Gen Y PI's, Please Tell Us Your Story.

Thanks for the invite Belu, but I'm not scheduled to visit Melbourne anytime soon.

I managed to catch up with a few of the Qld crew earlier this year, and am likely to pop into Adelaide later this year, so I might show up to Xenia's little monthly soiree.

....now back to the young'uns stories, as they are great to hear.

Amazing thread!!

So i'm another one born in 1981. :D I have also been around property all my life, in fact being the bright kid of immigrants I sort of ran the property portfolio as a kid.

so a couple of years ago tenants burnt down and destroyed an IP which i spent the first 6 years of my life in. My parents turned around and told me it was all mine and could do what I wanted with it. So we spoke about it and my parents suggested I develop the site. i think there could have been 3 townhouses on it. I was only 23 at the time, earning good money so it was do-able with my parents helping me a little bit, and going guarantor.
Then my parents suggested I build two townhouses instead with one being bigger and better than the other. The better one I would live in, and as they said the other would be a IP and if i'm off on mat leave i will still have a source of income. This is what I planned to do, went to council and all, made appointment to see the architect and i was ready to go.

I remember the night before I waked into my parents room at like midnight as I had spent the past two days thinking about what I was about to do, and I had a change of mind.

At the 11th hour it had sunk in that I was getting a block of land in Melb, east side, 12km from the city....for nothing. I realised that, this sort of opportunity (and luck) will never come again for nothing. I understood that the price of land would only increase and it was always my desire to continue living where i grew up rather than in whoop whoop. So we spent a few hours that night discussing and the next morning and I decided that I was going to build my dream PPOR. Re scheduled architect appointment for a month later and I gave him my brief of what I wanted and after while of going back and forth I got exactly what I wanted.

So here I was at 24 about to build my PPOR. It was exciting and scary. I was the owner builder (well dad was) I just said what I wanted and it was done. I maximized the land, I had/have no interest what so ever in gardening or mowing lawn so my design took that in account. I had no budget, I got what some would call a McMansion. I wanted bricks that cost $1100 -1200 per thou, I wanted commercial windows, 2pac kitchens and vanities, black galaxy granite, downlights throughout, 3.7 something cielings in the entry, hall and living area, 2.7 throughout the rest of the house, stainless steel rope balustrades, 2340 doors, 140 skirts, 90 archs, kohler basins in all bathrooms and toilets, solid jarrah timber floor, jarrah staircases, glass balconies and alfresco, bifolds, office downstairs with separate entry, nexion keyless front door system. So my PPOR is a few months away from completion. I have NO regrets what so ever. I should also add that thanks to my parents and especially partner who did the carpentry and organized quality tradies at mates rates, the house ended up costing much less than i thought it should of. I also would like to add that my PPOR loan is quite small and paid for by the money recieved from rent of other IPs.

Now most people here might think that I was insane by not developing the site but as I mentioned earlier about my opportunity i'm glad i didn't.

Now i'm just soaking up all the info on investing like a sponge until our next move which will be probably some time in 2009. I don't want to do anything until my house is complete and i'm in there.

My partner is a chippy and builder, he has a job as a builder at the start of 09, work lined up for other builders as a chippy on development sites throughout 09. We'll do our plan and figures, involve our family if we need to and do our own developments. No doubt down the track there will be another dream PPOR designed and built.

Can you show/PM me the thread where I called you/your purchase 'stupid'??

I know I used quote marks but I didn't mean to imply that you used that word, so if anyone took it as such sorry about that.

The quotes meant to indicate that it was actually a smart move looking back now. Without using a BA I probably wouldn't have purchased.

I posted up lots of detail about a purchase I made and you strongly expressed your opinion that people shouldn't use BA's because it's 'overpaying' and you lose CONTROL.

Everyone is allowed an opinion but they way it was presented was honestly a little annoying at the time. It wasn't just me either.

Overall you still have a positive net result on this forum as indicated by your kudos. I just didn't like this instance of your posting earlier in this thread and felt I the need to say something. I know you're capable of much better posting as you have written many other posts that I like.

born 1980.

working class background - both sides for 4 generation. was a wealthy land baron in the line but he didn;t leave me anything!

bought first 51sqm 2x1 unit 2001 WEMBLEY WA $60k - renovated & sold mid 2004 for$139k

used money to upgrade to 3x1 in KARRINYUP WA on 360sqm opposite park for $242k - renovated & sold November 07 for $625k.

used equity in early 06 to buy 3x1 on 700sqm in BELDON WA for $192k - halves with wife's parents. sold November 07 for $355k.

bought block to build on in Burns Beach - 3 street back from ocean - to build 4x2 on 560sqm family home.

now already have solid equity in this house and is step one for a ten step, 10 year CGA strategy.

already on the lookout for step two.

this is now first step

23 club

Like many others here I'm also 23 (must be a lucky number)...:D

I came about my first PPOR in a funny way. I was living at home with mum and dad when we got evicted from our rental property in 2006. (we only wanted month-month)

So after weeks of searching and failing to secure a rental property I went to an open inspection thinking it was a rental (It was a friday night...long week brain fade) anyway, I asked the agent "how much" to which they replyed "210", I thought gee not bad for a two-bedroom unit in eastern melbourne (20k out from CBD) and asked for the section 32.......

