi

I'd love to buy some of the garlic that lasts a while. I think you said you package it in a special way and we don't keep it in the fridge (or we DO keep it in the fridge).

How is it best for us to order. Should we send you a PM?

Hi Lizzie.

I don't think that any mods would let a long standing member who has contributed heaps to mention www.pokolbinpurple.com.au in such a way ;-)

However when I view the page on chrome on an android device, I can't view the whole page in one go. I can't change the page size, and I can't scroll to the right, so j. An only see the left 2/3rds. Just FYI.

Hi Lizzie.

I don't think that any mods would let a long standing member who has contributed heaps to mention www.pokolbinpurple.com.au in such a way ;-)

However when I view the page on chrome on an android device, I can't view the whole page in one go. I can't change the page size, and I can't scroll to the right, so j. An only see the left 2/3rds. Just FYI.

Thanks Geoff. I see I can click through from that link to buy the garlic.

Lizzie, before I do so, I'm wanting the cryo-pack. Do I need to specify this?

Congratulations Lizzie
Does this mean real estate investment is over and out for the moment, I expect you are flat out with your business??.... and luvin it:)

Hahaha - never ... just finished renovating the kitchen - hubby doing the final paint coat today in the aircon, while 44 outside.

We should also be settling on the tourist cottages by Christmas (been going since April! :eek:).

wish you the best of luck.

You should consider approaching www.creativeingredients.com.au who are a large trade supplier of unique ingredients to the restaurant trade and see if you can get them to buy some of your garlic.

Thanks for that Alicudi ... this is our first year and I don't think we'll have the volume to supply an organisation that size.

However, we are selling direct to one of the local restaurants. It's two hatted and is taking all our scapes (flower heads) and our fresh, undersized garlic bulbs (the size of a 20c) ... fresh garlic can be eaten skin and all ... these bulbs are to small to normally do anything with and are generally scrapped.

However, Troy is buying these mini bulbs to vacuum pack them whole with butter, steaming them to cook and then when there is sufficient supply, they will add them to their menu to serve roast whole (as baby garlic) with suckling pig. Yum!

Attachments

• WP_20141107_001.jpg
    WP_20141107_001.jpg
    538.7 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
I'd love to buy some of the garlic that lasts a while. I think you said you package it in a special way and we don't keep it in the fridge (or we DO keep it in the fridge).

How is it best for us to order. Should we send you a PM?

We box them up with wood wool so all you have to do is open the box and leave it in a well ventilated position - on top of the fridge, in the laundry or even in the garage is fine.

Preferably not in a cupboard - and definitely not in the fridge. Remember that garlic is a living product so don't wrap it in plastic as this will smother it.

As this is freshly dried garlic, with no chemicals or cold storage, if stored properly it should last well until around end of March 2015 - assuming you don't eat it all before then ;)

I too want the cryo-packed (vacuum packed) garlic ... :D ... but you need garlic that has just been harvest - only a few days old at most - and not had it's skins dried. We don't do this - but I can let you know when the restaurant has them on the menu and you'll just "have" to visit.

We box them up with wood wool so all you have to do is open the box and leave it in a well ventilated position - on top of the fridge, in the laundry or even in the garage is fine.

Preferably not in a cupboard - and definitely not in the fridge. Remember that garlic is a living product so don't wrap it in plastic as this will smother it.

As this is freshly dried garlic, with no chemicals or cold storage, if stored properly it should last well until around end of March 2015 - assuming you don't eat it all before then ;)

I too want the cryo-packed (vacuum packed) garlic ... :D ... but you need garlic that has just been harvest - only a few days old at most - and not had it's skins dried. We don't do this - but I can let you know when the restaurant has them on the menu and you'll just "have" to visit.

Thanks Lizzie. I don't care if it is cryo packed but thought that was what made it last longer. If I buy some of yours and leave it in our laundry and it lasts a few months, that is all I need.

We use garlic for cooking and also roasting? Is there one you recommend over another? I tried to buy the mixed kilo but it is out of stock?

We use garlic for cooking and also roasting? Is there one you recommend over another? I tried to buy the mixed kilo but it is out of stock?

Only the Italian Red is available at the moment ... one of the others has only just been harvested (so not properly dried for another 1-2 weeks) and the other won't be harvested for another 2-3 weeks.

I find them all delicious and perfect for any application. The Italian Red does have bigger cloves than the Creoles ... but smaller than the Turbans that are currently drying ... so it's personal choice as to whether you want to buy now or wait a couple of weeks for the next batch.

:D

Only the Italian Red is available at the moment ... one of the others has only just been harvested (so not properly dried for another 1-2 weeks) and the other won't be harvested for another 2-3 weeks.

I find them all delicious and perfect for any application. The Italian Red does have bigger cloves than the Creoles ... but smaller than the Turbans that are currently drying ... so it's personal choice as to whether you want to buy now or wait a couple of weeks for the next batch.

:D

Thanks Lizzie. All done. My first order. I'm looking forward to trying another type in a few weeks :D.

Lizzie gave me a bagful of mixed bulbs earlier this year.

You won't be disappointed. This stuff has all the flavour we used to get before the cheap bleached imports flooded the shops.

I reckon it's time I visited the garlic farm again :)

I reckon it's time I visited the garlic farm again :)

Always welcome ... although been a little hot lately :eek:

Don't worry Mojos ... I could never forget you ;)

Direct sales appear to be our biggest outlet so far ... via the local market, hubby's work or word of mouth to locals. Haven't tackled the restaurants (asides from the smalls) this year, as I want to build up my "personal" relationships first.

Maybe next year for the restaurants when I have double the quantity

Has Handmade in the Hunter occurred for November? Or is it this weekend? And will you be there?

All done for November (2nd and 4th Saturdays - plus concert days) ... next market is Saturday 6th (concert) - and then Saturday 13th of December ... we'll be there for both with our fresh, organically grown garlic and "Spotty Dog" :D

Make yourself known!

Hi Lizzie,

In the mixed half dozen description (http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/pokolbin-purple-garlic-half-kilo/) it mentions "from lingering and mellow Italian Red, to the sharp and spicy Pokolbin Purple" but then on this page (http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/italian-red-half-kilo/) the Italian Red half kilo is described as "A Spanish hardneck garlic with white outer skins and bright burgundy cloves. This variety has a hot and complex flavour that dissipates quickly." That sounds very different from 'lingering and mellow'!!

It's very similar to the Pokolbin Creole description on http://www.pokolbinpurple.com.au/product/pokolbincreole-half-kilo-2/ "A Creole hardneck garlic with white outer skins and bright burgundy cloves. This variety has a hot and complex flavour that dissipates quickly."

I do like garlic but am no expert on its flavour so is Italian Red more lingering and mellow or hot and complex?

And also can you please estimate how many bulbs would be in a half kilo? I'm tossing up between the half kilo and the full kilo. Although maybe actually I should ask instead what the box dimensions are because of the recommendation to store it on an open shelf.

:)

Back