Get your For Sale sign off my fence!

Townhouse that is behind me with their own separate driveway but no street frontage is on the market.
So guess what, a for sale sign is plonked on my fence and they have come into my property to prop it up without my permission.

I'm trying to be nice neighbour and all, but I am annoyed nobody told me it was going up until it is up.
I think i should just ignore it and hope it's getting an offer soon. Should I be pissy or just shut up and ignore the REA? I rang and left a message with the REA.

I blame the pregnant hormones, but i got more and more livid on the train ride home.

Told him to get all the stuff off my property. Ok i'm not entirely nasty as neighbour came over and apologised and looked sheepish. He claimed he didn't know it would go up today. Oh yeah like where the heck else would you put a big for sale sign when the units behind only have a shared driveway (not shared with me). So i said just get all the stuff off my yard and he can leave it infront of my fence.
I think i need chocolate and get over it.

I would be peed off too. (then again I am also pregnant, so maybe it is the hormones?). They aren't allowed to do ghat without your permission. I probably would have ripped the sign out (or got hubby to) and dumped it on their driveway to find.

i would rip it down and place the sign 4 doors down - just to be a pr i ck.

then i'd write on the back of it "you'r lucky my staffy didn't eat your leg - stay out of my property".

fun times.

Definitely not a strata.
I'm not part of their strata if they have one.
I have my own driveway and the fence is mine, their driveway is a common shared driveway that leads to the back where their townhouses are and my fence boundary ends.
The nature strip out the front is also my responsibility.

ETA i think the correct term for the townhouses behind is battle axe properties.

That's bizzare, I haven't seen them do that before - they always put them in front of the fences, next to the driveway lane, even sideways if there isn't enough room.

To place it in the yard of the house in front is just stupid.

I just had my ear talked off by the REA... RA RA RA RA RA RA they cannot not use my property.
So they are changing the stakes to smaller ones but they still have to use my fence. I'm just annoyed my neighbour came up to me and said he had no idea there was a sign going up. Is this true people? You don't know a For sale sign is gonna go up?

Urgh my pregnant hormones.

I'm trying to contain it.. told the owner of another of the units. In case she gets ideas when she sells. Actually I am hoping to purchase her unit.

DEEP breaths and chocolate I think. bluecard I know you think it's trivial but whatever. end rant.

Hmmm..... very interesting.

As a seller, you never know exactly when the boards going up - just "ASAP" :)

But just needing clarification - are you upset about the sign itself, or just the fact they gained access to your property in order to prop the sign up?

The Y-man

Hmmm..... very interesting.

As a seller, you never know exactly when the boards going up - just "ASAP" :)

I think Lamingtons said that the seller claimed to have no idea that a sign was going up full stop. surely they have ticked this option on their contract with the REA? (and been charged the appropriate amount). In which case I think the seller would know that a sign was going up, just not when.

when i read the title of this post i thought i had found a mystery caller from earlier in the day :)

story....

My office has a unit forsale and the signboard has been up for about 8 weeks. it is a block of 24 units and i have never seen anyone there when doing the appointments. I get back from doing an appointment to find a message from our ditsy receptionist.... "lady called about sign at smith street, it is screwed into her fence. take it down." ... um what? so i questioned ditsy... who has no idea, some lady called (no name? no number? no info?) and said it is in her fence. so i went to check actually it isn't in the fence it is over the top of it... not a screw in sight, and it is on the common front fence? hmm....

It's always interesting to see how long the REA leaves the sign up after the property has sold- more free advertising for them and their agency.

If the fence was mine I would be sending an invoice for using it. Call it $100 a week and see how quick it comes down.

It's a bloody principle, isn't it?

The fool r/e didn't ask permission, so should be taught a lesson in manners and probably arrogance.

Ring 'em up and tell them you are taking it down, and don't ever do it again without my permission.

Then, go and take it down, but don't detroy it - it belongs to the r/e.

You'll feel MUCH better.

It's always interesting to see how long the REA leaves the sign up after the property has sold- more free advertising for them and their agency.

If the fence was mine I would be sending an invoice for using it. Call it $100 a week and see how quick it comes down.

The record I've seen so far is the commercial sale sign on the Red Rooster near me. Been there for about 18 months or so now I reckon, closing in on 12 months with the 'sold' sticker on it. :rolleyes:

i would rip it down and place the sign 4 doors down - just to be a pr i ck.

then i'd write on the back of it "you'r lucky my staffy didn't eat your leg - stay out of my property".

Hahahaha.. Good idea. Slightly unnecessary, but I would be pissed off as well if someone came onto my property unannounced.

Back