Gas bill - Who Pays?

Hi everyone,

Our problem relates to what happened with our IP's gas supply after we had vacated and cancelled our account with the supplier. The IP has Gas hot water and heating, we left our heater there for tenants use. We vacated the property on Feb 27 2009 and moved to another town an hour and 1/2 away from our IP. As there were cleaners coming in the following week and the agents to do the condition report etc, I left the disconnections of utilities until the week after everything was done.

Once our Gas account was cancelled, we received the final account in the mail at our new address, obviously the gas meter was read and billed accordingly. We paid the bill and thought nothing of it. The agents weren't able to get tenants in until May 23 2009 (yes paying mortgage and rent every week was not fun!). Then last week we received Gas bills stating something like 'The previous occupants have cancelled their account, the gas was not disconnected, now we need to set up your account and bill you for Gas supplied from May - Feb as you have not set up your account with us' I contacted the Gas company and was told that I need to pay the bill as I am the landlord and therefore liable for all charges!

I rang our PM and they said they would bill the tenants if I faxed them the Gas bill, so I did. I don't think the tenents were deliberately not paying a bill, they just hadn't realised they had to set up an account and obviously weren't being billed so were none the wiser. I thought the problem was solved until I received a second gas bill which was for the period after our account was cancelled and then up until the tenancy began (so March-May). I'm assuming the charges ($57.00 or so) was from the water heating up constantly? Am I liable for this charge even though i cancelled our account prior, the meter was read and the final account paid? And also, whose responsibility is it to disconnect a Gas supply when an account is closed, the PM, the Landlord or the Gas company? Now if it was our responsibility as landlords, did they really expect us to drive all the way back there just to turn the Gas off or should the Gas company have sent someone around there. It's Natural Gas supplied by AGL. Can anyone shed some light on this please? If we have to pay, I will pay it, but I really don't think I'm responsible! Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,
Nicki

Funny, if you do the same with AGL electricity you're NOT obliged to pay for electricity after your account was closed. But someone has to pay. We got someone else's massive electricity bill (no account, they were just using it without it being "connected") for the period before we got our house, we just had to prove we weren't living there before X date and the previous owner had to pay.

I would have thought the same would apply here - tell AGL that someone else has a lease there, thus the bill needs to go to them. Could be different rules for owners and renters though.

Its your bill, between the time you vacated and the tenant moved in
left the hotwater turned on,
would be 0 bill if the valve were off and no gas being used​
opinion only

Hi everyone,

Our problem relates to what happened with our IP's gas supply after we had vacated and cancelled our account with the supplier. The IP has Gas hot water and heating, we left our heater there for tenants use. We vacated the property on Feb 27 2009 and moved to another town an hour and 1/2 away from our IP. As there were cleaners coming in the following week and the agents to do the condition report etc, I left the disconnections of utilities until the week after everything was done.

Once our Gas account was cancelled, we received the final account in the mail at our new address, obviously the gas meter was read and billed accordingly. We paid the bill and thought nothing of it. The agents weren't able to get tenants in until May 23 2009 (yes paying mortgage and rent every week was not fun!). Then last week we received Gas bills stating something like 'The previous occupants have cancelled their account, the gas was not disconnected, now we need to set up your account and bill you for Gas supplied from May - Feb as you have not set up your account with us' I contacted the Gas company and was told that I need to pay the bill as I am the landlord and therefore liable for all charges!

This is BS as you can state who was occupying property from May - Feb and they (the tenants) are liable.

I rang our PM and they said they would bill the tenants if I faxed them the Gas bill, so I did. I don't think the tenents were deliberately not paying a bill, they just hadn't realised they had to set up an account and obviously weren't being billed so were none the wiser. I thought the problem was solved until I received a second gas bill which was for the period after our account was cancelled and then up until the tenancy began (so March-May). I'm assuming the charges ($57.00 or so) was from the water heating up constantly? Am I liable for this charge even though i cancelled our account prior, the meter was read and the final account paid?

Yes you are liable as although they read the meter they do not actually turn of the gas on the expectation that someone will occupy and use gas immediately.

And also, whose responsibility is it to disconnect a Gas supply when an account is closed, the PM, the Landlord or the Gas company? Now if it was our responsibility as landlords, did they really expect us to drive all the way back there just to turn the Gas off or should the Gas company have sent someone around there. It's Natural Gas supplied by AGL. Can anyone shed some light on this please? If we have to pay, I will pay it, but I really don't think I'm responsible! Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,
Nicki

As you left the water heater on you are liable. You could argue the case that you expected them to actually turn of the gas as you knew that no one was going to occupy but I would think it will be a drawn out discussion.;)

Cheers

Thanks for the replies. I had a closer look at the bills, they are all actually for the periods AFTER we had closed the account. The PM has been in contact with AGL and sent copies of all bills to the tenants (the receptionist informed me when I rang). I have called and left another message with the PM as AGL today informed me that even though the account is in no-ones actual name, I'm liable to pay the entire amount if the tenants fail to open their own account in there own name.

AGL also said that they never turn the gas off after accounts are closed, they will keep billing every quarter for their Service Charge (meter reading) even if the reading is always the same because a property is vacant. So why do they print the following on thir bills? "Moving Premises - Please call us at least three days prior to vacating your premises, or moving to a new address, to arrange a final meter reading. This will ensure you are not charged for energy used after your departure". What a contradiction!

So does this mean that if you are a vacating tenant, you won't be charged after the final reading but if you are the landlord you are stuck with a bill that isn't in your name because someone hasn't made a phonecall to open an account? If the tenants don't open that account, I'll have to check if my landords Insurance will cover this, I'm not going to pay someone elses fricking bill! Ain't it fun owning an IP?

Given that clause on the bill and the contractual obligation on the gas company that clause provides,
I think I'd be pi**ed off ( Very upset) and demand credit and apology.

Their 'business practice' is irelevant to the terms and conditions they advertise.

Yes Almostbob! That is precisely my point, I read that little gem to the AGL operator and she changed the subject! The PM just called back and she said she will speak to the tenants again. Their dteails have been passed on to AGL but AGL said they can't bill them yet because they haven't called them yet to set up the account. The PM also said that she won't inform the tenants that if they don't call to set up the account, they aren't liable and I am. The PM also said that as far as she was aware, AGL are at fault and not us and that we AREN'T liable? Go figure!

Back