The agent gave me :confused: look and said $210,000 not $210 mate!...... so feeling rather :p I but an offer of 220K as I was sick of looking at rentals all week and was over filling in forms. Offer was accepted that night and I moved in 30 days later and charged mum and dad rent (sorry mum and dad, but thanks).

Well that was 18 months ago now and after renovating the unit and spending 25K on doing a really nice job it was valued at 310k+ last month (loan $200K).

Mum and dad have moved on, but I do now have a wife.

In feb 08, I got ichy fingers with my own unit finished and from reading API and somersoft I brought the unit down the street for 275K which rents for $260p/w, which is now worth 290K and can easy be made into a 3-beda in the future (it already has a DG)

I guess my point is I'm only 23, only have been working full-time for 3 years earning 50-60k, I had only 8K deposit and FHOG when I purchased my PPOR (no money from parents or anything). Sure I might be 500K in debt, but I now have over 100K in equity also after 18 months and its growing everyday (hopefully). More then the crappy 50K I earn each year anyway, which has shown me property can work!

In that three years I also travelled O/S, got Married and still shop still eat freash meat and veg each night :D

I sought of fell into property, taken on lots of debt (good debt) but hopefully like a snowball it will get bigger and better.

Wish everyone the best and lets keep it going!

Last edited:
hey Frogger,

Don't worry about not having done anything yet.....I was an accidental investor at 27...I knew I had to buy an IP I just wasn't sure why...... But I can't say I was a Property Investor until I was 34. I now have 7 IP's (maybe only 6 soon.:()

I took off around the world travelling too, although I'd been married for 5 years then...another story. My point is : It's never too late. We are lucky we are still in our 30's and have see the light!:D

James, Fantastic story. Would love to hear more one day.:)

Thanks everyone for sharing your stories, there are so many inspirational Gen Y's out there and we're really glad to hear it.

Regards Jo

Just a case of The Green Eyed Monster.:D

I think I would have to agree there. Min you need is 10% so say a $300k place - not many 20 something people I know who have:

- $30k in savings
- income to sustain the -NG
- the forsight to look beyond the next plasma/car.

I am also born in 1981 ( a few of us here :))

Well it took me a while going up the ranks to get to a salary that i could afford to buy, I have been in sales and sales coaching for 10 years now.

I bought my first house 12 months ago:

2007 - $285K, now valued at $345K
2008 - $545K

So yeah, bought 2 houses within 12 months but now need to sit for a bit while things settle down, I may be given a block of land waterfront at Hervey Bay in the next 12 months and would like to get a commercial property as well.

totally stunned/in awe by some of the young ppl in here, really motivates to get working harder!
Currently 23 and have 1 ip in the frankston area
its a pretty run down old unit in a lot of about 25 i think
paid 140k and some are selling for 190+ without anything done to them!

found this forum start of month and frequent it everyday and started reading books! havent done that for about 8 years :eek:

atm saving for another ip and will look in the same area but this time will purchase a house.
I hate body corp fees :mad:

Cant wait for the next purchase.... :D

josko

thanks for the encouragement :)

i'm finding the more i read/learn on the subject the more addictive the idea of buying into some property is becoming.

cheers

Born 1981 (although hubby 1972)

Bought our first IP late last year (he had purchased before and not held - very much kicking himself now he's got some understanding of it all)

Hoping to buy again mid next year, was hoping for end of this year but doing a six week trip to South America (last chance before kids (hopefully)

Hubby's not really into it, is happy to do as I say which is frustrating at times (I'd rather we both have equal input etc), although is getting more into the markets now

I know I'll be able to retire by the time I'm 40, hubby 50, and am happy with the way things are going with that goal in mind

might as well chip in my story.

born in '83 but didn't start investing until 2006. That was my final year at uni and I was also working part time. Mainly interested in shares back then so started by purchasing 1 stock with the 4k I had saved up. Kept saving like crazy and once I had minimum 4k I would go and buy another stock.

