Gold Coast Unit Empty: Advice appreciated.

Hi,

(Fist time property investor and first time Forum User.)

I need some advice.

I have a Unit on the Gold Coast rented out to tourist market.

Ok, I understand the situation on the Gold Coast appears bad.

My unit been empty for 3 months. And this years Occupancy rates appear seem to be 4 days a month!!!

I don’t think I need to spell out what that means finically.

Yes I agree the economy is not at a peak at the moment. (Understatement of the year!) But I can’t sit here and do nothing.

Would appreciate any advice.

Are there success stories out there? Hoping for encouragement.

Bella.

Do you own the place you live in (in Brisbane?). If this will rent, and you can move into the GC one, this may be a better outcome for you.

Or else sell the GC unit - the market won't be doing much any time soon!

Hi,

(Fist time property investor and first time Forum User.)

I need some advice.

I have a Unit on the Gold Coast rented out to tourist market.

Ok, I understand the situation on the Gold Coast appears bad.

My unit been empty for 3 months. And this years Occupancy rates appear seem to be 4 days a month!!!

I don’t think I need to spell out what that means finically.

Yes I agree the economy is not at a peak at the moment. (Understatement of the year!) But I can’t sit here and do nothing.

Would appreciate any advice.

Are there success stories out there? Hoping for encouragement.

Bella.
who and how is it managed? how is marketed? where is it?

how long have you had it? what occupancy has it achieved in the past?

would it be worth (if able to do long term leases) sticking a resi tenant in it for 6 months till tourism recovers?

It will really depend on the lease/contract you have with who ever is managing the property or complex.
Does the apartment block allow permanent occupancy that is the big question
as most don't.

to get a better understanding of your problem other than the property has been vacant can you either post the link to the current marketing or Pm me.

Definitely pull it out of the holiday letting pool and give it to an agent to let on a 6-12mth lease. A lot of unscrupulous guys manage these complexes and ensure sure their mates' places are rented out first so yours is at the bottom of the pile. Also hard to know for sure if your place really has been vacant.. i know some of these managers rent them out on the side but you'd never truly know if it was occupied or not.

Answers to responses so far....

Wow I am impressed with the number of responses in such a short amount of time, Thank you all.

Do you own the place you live in (in Brisbane?). If this will rent, and you can move into the GC one, this may be a better outcome for you.

Or else sell the GC unit - the market won't be doing much any time soon!

Hi JWR,

MOVE INTO UNIT:
Yes we do own our Brisbane house. This solution has crossed my mind. An expanding family and space would be an issue, but it is an option.

SELLING THE UNIT:
We have also considered selling. After researching the sales of units from the same complex, we would have to sell the family home to pay off the mortgage. An option, but hopefully a last resort.

who and how is it managed? how is marketed? where is it?

how long have you had it? what occupancy has it achieved in the past?

would it be worth (if able to do long term leases) sticking a resi tenant in it for 6 months till tourism recovers?

Hi Ed,
These are good questions that I probably need to get more in depth answers to. But in the meantime….

WHO AND HOW IS IT MANAGED:
It is managed by an onsite manager. I am unsure as to the extent of marketing beyond their website and websites such as wotif.

OWNERSHIP:
Over 2 years.

OCCUPANCY:
I don’t have exact figures. I can say that the first year every month had occupancy rates which were high enough to make substantial returns. The second year appears to have an occupancy rate of a week per month.

what have you already tried in the last 3 months?

StefanA,
Basically I have left it to the manager. This plan worked for the first year, and we made extremely good profits. We have not fared as well in the second year. The cause is probably due to a myriad of reasons, but management and staff have changed.

It will really depend on the lease/contract you have with who ever is managing the property or complex.
Does the apartment block allow permanent occupancy that is the big question
as most don't.

NWW,
YES….. We ARE allowed permanent occupants.
I need to research the “logistics” of this, as I don’t really know where to start.

to get a better understanding of your problem other than the property has been vacant can you either post the link to the current marketing or Pm me.

