Gold coins or bullion ?

According to the Australian Constitution Sec 115 "A state shall not coin money, nor make anything but gold and silver coin a legal tender in payment of debts."

Hi All
I watched this google DVD the other night.
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7786804090607217621&hl=en-CA
Had some interesting stuff about the worlds economic outlook.
Might be worth a peek.
Cheers
Simon
Hi Simon

If you want to collect some more info re this topic and also some possible tools re how to handle these concerns then you may want to look into HS Dent as per the The Next Great Bubble Boom

the link to his site is as follows

http://www.hsdent.com/index.php

Cheers

Hi Simon

If you want to collect some more info re this topic and also some possible tools re how to handle these concerns then you may want to look into HS Dent as per the The Next Great Bubble Boom

the link to his site is as follows

http://www.hsdent.com/index.php

Cheers

OMG that first link is a real whinge session! A long govt bashing session. only half way thru... hopefully it picks up some pace. I note it is 8 years old, with asset prices inflating greatly since that time

How many forecasters have has been as wrong as Harry (Next Great Bubble Boom) Dent?

His ideas have some merit in that few seem to believe we are due for continued economic prosperity through to 2020 odd, just that he sprinkles the whole book with ridiculous forecasts and extrapolations.

The only way his numbers for the Dow are going to eventuate is if we have Weimar/Zimbabwe like inflation, or I'm walking backwards to Perth.

When you are paid 100k a speaking engagement all those outrageous predictions pay for themselves many times over.

OMG that first link is a real whinge session! A long govt bashing session. only half way thru... hopefully it picks up some pace. I note it is 8 years old, with asset prices inflating greatly since that time
I assume your refering to the video? What I found annoying was the sound grabs, where obviously the people being interviewed had much more to say but only the bits that suited the docu were used. It goes for a long time.:eek:

As far as Dent goes I enjoyed reading his books, as I can identify with the cycles he touches on. I would say I am mindfull of his concepts in my investment strategies.

Cheers

So all
What are the somersoft predictions for the future of our monetry system in the light of info presented thus far on this thread?????
I don't really have a clue, but with all avenues of investing I believe it pays to know well the game you are playing.
What's your spin on the future?
Simon

The first part of the video is going on and on about the US government borrowings
and it's increased deficit and spending.
It seems to me that the documentary was made for the US
but they were throwing references to Australia just to make it relevant
to Australians. The US deficit is certainly a worry, but the Americans
seem to be comfortable with it otherwise they would have done something about it.
cheers

So all
What are the somersoft predictions for the future of our monetry system in the light of info presented thus far on this thread?????
I don't really have a clue, but with all avenues of investing I believe it pays to know well the game you are playing.
What's your spin on the future?
Simon

Stable economic growth and inflation with a few recessions thrown in.

No depressions, no crazy economic events.

Gees, no wonder I get no coverage in the press.

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7786804090607217621&hl=en-CA

That video was 334 mb, it took 2 hours to d/l
Anyway, the 2nd part of the video talks about paper money and shares,
how the banks create money out of thin air and how the stock market collapse is coming.

The message they are trying to pass to paper money holders is this
"the end is near, reduce your debt on paper money or go bankrupt". :eek:

What's going to happen to the equity we used to buy shares or to our super?:eek:
Maybe I should sell my few hundred shares and convert them to gold..........:)
That could be enough to pay the mortgage for a month....

Beauty and rarity. Found any gold lately? Held a 1oz Perth Mint Nugget in your hand? If not, you should buy the 2001 "Prospector" issue as a gift to yourself or some one dear to you.

Sunfish was that your coin for sale on ebay. I noticed 1 person bid and it went for $999.99 to some guy overseas. I tried doing some reserch on the Prospector coin but could not find too many for sale. Was that a cheap price to pay I guess with gold at $800.00 odd dollars an ounce its not too bad.

Dave

Interesting how it makes a perennial appearance :)

Discussed last year: http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24079

I buy bullion,
www.ausbullion.com.au

but recently bought some GOLD on the ASX (as a bit of an experiment, as it can be geared)
http://www.asx.com.au/investor/industry/mining/bullion.htm

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

Is it possible to -ve gear investment in gold bullion?. I'd assume that the answer is not since it doesn't produce an income. Is this right?

Thanks,
James

Hi Y-man,

Is it possible to -ve gear investment in gold bullion?. I'd assume that the answer is not since it doesn't produce an income. Is this right?

Thanks,
James

My understanding: you can borrow money and claim interest only if you are generating an income from trading (i.e. buying and selling the metal / shares/ warrants on a regular basis). Would hope it would not be too negative though (or else you'd be a lousy trader....)! :)

Cheers,

The Y-man

Hi Y-man,

Thanks,
James

Basically on its own it would be difficult to -ve gear but if it was part of an overall portfolio it would just look like less returns for your overall holding costs.

(this is not tax advice and tax avoidance is illegal;))

Cheers

Back