Going to Europe! any hot spots to check out?

Oh yeah I forgot Vienna, Florenze. Nice places. There are so many.
Even though I was'nt all that impressed with Paris.

I think Celeste is referring to Portofino, also a very nice place.
I remember driving up & down that coast all way to Monaco :cool:

Out of all the places I went on my European honeymoon, my two favourites were favourites for opposite reasons:

Venice: Because it's the most 'different' from anywhere else I've ever been.
London: Because it's the most 'similar' to home (i.e. similar to Sydney anyway).

Just got back from our honeymoon.

We loved Dresden, that was our favourite place in all of Europe. Other places that we enjoyed were Berlin (except for the hotel), Heidelberg, Salzburg, Lucerne and Turkey.

Places we'd skip next time include Paris, Calais, Hungary.

Prague was OK, but we probably spent a little less time there. Vienna was a bit overrated, but pretty nonetheless.

If you want to have a read of our thoughts on Europe in detail check out http://wanderingwalnuts.blogspot.com

I have to admit having family scatted around the place helps with this, but a great thing to do is to drive around following the minor roads not the megga express ways.
We drove from Brussels to Heyres (sth France) following minor "D" roads mostly. Get to drive through many nice villages this way. Also we did it in between seasone so there was little tourists around.
Villers Bretonneux is a must for Aussies, in the nth of France, also make sure you understand a little of who Sir John Monash is 1st. Go to the mesume above the school in town also the memorial on the west side of town. Then also the spot where Monash realy kicked but to the nth of town also. There are well run guided tours there for this, not done one myself though. Amiens is a nice city to stay in when there visiting this area as well as Albert and see the underground in Albert also.
Following the great war thing, go to Brugges in Belgium, beautiful city, no war has passed though here, there are well run tours from here of flounders fields. Another must as an Aussy.
The french TGV (french high speed train) is a must also, I wish Australia had something like this.
Far nth of Germany is nice, Lubeck and even Hambourg is worth it.
Holland is worth it also, everything is neat and tidy. Keep an eye out for a mess, you'll be looking for it! Hire some bikes out of Hoorn from the train station and spend 3 days riding from village to village, easy as. No roads just purpose made bike way, have an aussy flag on your bike for this also, you'll get stopped constantly.

Have fun!!!

Back