Have you got a link to the Holiday Unit?
Oh, I see it has already been asked for above.

Russell and Dec,
Hope this is the link you want.
http://www.clubsurfers.com.au/

Everyone,
Thank for your insights. You have given me a lot to think about, but more importantly, you are getting me more focused on what needs to be done.

PERMANENT OCCUPANTS:
You guys seem to think this is the way to go. So how do I go about finding a permanent resident? Where would I advertise? Someone mentioned an agent. Getting an agent is the best way to do this? Any recommendations?

CONTRACT:
I will need to get my hands on the contract again, and see what my limitations are.

BODY CORP MEETINGS
Was considering going to Body Corp meetings. Do you think this will be useful?

Thanks once again for your help.

Which building is this in?

Maybe you could try to rent it our on a permanent rental rather than a holiday rental.

Ultra Property,

Please see website addy above.
As for permanent rental, I think that this is the way to go.
With schoolies and the Xmas period coming up, I am guessing that sticking it out for that time might be a wise decision as tourism will hopefully be at a peak then, and finding residents over xmas might be difficult.

ANy thoughts?

Definitely pull it out of the holiday letting pool and give it to an agent to let on a 6-12mth lease. A lot of unscrupulous guys manage these complexes and ensure sure their mates' places are rented out first so yours is at the bottom of the pile. Also hard to know for sure if your place really has been vacant.. i know some of these managers rent them out on the side but you'd never truly know if it was occupied or not.

Wow. People really do that?
Thanks for broadening my view.
Generally, are you allowed to find out how the units are allocated, and what occupancy rates are of the complex?
I have often wondered that...

Yes unfortunately. If you want to find out how the units are allocated and what the occupancy rate of the complex is you'd have to ask the manager but this couldn't be relied on. I'd get in touch with a local agent and let it permanent but i think you'll find your manager may try to make things difficult if you follow this path considering the management fees you pay him/her.

Yes unfortunately. If you want to find out how the units are allocated and what the occupancy rate of the complex is you'd have to ask the manager but this couldn't be relied on. I'd get in touch with a local agent and let it permanent but i think you'll find your manager may try to make things difficult if you follow this path considering the management fees you pay him/her.

based on 4 days a month the amount of mgnt fee wont be a whole lot

ta
rolf

based on 4 days a month the amount of mgnt fee wont be a whole lot
Yeah 4 days a mth is pretty bad but i reckon the total fees are more than 15% if you take into account cleaning, laundry and other cream they take off etc . The main thing which would get them offside (if they're acting dodgy) is they've lost the opportunity to make a bit on the side if you let it through an agent.

Russell and Dec,
Hope this is the link you want.
http://www.clubsurfers.com.au/

Thanks
Its a shame they are all studio appts., I imagine it would be difficult to rent out full term to the "right" people.
TA concurs and its all been given mostly, bad reviews

Bad Management?

“Filthy dump”
Reviewed September 10, 2011
Worst place I've ever been. Room looked like a jail. Photos advertised were good. Pool was filthy and small. Permanent residents looked like criminals and made me and my partner feel very uncomfortable. Terrible place!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...s-Surfers_Paradise_Gold_Coast_Queensland.html

Me, based on your figures and the reviews would be looking for a way out

Im speechless to get that many bad reviews would be hard to get. if I was looking to stay in short term accommodation I would stay elsewhere.

I think your only option is to put a long term tenant in place.

May be worth waiting until min Jan when the market picks up.

Put the management through an outside agent not onsite management.

Im sorry there are business people out there that treat out investment properties like this.

Good luck

if you can get out without costing you do it and move on.

Lots of bad reviews, here's a few more which might explain your 93% vacancy rate.

“disgusting, inconvenient location a huge dissapointment”
We stayed here for 3 nights in January. James on front desk was very helpful, and tried his best to accomodate us in such disgusting circumstances. Pool guy was obnoxious and creepy, rooms were dirty and covered in mould, drier did not work and fell off the wall. Google map shows this place right in the heart of surfers on Cavill Ave, but it IS NOT ON CAVILL AVE!! it is a very noisy and inconvenient location. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!

