George Soros tells it like it is....

yawn - yet another american version that is 12 months old. well, his worldwide crash better hurry up as he's only got 5 months left to go. even the us isn't crashing - but stagnating (and some areas still rising). the interviewer also has an interesting lisp.

the second you tube is very funny ...

I don't know too much about George Soros, but I know enough to know that he would never claim that his opinion is 'telling it like it is'.

Mark

Didn't Dr Mahathir blame him for contributing to the asian financial crisis in was it 1997? Fx hedging or something.

I've seen him before but not formally met him. At a christmas party hosted by my boss. They're family friends...hungarians.

Didn't Dr Mahathir blame him for contributing to the asian financial crisis in was it 1997? Fx hedging or something.

I've seen him before but not formally met him. At a christmas party hosted by my boss. They're family friends...hungarians.
Sue if it's the same person,try and grab 5 minutes of his time next time.George Soros is a Hungarian born billionaire investor, philanthropist and author. The American businessman was once known as "The Man Who Broke the Bank of England" after speculating on the Pound Sterling, believing it was overvalued. George Soros is also a generous philanthropist, giving away millions of dollars every year to the poor and disadvantaged of the world. He also has numerous critics in both finance and politics.

George Soros was born in Budapest, Hungary on August 12, 1930. As a young man, Soros traded currencies in the black market during the Nazi occupation of Hungary. Soros was fourteen when the Nazis invaded Hungary and he avoided the fate of many Jews by posing as the godson of a Hungarian official overseeing the confiscation of Jewish properties.

In 1946 Soros fled the Soviet occupation of Hungary and arrived in England. He then went on to study at the London School of Economics and graduated in 1952. Soros then emigrated and settled in in the United States of America in 1956.

Upon moving to America, Soros set up an investment fund that went on to create his massive fortune. It was his intention to simply support his love of writing from his Wall Street earnings, but his well timed investment decisions saw his wealth increase dramatically each year. The Quantum Fund, went on to become one of the most successful managed investment funds ever, with a more than 30% increase annually over a 30 year period.

In addition to being a renowned financier, George Soros has established the Open Society Institute and The Soros Foundation, which operates in 25 countries and spends hundreds of millions of dollars annually on major philanthropic efforts.

Always a controversial figure, Soros has recently become involved in the U.S presidential election. In an interview with the The Washington Post, Soros said that removing Bush from office is the "central focus of my life" and "a matter of life and death" for which he would be willing to sacrifice his entire fortune. Soros has contributed an estimated $18 million to pro-Democrat groups in the run up to the November 2004 elections.

Ironically, Soros's Harken Energy bailed out Bush in 1986 by buying his ailing oil venture, Spectrum 7.
good luck willair..

yawn - yet another american version that is 12 months old. well, his worldwide crash better hurry up as he's only got 5 months left to go. even the us isn't crashing - but stagnating (and some areas still rising). the interviewer also has an interesting lisp.

the second you tube is very funny ...

As I have said numerous times Lizzie.......if America sneezes Australia catches a cold.

Real estate is not as local as you think....Australia and the US have both seen a real estate boom (the biggest in recorded history)......what is happening in America now, will happen in Australia as well soon enough.

And you want to see what happens ? Look up 'Japan Deflation'....you'll get the drift of where property will be headed pretty soon.

regards, mbl.

As I have said numerous times Lizzie.......if America sneezes Australia catches a cold.

Are you aware of how arrogant you sound?:confused:

The actual quote is "when America sneezes the world catches a cold" and just cos you say it dont make it so

I don't think I sound arrogant, and I am more than willing to apoligize and admit that I have been wrong.

However, be sure that the sub-prime market collapse in the USA, will also affect Australia.......

Real estate is not as local as you think....Australia and the US have both seen a real estate boom (the biggest in recorded history)......what is happening in America now, will happen in Australia as well soon enough.

regards, mbl.

Hi MBL... it already happened here... remember... 2003 to 2007?

What year is it with you anyway?

Cheers, Shadow.

Cool - when?

In 3-4 years. If the 'doomsadayers' are right, it will certainly kick in till them.....otherwise I will buy a few slabs and hand out beers to the memebers of this forum.

However, I am pretty sure my (I hate to use 'my', because it ain't me predicting, but other people much smarter and more educated than myself who are saying the things I am expressing here) predictions will come true.

But you really gotta ask yourself one simple question.......and I asked this further up.

If I was to have 300,000$ in hand right now where should I invest in ? Should I invest in a house in Melbourne that would cost me 400k and bring me in 1000-1100 a month in rent ? Would it be worth the hassle ? Is it wise ? Or should I simply put the money in the bank, earn interest and pay the rent+some with the interest that I earn on the same/similar house ?

MBL,

assuming that inflation reduces and assets stop inflating and going up in price, you would be much better putting that money into the bank, paying tax on it, and letting its real value increase as asset prices such as shares and houses reduce in real terms over the next few years.

With the money in the bank, you could afford to rent for some time, and it is likely that the drop in house prices will in effect lower rents, as homes become more affordable, construction increases because building materials decrease, government taxes reduce, and overall property ownership becomes more affordable over time.

Then in say 5-10 years time, when houses are cheaper than they are now, you could buy one with the remaining equity you have in the bank, which would have increased substantially based on the sound interest from the bank.

At that point it might still be cheaper to keep renting, but if you wanted to you could buy for the fun of it as everything will be cheaper down the track.

Tim

In 3-4 years. If the 'doomsadayers' are right, it will certainly kick in till them.....otherwise I will buy a few slabs and hand out beers to the memebers of this forum.
?

mbl
Since you are going to lose the bet anyway why don't you buy the slabs now?
You can bring them up to the next SIG meeting and you can tell us all about your latest predictions then.:)

For real? THE George Soros? Can I get an invite to the next party please? Please?

Mark

Yup when I was 21y.o, did the J1 working visa in NYC for 3 mths. I worked on contract for a famous designer by the name of Eva Zeisel...she was like 90y.o at the time and her work was still being mass produced.

I knew who George Soros was coz I had read his autobiography but can't say I was star struck at that age!!

In the same week, I also got to shake hands with former President Bill Clinton in a fluke accident encounter. I did get some photos taken but somehow my camera went missing!! my friend thinks that the FBI stole it!!

I also did some relieve work for at Martha Stewart Living working for VP of Legal and met the women on 2 occasions....she gets sued often and she seems very bitchy...maybe just stressed. Thank goodness I wasn't covering for her secretary!!

Then I got a contract job at Fleet Bank for SVP Head of Real Estate Finance Institutional Bank where I got to 'see' Donald Trump when he and his team came to our office for a meeting and read many emails to and from Trump LOL well even though they were also screened by his assistant.

Where are all the actors and singers? why did I keep meeting business people?

If I was to have 300,000$ in hand right now where should I invest in ? Should I invest in a house in Melbourne that would cost me 400k and bring me in 1000-1100 a month in rent ? Would it be worth the hassle ? Is it wise ? Or should I simply put the money in the bank, earn interest and pay the rent+some with the interest that I earn on the same/similar house ?

If you did have $300k it may well be better in the bank..bank has better yield
but R/E has the possibility of CG. However, most people don't have $300k to start off with! That's why R/E is such a good investment...you only need the 20% deposit and ability to pay the shortfall.

As much as I respect Soros' brilliance in speculation, I have to say I wouldn't learn much from him. In many ways I'd rather meet, say, a property investor with an 8 figure net worth. I would learn more from that person than from Soros.
Alex

Back