G'day I'm back. Been busy with the renovations.

G'day there,

Well I'm back perusing Somersoft and gathering my ideas and thoughts on doing things the best way we can.

After the last load of renovations, on one of our IP's after a tenant did a whole heap of damage we decided that we would do something for ourselves (kind of) this year. We expect to be here for 2 years at least, so I'll enjoy it for a while. In the past our renovations have only been 'ours' for a few weeks, before renting them out.

I'm preg's with #3, so doing this reno was never as easy as it could have been otherwise but it has worked out ok so far.

July 25th saw the kitchen being ripped out. July 26th me ordering new kitchen from Ikea. Some where between then and now, we also decided to do the laundry. A blur of busy renovations from there on in, and last Thursday saw the Caesar stone bench tops go in. The kitchen is almost complete, but as always all those little bits at the end of the reno always are the time consuming bits. The odd jobs that stack up. It's one month on today.

On reflection, I wonder if we have over capitalized or added value to this property. It doesn't help that it looks like a bomb went off in the back yard, with an abundance of off cuts and tools, paint ect.

We brought new Asko Dishwasher (house didn't have one, and for a 4br 2bth I thought that a family home should eventually run better and sell better with one there). We also installed a range hood, new sink, new bench top in laundry and laundry sink, and new cupboards with loads of storage space. We also brought a front loader and dryer from Asko... which we will be taking with us ($3400). All up our reno will come in to approximately a massive (for us) $15K without the washer/dryer.

What do you think? Was it too much to spend?

I know there aren't pictures, but generally how much is a reasonable amount for these area's?

Thanks heaps for tolerating my absence.
DH is now keen for another IP...... here we go again.

Congrats on renoing while pregs, thats a fair effort ;)

You're asking if 15k is too much but what are we to base that on? 15k for a sydney Harborside house will barely make a difference whereas for a shack in a sub 1000 person town itd almost replace it :p

Before and after shots would be great :)

I'm not sure what you mean dtreager. I'm sure that the same kitchen would cost the same amount, the same sink ect no matter which suburb or state you are living in. They are base costs. DH and I did most of the work, with the help of some friends, a sparky (around 1-2 hours so far). Where would the cost explode out depending on the area?
I'll work on some before and after, and loading them up. I love to see these too ;)

Yes the kitchen can cost the same. However, if you put a spanking new kitchen with ceaser stone benchtops in a housing commission area you may not get any return on your dollar investment - either in equity or rent.

Put the same kitchen in a more desirable area where oo want to live and your say 6k kitchen spend adds 20k to value.

What he means Ruff is that to make an estimate if you have over capitalised we would need to know the area that the house is in.

If you bought a $800,000 house and did a 15k reno... chances are you would not have over capitalised.

If you bought a $40,000 house and did a 15k reno... chances are you would have over capitalised.

Even though the $ spent on the renovation is the same, the expectancy of buyers and renters in different areas would be different. Eg someone looking to rent a $40,000 house would not expect a great kitchen..

Edit. Beaten

Ok I see where you are coming from now.

The house is a 4bdr, 2bth in Traralgon, VIC. It's a growing town... it's actually growing a little too fast for me. We brought in 2007, and it was listed at $255K then.

These days, you can't get a 4bdr brick house for under $290K conservatively here and they are rare. So I'm hoping that we will be in good form. It's rarer that they have plenty of car room. But not everyone looks for this.

So $15K seems like a bit of a gamble. The house still needs a fair bit of work in the next two years. Mainly painting.... which we dislike. But it has to be done.

Ok I see where you are coming from now.

The house is a 4bdr, 2bth in Traralgon, VIC. It's a growing town... it's actually growing a little too fast for me. We brought in 2007, and it was listed at $255K then.

These days, you can't get a 4bdr brick house for under $290K conservatively here and they are rare. So I'm hoping that we will be in good form. It's rarer that they have plenty of car room. But not everyone looks for this.

So $15K seems like a bit of a gamble. The house still needs a fair bit of work in the next two years. Mainly painting.... which we dislike. But it has to be done.
$15k is not over the top I don't reckon, but the less you can spend the better, of course.

Painting is ok; it's getting your head around it that is hard - once you start it's actually fun.

The worst bit is preparation - cleaning walls, then bog holes etc, and sanding.

I like to do each step in entirety for the whole house - wash every room before next step, then fill holes before next step, etc.

No revisiting the same pain later. :D

Bay view- That would be great.... except this is our PPOR and we have two children and a house full of stuff and baby things mounting up too.

It is SO much easier, quicker and less painful painting a house that you are not living in. Just saying ;)

Bay view- That would be great.... except this is our PPOR and we have two children and a house full of stuff and baby things mounting up too.

It is SO much easier, quicker and less painful painting a house that you are not living in. Just saying ;)
ah, yes - of course.

Sorry; I had assumed it was an empty house.

I reckon the strategy then is to clear out one room completely if possible and do it from go to whoa, then move to the next, etc.

Back