Geraldton to become State’s largest regional city!

My real estate agent sent this email to me today! Looks like I'll be holding onto all my geraldton properties longterm.

“Geraldton to become State’s

largest regional city:

Watch out, Albany!”

This was the front page headlines for the Geraldton Guardian on Monday, May 7th 2007. The article goes on to say,”Geraldton is expected to surpass Albany and become W.A.’s biggest regional city under a forecast iron ore boom. The findings come from the Mid West Iron Ore Alliance’s new report – Mining Expansion in the Mid West: Social and Economic Benefits, which says Geraldton is set to become second only to Perth in WA in population size over the next 25 years”

Over the past couple of years there has been a lot of talk about the boom in Geraldton, and the continuation of the good fortune that is seeing Geraldton grow as a major economic player in Western Australia. However, the Mid West Iron Ore Alliance report is the first report to actually state boldly the effect the pending boom will have on the city Geraldton, by claiming “Geraldton is set to become the biggest regional city, surpassing Bunbury and Albany in the not too distant future.

Supporting this theory is the prediction of an increase in the local workforce of about 8500 people, adding to this figure their families, this increase would be a 40 per cent increase in the regions population. Current trends say 90 per cent of these people will most likely choose to live in coastal areas around Geraldton.

Adding weight to the Mid West Iron Ore Alliance’s report is the information supplied in the Major Projects Summary produced by the Mid West Development Commission. The scale of new projects current being undertaken and in the planning stage is a long list indeed. The majority of these projects are related to the Mining Industry, with the expansion of the Geraldton Port, Southern Transport Corridor Stage 2 and of course the long await development of Oakajee.

Now reading these entire figures, one could be forgiven for thinking they are fantasy. Economist and co-author of the Mid West Iron Ore Alliance report, Dr Brian Martin said he had never seen anything like this before and that the numbers were dramatic. “This is our report and these numbers are as good as we get. They are not optimistic, they are realistic”, he said. Mr Brown stated is almost certain that a second port, Oakajee would be needed requiring new infrastructure.

Alliance Chairman said “We are looking at billions of dollars of investment over a short period to develop the mines, increased population, above all opportunities for young people to acquire skills and secure long term careers.”

The City Council and the State Government now have reliable information they need to make the necessary decisions to ensure adequate infrastructure is in place to help drive and cope with the boom.

Estimated June 2006 population figures for Regional WA:

Albany 33,364

Geraldton / Greenough 33,040

Bunbury 32,499

Kalgoorlie / Boulder 29,152

Busselton 28,649

there is also talk of making Karratha a super city to take the pressures off of Perth. would make sense to make a couple more cities along the west coast. of course I am talking 1m or so not a town of 30,000! the Dubai of Oz would be great.

Geraldton is a great place and should do well but be aware of the boosterism of the parochial local press. Hence they do things like included the outer shires in the Geraldton stats but not in the Bunbury stats to make Geraldton look big.

The figure published is not Geraldton alone - it includes over 10 000 people in neighbouring Greenough.

Geraldton will never surpass Bunbury. Bunbury now has a population of about 50 000 but it's not in the stats as the overspill is in neighbouring Harvey, Dardanup, Capel, etc. Bunbury is also very rapidly growing and part of an almost 2-million strong 250km-long coastal conurbation from Perth to Dunsborough.

Busselton has grown much faster than Geraldton, and may even surpass Geraldton (it wasn't long ago when it surpassed 10 000 and now it's nearly triple that).

Mining booms don't always equal population increases - Kalgoorlie/Boulder has had the same population for the last century and although the rental market is tight and the city prosperous, the number moving in only just replaces those moving out.

However, along with Esperance, the Geraldton area should be the focal point of new cities to take pressure off the south-west.

Peter

Peter,

I agree with your assessment of Geraldton in general, but would like to point out that Geraldton and Greenough are merging as of 1 July 2007, which will be an interesting time for Geraldton. The process seems to be going relatively smoothly, but the impact is yet to be seen.

In the short term, getting building / fence approvals etc is expected to take quite a bit longer. Greenough council have a draft mangement plan on their website which has approved I think 3000 houses to be developed by 2010 between Drummonds Beach and Sunset to the north of the town, on the sea side of the old Northern Highway. I think a marina has just been approved there too. A Japanese Consortium owns most of this land, it also owns much of the large sand dunes to the south of the town as you drive into town.

The Greenough Council had also plans to allow subdivision of semi rural land to the north of the city of the same time period, not sure how this will pan out with the merger also. There is also some interesting development going in around Dongara, new housing subdivisions as well as plans to make that area much more agriculture focussed with plans for olive trees etc over the next 10 years.

IF the mining consortiums can get enough backing to provide transport to the coast it will have a huge impact on Geraldton, quite a few of these operations have been considered since the 1970s, so if they can't make it happen in the mining boom now, I wouldn't land bank as it may be a while before it ends up happening.

Thats my little opinion anyway, the council web sites have more info if anyone wants to follow up.

Cheers

Tulip

whoopee do!

I can just see the imminent influx of investors into what I see as a very small time regional centre despite the rhetoric.

Back