gas Vs electric heating costs

Hi All - can anyone please give me an idea of what to pay for heating a home - Trying to rent it out but no one likes the wood fire burner!

It has solar installed so elec wont cost too much to run.

4 bedroom house in St Albans - Dont want to spend too much! :confused:

reverse cycle aircon and natural gas heating are similar cost to run. LPG is a bit more & traditional electric is bucket loads more (5x as expensive).

reverse cycle aircon and natural gas heating are similar cost to run. LPG is a bit more & traditional electric is bucket loads more (5x as expensive).

From my experience LPG is heaps more expensive. We had a house with LPG and changed to Reverse cycle and reckoned the payback period was around 2-3 years. (It was about 12 years ago so haven't got the figures anymore )

Electricity in sydney is about 29c/kwh
NG is 4.1c/MJ
9kg bottle are... $25 to fill? Thats 417MJ, so 17c/MJ.

Going for maximum efficiency, the Daikin Ururu Sarara is 580% efficient (3.6kw of heat for 620w power draw), so 5.1c per kw/h electric

The Paloma prs-250 heater uses 25mj/h of gas to provide 5.9kw of heat, so 17c per kw/h NG and 72c/kwh LPG.

Gas has gone up since I last worked it out- and LPG is pricey. I think you can get larger bottles for more like $1.50/L, which is more like 5c/MJ- pretty similar to NG.

Of course, if you have a smart meter then electric could cost more then the above in peak hours- 52c/kwh comes to 9c per kw/h of heat in peak with the above aircon unit.

As it is a rental, who cares what the operating costs are.

The tenant is paying.

More importantly you should be asking:

1. Which one costs the least to install.
2. Which one can let me get my property rented out for more, or more quickly (less vacancy).

As it is a rental, who cares what the operating costs are.

The tenant is paying.

Having been a tenant several times and I care and wouldn't even consider a property with bottled gas.

Those that don't know how much bottled gas costs will be looking to move on after the first winter!

Having been a tenant several times and I care and wouldn't even consider a property with bottled gas.

Those that don't know how much bottled gas costs will be looking to move on after the first winter!

Bottled gas?

We are talking about Australia right?

If the costs aren't crazy different, most tenants would rather just sign the new lease then go through all the hassle of finding a new place, overlapping 2 rental properties rental periods, moving furniture etc.

Back