gmail account hoax

Got this sent to me..... Anyone else got it?
Sounds like a hoax to me. (broken english, repeatedly saying the account would be deleted)

Recently Google recorded much anonymous registration of Account. The Google account team therefore needs to delete some account. Your Account details will be needed to verify your domain on the webmail system. We are doing this to protect your Account from being deleted. Your account will be deleted if your details are not received. Please click the reply button and send the details below.

User’s Name:

Password:

Present Country:

Warning: This data verification is compulsory for all Gmail users. Your Account will be deleted permanently if you failed to provide the details above.

For questions or concerns regarding your account, please visit the Google Accounts FAQ.

The Google Information Centre

Definitely a hoax.

Just the fact that they are asking for the password screams that this is a hoax and under no circumstances should you participate.

Also checked my gmail and no message.

None the less the hoax is clever as it even directs you to the FAQ's just so that you can get lost in that sections of google.

Cheers

My brother in law had his Hotmail account hacked- possibly from a phishing scam (an email like the one mentioned).

Everybody in his email list got emails saying that he was stuck overseas and needed money to be sent urgently. He is rather well off so it was obvious to the recipients that it was not kosher.

Today my usual bookmark to Gmail loads up this message:

Verify your account
We've detected unusual activity on your account. To immediately restore access to your account, type your phone number below.​

:mad: Trying to trick me! Naughty phishers.

My brother in law had his Hotmail account hacked- possibly from a phishing scam (an email like the one mentioned).

Everybody in his email list got emails saying that he was stuck overseas and needed money to be sent urgently. He is rather well off so it was obvious to the recipients that it was not kosher.

Bloody creatives little critters aren't they ?

Verify your account
We've detected unusual activity on your account. To immediately restore access to your account, type your phone number below.​

I would be changing my password if I were you if you have strange things happening on your account.

Was on holiday last year in Vietnam and was using one of the airport internet terminals and in my tiredness clicked the OK button on the "Save Password" popup without reading it, just to get the stupid thing out of the way.

The next day my whole contact list which pretty much consisted of anyone who had sent me an email or I had sent them one over the past 6 years got a spam mail in very bad English about some online electonics shop and they kindly :mad: also deleted all my contacts as well.

I was just lucky they didn't change my password so I changed it immediately and spent the next week or so replying to people apoligising for the spam

Verify your account

You need to scan your computer - now!!!

In all likelihood you have picked up some sort of infection which has changed the actual bookmark details for gmail and is redirecting you to the hackers account.

As an interim delete the gmail bookmark and then just manually enter the gmail.com address. This should take you to gmail without redirection.

If you still get redirected then the virus is active on you PC.

Cheers

As an interim delete the gmail bookmark and then just manually enter the gmail.com address. This should take you to gmail without redirection.

Tried to go to gmail manually and it still takes me to the "enter the country/mobile #" page.

Oh, bottom.

Will take it to be looked at asap!

Thank you friends.

Back