generational housing problem

I've registered and awaiting approval on GHPC. I've drafted a positive, constructive post with solutions in response to Firefly/Gcs15's question here http://forum.globalhousepricecrash.com/index.php?showtopic=21931.

I believe Gcs15 had originally posted it here but removed it because he thought it was trolling. I thought it was a good question and would receive lots of helpful ideas here, so please repost if you like.

An interesting factoid - In the Domesday book the area of Brighton was

Sorry DavidMc but GHPC has a few access issues. Some of the posters on here have said elsewhere that they can't access the site. I have to turn off my firewall to see it :mad:

I do hope that you are able to point out where we're (Myself and perhaps FF) are going wrong.

OK... first up, an apology to the forum. My last few posts were to stir people. This isn't consistent with enlighted self-interest, so I'll stop. It's my fault I was sucked into the vacuum of negativity. Between all the personal attacks, name calling and ALL CAPS TEXT!!! there is a sprinkling of good discussion going on here, so it would be good to see that continue.

Don't know where you found that. This thread is the biggest waste of time ever on SS. Only looked at it while waiting for the final auction on ASX.

I gave it up very early when the younguns got stuck into the BBs. RUBBISH

I do hope that you are able to point out where we're (Myself and perhaps FF) are going wrong.

I already have pointed out where firefly is going wrong. He has next to zilch savings despite working for 15 years. He wasn't in a position to buy when houses were cheap. He won't be in a position to buy if prices become cheaper. People liked this are destined to rent all their lives.

Gcs15,

I've read a lot of Firefly's drivel over the last couple of days and I am amazed that someone would take so little responsibilty for their own situation.

Why is he renting a unit when he is moaning about not being able to get a dog for his kids.

He's not only renting a unit when he would be better off renting a house he's paying more then he has to.

He complains that he has had to shift out a number of times do to investors selling up thus causing him to have to change his kid's schools. Why hasn't he on one of these occasions rented a house at a price he can afford with access to public transport to his work and put his kids into a nearby school. Why has he changed his kid's school whenever he has had to move.

He is free to do whatever he likes. He however needs to take responsibility for the decisions he makes.

The price of property to fall? This is laughable. The reason that the price of property has grown is becuase it all comes down to demand and supply.

Yes, all markets set price by supply and demand.

I argue here that there is no FUNDAMENTAL shortage to house people. There may be a shortage because demand is far above long term trends and not rational (gotta buy a house to get rich!!!)

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=320653#post320653

Yes, all markets set price by supply and demand.

I argue here that there is no FUNDAMENTAL shortage to house people. There may be a shortage because demand is far above long term trends and not rational (gotta buy a house to get rich!!!)

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?p=320653#post320653

There are much greater reasons than "gotta buy a house to get rich!!!" for Owner Occupiers (70% of buyers) to buy their own home. A big one is stability which can be really important in a family situation. Renting might be cheap, but you can get kicked out with 2 months notice, you have to pack up, move the kids, schools, etc. Having to move is a really stressful situation, doing it with kids is even worse.

No matter what prices do, what debt levels are, what the bulls or bears say - this is a fundamental reason to buy a house in the first place, and the same reason why people don't want to sell and move on - and that's not going to change.

Cheers,
Jen

There are pages and pages of quotes listed on GHPC forum by Foundation today, I can't be bothered reposting it.

Ahhh....my old mate Foundation from the PI.com days.

A most cleverer chap you'd be hard pressed to meet. Should have been a lecturer in Property 101 designed for laymen who didn't get the big picture.

Man, this chap could write reams and reams about why the sky was falling in, why the limited supply of money was trouble brewing, and why we should all trade in gold and so forth. Fiat thingy came into it as well, but then I thought it was some clapped out old Italian car, so didn't take much notice of it. Soon figured out you didn't need a degre in property to make money from it....and that's the point of it all isn't it ??

Foundation had access to the most marvellous graphs and stats, with every sound and logical argument under the sun. Even offered him a job to be my researcher, but alas, he chose the dark side....to sit on the sidelines and rubbish those having a crack at it.

Mind you, he didn't own a cracker himself having sold his two properties in fear of the world crashing in, but nevertheless, was an absolute guru on the downside of property investing. I made a comfortable nestegg completely ignoring his dire predictions over the last two years that I've 'known' him.....and suggest the SS crew do the same.

I agree that there should be more stability for renters. I will try and sign a 2 year lease on this place. The owners are elderly and are happy to have a good tenant. I have had a bad experience in the past with landlords selling and so picked a stable one this time.

I only wish I could see their finances like they look at mine so I know that I'm not going to have to leave when they go to the wall.

I do want to own my own house one day, but I'm not willing to pay the massive premium over rent or take capital losses. I don't mind moving because I move into a much nicer place each time :)

MBL = HiredGoon = landlort?
HiredGoon and Landlort share an IP address, which is not shared by any other user.

HiredGoon has been given an infraction for registering multiple usernames.

MBL has a different IP address.

Though an IP address is just one piece of evidence.

Back