Graduated 2006 and went on an overseas holiday. Came back start of 2007 and got an offer at the place where I did my work placement/industry project at. Started with an average salary 40k and all of a sudden I felt rich (you have to be a uni student to truely understand this newfound fealing :D lol). Anyways, wanted to buy a house but was told by many that I had to wait for the probationary period of 6 months and also to be placed on a more permanent position (initial position was temp for 1 year). Being young I got really frustrated and didn't want to wait so I hit the footpath around work hours to try and find a way for someone to loan me. Over a couple of months I visited many a banks and MB before I met this great guy at westpac who was willing to loan to me. Funny thing was this was the 3rd Westpac branch I approached. Learnt a valuable lesson from this excercise. Everything boils down to people. No matter the rules in place or what certain people say, everything ultimately has to be approved by people which means rules can be bent to a degree. All you have to do is find those people and justify/sell yourself and your vision/goals.

So, I got preapproval and now just needed a deposit. Was gonna use my shares portfolio but didn't want to sell cause they were doing great. Decided to approach my parents who gladly lent me the deposit and purchasing costs. So I went out and just bought a house around mid 2007. Purchase price was $382,000. On top of that I still have my shares portfolio which is around 90k and have also managed to save up a further 15k. My position is also permanent now :D

I'm 26

my parents are from meager beginings you could say just normal working class people they were in motels in new zealand then we moved over here about 12 yrs ago with nothing.

I bought my first property when I was 19 it was a of the plan house for 140k
was a big step for me but didnt really phase me I sold this in 2004 for 249k so was damn happy with that. (I only sold due to needed money for the business) I bought my second property in 2005ish for $249500 its worth 380k now. I just bought a new ppor for 300k in 2007 and it has already worth 470k

I also started investing in shares just before the market crashed I was a bit peeved about that because I have lost close to 20k well actually I haven't lost anything yet because I have sold but it will take a long time to get my money back....

The biggest achievement to though is my business I bought it 4 years ago for 50k it was an auto electrical business then with 1 employee and now I have 12 employees and is more of a labour hire / mechanical company than an auto elecetrical workshop I have 4 people on labour hire one as a soil tester. the business would turn over close to 2 million a year and is starting to become a real hassle to run. I would estimate the business as been worth 800k maybe??

just scraped in at 28.

Bought first ip in 2002 unit in cabramatta Sydney. Not the best Sydney suburb actually probally the worst. Got it near the end of the boom for 153k. 3 months later got offered 210k for it. Didn't sell, now 6 years later its worth about 150k.

Refinanced it and bought house near Campbelltown (another jewel in Sydney's crown) for 250k. got first home buyers for that.

Definately not a smart investor eg. pulled 25k out of credit cards to up equity in first ip to buy 2nd ip. Then another 22k on cards to get girlfriend and i into our first unit together but in her name for first home buyers. Then another 10k on cards for materials to renovate it. (im a tradie so thats about 30k worth of reno)

Now very highly geared and still a little bitter because i didn't sell first unit when i had the chance. Tried to buy heaps of places in perth in 03 but i was an apprentice so missed out. $220 per week for a 23 year old just doesnt go that far

Holding on and keeping keen thanks to some very insiteful people on this forum.

just scraped in at 28.

Bought first ip in 2002 unit in cabramatta Sydney. Not the best Sydney suburb actually probally the worst. Got it near the end of the boom for 153k. 3 months later got offered 210k for it. Didn't sell, now 6 years later its worth about 150k.

Refinanced it and bought house near Campbelltown (another jewel in Sydney's crown) for 250k. got first home buyers for that.

Definately not a smart investor eg. pulled 25k out of credit cards to up equity in first ip to buy 2nd ip. Then another 22k on cards to get girlfriend and i into our first unit together but in her name for first home buyers. Then another 10k on cards for materials to renovate it. (im a tradie so thats about 30k worth of reno)

Now very highly geared and still a little bitter because i didn't sell first unit when i had the chance. Tried to buy heaps of places in perth in 03 but i was an apprentice so missed out. $220 per week for a 23 year old just doesnt go that far

Holding on and keeping keen thanks to some very insiteful people on this forum.

The banks won't give me any credit cards! I only have our single 10k card that we have had for 15 years!:eek:

I have an interesting story about Cabramatta. A bit off the track but...

My husband was Surveying a block of units on a main road through Cabramatta once. While taking some measurements out on the footpath, an asian guy walked past holding a hand gun down by his side. The guy locked eyes with my husband and walked into the units.

Hubby was a bit taken back as you can imagine. 15 minutes later he was packing up and the same guy came back out of the units and went into a nearby garage where a few other guys were. Hubby said he kept his head down, packed the equipment away as fast as he could and he and fellow worker got the hell out of there!

Interesting place, that you can carry a hand gun down the main street.....

I once lived in Darlinghurst, off Oxford Street. The things I used to see there! I used to step over drunks at the front door to our apartment blocks all the time. When you live in these places you become pretty street smart and what you don't know doesn't bother you.:eek:

The prices will come back up again, and you did say you bought close to the peak. Hang ini there..it will work out. :)

Regards Jo

Back