Glad I'm not in vendors shoes

We're getting to the pointy end of our tourist cottage settlement ... after only starting negotiating in April :rolleyes: ... but that's another story.

Following on from this thread:

http://somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103466

... about collecting "junk" over the years and having to dispose of it in a hurry ... the vendors of the cottages asked if we wanted to keep any of the "building materials" he had stored down the back of the property. Hubby and I went for a look and, realistically, asides from a few bessa blocks and a couple of fence posts, the entire (at least) 20 skip bins worth of stuff is nothing more than 30 years worth of complete rubbish.

Broken toilets - sinks - rusty metal - rotted timbers - glass panels - warped doors - you name it ... he now has two weeks to remove it all - plus the two shipping containers - plus the 4 bay shed stacked to the rafters with "junk" ... glad I'm not in his shoes.

An important lesson - keep on top of managing your horded "junk"

Did you know it was there, because that's a big property. It would have been easy to skip over the area where it all is, & then it would have been your problem. Glad for you, that it will all have to be removed before settlement.

Did you know it was there, because that's a big property. It would have been easy to skip over the area where it all is, & then it would have been your problem. Glad for you, that it will all have to be removed before settlement.

Yes - it's on 10 acres so we hadn't actually "seen" the pile - but were aware it was there somewhere - just didn't realise it was so big.

I'm glad he bought it up 2-3 weeks out from settlement, to (ahem) give himself time to dispose of it

Better to get a clean site than to be lumbered with remediation costs if they have 1-2 tonnes of asbestos buried in the piles.

We went thru it - and believe me, hubby IS a hoarder - 95% of it is completely rubbish. Better to get rid of it and if we need anything down the track to buy it new (or second hand)

Back