Gladstone QLD

For investing you would be looking at the city centre, west/south gladstone, barney point and perhaps clinton. Tannum Sands is their most expensive suburb.

As a second option you may consider Kin Kora, New Auckland, Sun Valley etc

Turtle St Resort on Curtis Island

Hi everyone

This is my first ever forum post :)

Has any one been looking at or researching Turtle St Resort that is planned for Curtis Island?

I am interested but have not been able to find out much from independant sources.

Thanks
T

For investing you would be looking at the city centre, west/south gladstone, barney point and perhaps clinton. Tannum Sands is their most expensive suburb.

As a second option you may consider Kin Kora, New Auckland, Sun Valley etc

Why do you consider Kin Kora, New Auckland and Sun Valley as a second option?

Of all the suburbs of Gladstone, those 3 are the closest to the main "Centro" shopping centre of Kin Kora and are well serviced by public transport.

All 3 have primary schools, medical centres and child care centres with in close proximity.

While South Gladstone and Barney Point have seen impressive growth over the last 5 years, they are the closest to the industrial plant of QAL.

Just some thoughts. Interested to hear your reasoning.

Cheers

Rooster

Hello T,
We were in Gladstone middle of last week doing an inspection on our new IP which is South Gladstone. As I mentioned elsewhere the property is renting $90 p/w below expectations.
I picked up the booklet for Turtle Street Resort as I am a sucker for a glossy.
My wife, the sensible one in our team, was not that approving.
I think the bridge needs to be sorted before the resort could be considered a real goer. the spot is great and the roads have been laid out.
We also attended a LNG meeting where lots of people from the LNG company answer any question you may have. There are multiple environmental impact statements open at the moment.
Some companies have the right to build on the mainland and some companies have the right to build on Curtis Island, where Turtle Street resort is planned for.
Again the issue is will there be a bridge across the narrows or not? There are some companies which plan to run the operation via barge from Auckland Point in Gladstone, rather awkward I would have thought.
Anyway sentiment is down, lots of property on the market and lots of vacant rentals.
I don't expect (hope) this will last to long.
My real estate agent in Gladstone reckon's capital growth is on the way.
We are buy and hold and were looking for positive gearing at time of purchase, so we are hoping that rents crawl back to last years numbers.

We purchased in Tannum Sands a few years ago. We checked out Gladstone and when we talked to the locals they all said to check out Tannum Sands. The reason is that couples come up to Gladstone, the man works and the wife is at home. She doesnt want to live in Gladstone because its ugly and industrial and doesnt want to get stuck there, so they go to Tannum Sands because its quiet, got good shops and is near the beach.

I have been through the narrows only once and most of it is as a lot of pre developed Australia, IMHO, quite special.
When I was in Gladstone I asked why not an opening bridge? It would have to be paid for was the response I got.
As to the appropriateness of opening the island to development, well that is tough. As a resident of Darwin I have given up on trying to prevent large industrial projects within 5km of the CBD but that was for the benefit of the humans who live there.

Rooster,

When I was first looking, Kin Kora, New Auckland and Sun Valley all looked appealing.

I did thorough research and spoke to many people about the area. It seems these areas are a bit less desirable. That's not to say they are bad, just that as an investor I was advised to sticking near the city - South/West Gladstone. West Gladstone in particular (more so for potential tenants). There is not much difference in price in all the major suburbs and they have/will increase approx the same.

I focused in on West Gladstone and eventually bought near the hospital. As luck would have it I have a nurse and her family rent from me. My house is nothing special but she loves the location.....

If anyone is considering buying here, feel free to PM me.

Why do you consider Kin Kora, New Auckland and Sun Valley as a second option?

Of all the suburbs of Gladstone, those 3 are the closest to the main "Centro" shopping centre of Kin Kora and are well serviced by public transport.

All 3 have primary schools, medical centres and child care centres with in close proximity.

While South Gladstone and Barney Point have seen impressive growth over the last 5 years, they are the closest to the industrial plant of QAL.

Just some thoughts. Interested to hear your reasoning.

Cheers

Rooster

Hi guys. Grew up in Gladstone and its where all my investments lie. A few stats of my IP's.

-3 Bedroom Brick in Clinton - Value = 235k, Rents @ 220/week
-4 Bedroom Queenslander - Value = 245k, Rents @ 235/week
-3 Bedroom Fibro in Barney Point - Value = 190k, Rents @ 190/week
-Duplexes in West Gladstone (fibro/highset) Value = 300k(combined) Rents @190/200 a side.

Property manager has informed that all leases should rise between 20 and 30 dollars per house buy xmas/mew year when leases come up for renewal.

Gladstone seems to cop a bit of a bad rap with regards to pollution. I guess it is inevitable with so much industry in town, but i do personally believe it is slightly overstated sometimes.

Just my thoughts. Hope the figures shed some light on Gladstone's possibilities.

Cheers

Rooster

Well done Rooster, time is doing its job. This thread goes back to 2003.

The recent decision by Rio Tinto to hand back over 300 of the properties they had leased has inflated the vacancy rate substantially.

There is a lot more competition for landlords to secure tenants.

From a personal perspective, i have had to drop the rent on one property by $40 week (13%) just to generate some interest.

I don't doubt that Gladstone property will be on the move up again, it's just a question of when construction either starts or continues on the various projects outlined for the region.

Rooster

It was bad -2009

It is attractive -2011

What about future (after 2015!!)

Is this sustainable growth?

Here is the answer

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72218

Back