getting PPOR ready for sale AARGHHH!

Skater,

Been there done that :rolleyes:
Solution to your problem is a 'magic box'. :D A box, draw or cabinet inside a house where you can put all your hubbies 'stuff', which you find laying around. If he ever asks you where something is you just need to mention a box once or twice...

I have also a magic box for my paperwork, which I empty once a year at tax time. :eek: This year I will be trying to do it once a quarter. Saves stress hopefully :cool:

This drives me mad and he complains that I nag him about it. In honesty, I often let the stuff stay where they are for a few days, but unless I say something they won't get moved. Sometimes in frustration, I pick up all the stuff I can, and deposit it outside, under the awning for him. I won't put it back in the shed, because I know I'll probably be in trouble for putting it in the wrong place.

just put the tools out on the curb or throw them in the bin.

oh hang on it's your partner and not one of the kids... umm not sure you can do much but put up with it.

Put his tools carefully on his side of the bed, and beside it it they are too big for the bed. He will have to move them.

When my sons leave dirty undies or socks around the house, I have been known to place them on top of their pillow :D.

well, we've done quite an impressive cleanup I think. We'll have a very full council cleanup this week and the house is already looking alot better.
We need to remove some of the furniture and stuff for open homes.. but the first steps are taken.
One thing I havent managed yet is the paperwork from our business. I need to dispose of medical records securely..... so will have to work out how to do that.
But I have a few weeks now to get it done. At least its in a filing cabinet (mostly!), so its not an eyesore.

Skater,

Been there done that :rolleyes:
Solution to your problem is a 'magic box'. :D A box, draw or cabinet inside a house where you can put all your hubbies 'stuff', which you find laying around. If he ever asks you where something is you just need to mention a box once or twice...

I have also a magic box for my paperwork, which I empty once a year at tax time. :eek: This year I will be trying to do it once a quarter. Saves stress hopefully :cool:

Sounds good in theory but often there is too much to do this with. If he loses something, he'll just buy more instead of ask where it is.:(

Put his tools carefully on his side of the bed, and beside it it they are too big for the bed. He will have to move them.

When my sons leave dirty undies or socks around the house, I have been known to place them on top of their pillow :D.

No that won't work either. I just looked at what's currently on the bedside table.

There is a gym ball and a pump, both new and in boxes (I have no idea where these came from or what they are doing there), a small wooden box that he made when he was at school full of pens that I've been told on numerous occasions not to 'nag' him about because that is where it belongs and that is where it is staying, a couple of power points, a drill bit, a scarf, a tiny photo frame, a brush for removing pet hair, a black lipstick (yes, it's his. A memento from when he worked in a Theater Restaurant), a magazine, a letter I asked him to post months ago, a belt....need I go on. There is quite a bit more.

That must be a BIG bedside table :eek:

Hubby is neat and tidy IN the house but he hoards in the garage. It is big enough for two cars behind each other but often we cannot fit even one car in. When it gets to the stage that I cannot open the car door wide enough to get out, I give him the "death stare" and he cleans up a little.

He loves skip diving and thinks he can save every crappy, broken table and chair in the vicinity. I have sold a few of his "treasures" on ebay and if they don't sell, I have convinced him to let somebody else enjoy them, so we put them on our footpath and hope like heck that someone is more silly than he, and takes the item away.

I'm all for saving good stuff from being dumped, but he is a shocker.

If I had more guts I'd get a skip one day when he isn't home :p

Dealing with old paperwork

I understand your pain. I've moved 14 times in 25 years, twice between hemispheres ( to UK and back again). When we had a clear out of my home of 12 years, we put 60 bags of rubbish in the bin, and still took 40 boxes to the uk.

One way to handle paperwork is to shred it and keep it for packing!

I feel for you - but don't understand it.

I am a minimalist ... and a neat freak. If it isn't asthetically beautiful (such as my mosaic mannequin from Wylie), or used within the last 12 months it goes ... also helps that I don't buy "stuff" either.

Hubby is the opposite. He has door knobs and screws and tins of paint and bits of timber, old doors, bits of pool fence etc that we have carted from house to house around Newcastle for 12 years now. I am hoping we get the move to Perth happening so that I have a good excuse to get rid of it all ... although I did use up a fair bit of the timber when I recently ran out of firewood before winter decided to finished.

Oh, did I mention that it was only last council bulk pickup that I finally managed to put out the 30yr old windsurfer he was hanging onto "in case one of the kids wanted it" ... I am sure if one of them seriously took up windsurfing they'd buy something a bit more modern - and lighter - his took two people just to carry the board!

I have kept the paperwork for the required time - but it is stored in boxes labelled with the "throw out" year on the outside.

when i painted my house
we only had room for what we really used to be nearby

so i put things we dont use higher up in cupboards or out of the house in garages
it helped me to be able to get rid of stuff

I find though for me timing counts
when i have a good slab of time off and can really get stuck into it for an entire weekend it helps.

people say just do a shelf at a time , or it gets too overwhelming

they say to decide fast if its a must keep and if its not get rid of it

take photos of sentimential things and get rid of them is whats usually recommended

i know there have been times when i've accidently thrown out something that later i regretted that arent replaceable, like letters from my grandmother to her friend which would have given me such an insight into that special lady,
or other items i really loved
and that can be very painful too.
But if we can earn money from the space or create a space we love more then its well worth clearing, but it does take time so you need to have the time to do it.

Our first open home is on Saturday. We've spent several weekends throwing things out and moving stuff to our new house. We paid for someone to come and do a thorough clean and to clear out/ tidy up the garden

So, I think its scrubbed up pretty well.....

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-baulkham+hills-108538561

hopefully it will sell quickly, so we dont have to keep it this way for long!! :) I'm helping in the process of keeping it tidy by being away on an overseas business trip..... so one less person in the house to make a mess!

That looks great Penny. I love the size of the main bedroom.

Thanks.. we do too. Although with weightlifting equipment, electronic drumkit, electric guitar and lounge in it, there is only a little bit of room left for a bed! :D

It used to be a 3rd lounge room... well a "pub" room actually, with snooker table, bar and really fashionable ultralow pile orange and brown carpet, which looked like it was straight out of the local pub!

Back