“club surfers was not nice experience”
club surfers not happy and would not stay again ,rooms were not cleaned properly staff was rude and very lazy , place is runned down alot since i last stayed. and the place is full of residents living there witch made it not so nice really poor service would not stay there again better places to stay for better value !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“nothing like photos , never again”
mould in the roof of the bathoom , shower leeked and just nothing like the photos.

“Please stay somewhere else...”
We stayed at this hotel for a week to celebrate my partners birthday. The hotel was noisy and the staff were not very professional. Reception opened at 8:30am but the girl did not show up until 8:50am. We had a bus to catch that we then missed. I rang the after hrs line while waiting for reception to open and the person on the other end advised "the manager is running late". As Club Surfers long-term rent the apartments out to locals, there were a lot of noisy hoons who drink and party until late at night, making the complex not an easy spot to sleep. There were also a set of "rules" on the wall for the hotel. The most inconvient being that you had to supply your own toilet paper once you had used your one alloctaed roll! You also had to take out your own rubbish and wash your own bedding and towels. The week we were there, there was no house-keeping provided at all by the staff.
I would not stay here again and would reccomemned others find an alternative accommodation

“Never again!”
We have just gotten back from our stay at Club Surfers and were bitterly disappointed. My parter and I travelled with 2 other couples and all of us were in agreeance that this would be the last time we stayed there. We had 3 separate rooms, each which varied in levels of comfort, even though we all paid the same amount and had used the same holiday vouchers. We were told our rooms were all 1 bedroom apartments and as it turned out, 2 were studio rooms with beds crammed into them. Our room was extremely uncomfortable and by far the worst out of the three. It had painted brick walls which made it feel like a concrete room. The bathroom was old and crusty and felt dirty even though it had been cleaned. We only had a shower curtain that was mouldy and the fridge kept turning itself off. Our room did not come with a phone and one of the power sockets in the bathroom just pulled out of the wall when a plug was unplugged from it. We realise it is only a 2 1/2 star hotel but there is no way I would rate it at that. Well not our room anyway. The resort was extremely rundown and there are many long-term residents living there which made it very uncomfortable to enjoy our holiday. We were constantly yelled out at by drunken residents and many rooms had 5 or more people staying in them. We even had to pay $10 to rent tennis racquets that had broken strings and tennis balls that did not bounce. This all being said though, we found the management and staff to be very friendly and accommodating. If you are thinking of staying here just be aware of what you are in for and that the rooms vary greatly in their facilities. Our room looked nothing like the brochure and website and for this reason we feel we were ripped off. Next time we will pay extra to stay at a higher star resort.

Last edited:
I remember visiting friends who stayed there in 2001, apart from being very small the unit needed basic maintenance and repairs, condition was ordinary, looks like people are still experiencing that based on looking at some of those reviews and pictures.

Hopefully the purchase price was very good? Selling a unit with no yield will be tough, perhaps look into the long term lease idea, fully furnished with a view to bumping up yields for sale?

Bella from your comments it looks like you would be in a -ve equity position (mortgage greater than sale proceeds) if you decide to sell, also you mention you made profits last year? Interested in how this is possible with this unit? Management is obviously a big part of this challenge as people have pointed out.

Good luck with everything and hopefully you can get those numbers higher with rents!

Unfortunately, it is a very basic, bottom end of the the market, type of place. Being a studio (is it?) doesn't help.
I would refurbish it, repaint, re carpet/tile, new furniture, appliances etc (fully self contained), install aircon if not already in etc. It couldn't cost all that much in a small unit.
I would then promptly remove it from the onsite management, and list it with a local real estate agent for long term rental. Talk to a local REA first though.
The Gold Coast holiday rentals market is very ordinary, at the moment, with no light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck with it.

Back