Gold

v nice. i took delivery os 10x 1oz scotties and a few half oz gold tigers the other day, the scotties were pretty much spot and the tigers were only a $9 premium.

also finalised my perth mint silver proof series. i got the entire set under spot, so sitting on about 40% profit retail.

Watching the market and timing your purchases from the mint :confused::confused:

i was watching gumtree for "bullion" and a guy in woodvale was selling a bucketload of proof coins to raise funds for his wedding or something. the coins were the currency sets, 5,10,20,50,$1 and $2.

he only wanted what he paid for them for some reason. i didnt argue i just gave him the cash and ran, by then spot was $39 just down from $42. at current prices ($31) plus numi premium (ive had them valued) im still up 60%. i got an 03,04,05 and 07. apparently the 03 is wortht he most, followed by the 06 because its got the 1c and 2c pieces as the 40y commemorative edition. apparently the 04 is rare because the box isnt jarrah and no one really like them and take up was quite poor, which is why its held its value and the mint went back to jarrah boxes...dunno, could just be a story.

i also got a half oz double kook square 50c proof. paid numi but it is a very interesting coin and the double kook is a little rarer.

so i went hunting for the 06 and found one in south perth. still in the plastic wrapper, i paid numi value for this. so this combined with the previous steal all up im about 40% in front with spot @ $31.

it was just a right place right time kinda moment. there another bargain out there now that im seeing monday, a Mint bar @ current spot, no premium.

Thanks for the story Aaron, I also read a piece on Hobo-Jo's site about some coins on e-bay. In both cases I'd say anyone looking at similar should best know what they are doing, whats the old saying about money & experience :D

It was also interesting to see Hobo-Jo's wages/gold price comparison chart, one of the guys I know who has been mixed up with gold for years has always commented that gold has 'always been around a weeks wages'.

Looking at a simple inflation calculator, $1 in 1800 would be..

$1 of 1800 dollars would be worth: $17.54 in 2011

$1 of 2011 dollars would be worth $0.06 in 1800

Not quiet 1800 (1801 touted) other research shows the economist maybe Jeremy Siegel

Investing in a Gold Mining Company

While investing by buying gold can be a good choice as opposed to keeping currency from one or a few specific countries, the actual value of gold has increased only moderately well in the past 30 years.

During the same period, stocks from companies in certain industries have outperformed gold as a metal by huge dollar amounts. One popular economist pointed out that $1 invested in 1801 would have been worth around $1,000 in the year 1998. The same $1 put into the stock market would have reached the $500,000 mark by that same year. However, the $1 put into gold would have actually decreased in value to less than one dollar.

This financial analysis will not sway people from continuing to invest in gold. However, for those who believe in gold as an investment, putting one’s money into the stocks of gold mining companies will see much larger returns. If a gold mining company’s profit margin is, for example, $400 per ounce of gold, a 10% increase in the price of gold would equate to a 20% increase in the profitability of the mine, which very well could bring about a 20% increase in the stock price of this company.

Article source

There are also some interesting stories about Gold still being well off inflation adjusted highs. With some gold in store, though most funds in property and the stock-market, I still enjoy gold's lustre

Having a look at E-Bay... they actually have a Bullion Centre

I started buying silver at abt $7/oz from a gentleman who had been a numismatist all his life, opened a shop, and was selling up to fund his retirement.

I bought quite a few silver coins but I was there when a guy came in offering him a set of four gold coins in a set. [four of these]

rare-collectors-2000-olympic-gold-coin-set-115

That image didn't open for me. Try

http://www.coins-auctioned.com/auctions/rare-collectors-2000-olympic-gold-coin-set-115

He was selling, not buying bullion, so we did a private deal.

I paid $500 which was under spot at the time. Probably my best buy.

Some wise words from Robert Kiyosaki

Sell Aussie

February 2, 2012

I love Australia and its people. No other country or people have been kinder to Kim and me. So I write this blog with concern and hesitation, a little fearful for their future, as well as ours.

A few days ago, I attended a seminar on what to expect in 2012. The future does not look good for most of the world. The presenter posted a number of charts on the world economy. Two charts caught my eye: the Baltic Dry Index and the Harpex Index.

The two indexes measure ocean freight, indicators of world trade, and the world economy. They caught my eye because my education is in ocean transportation. I learned to be a merchant-ship's officer at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy.

Both indexes are important because the Baltic Dry Index measures raw material transported by sea, and the Harpex Index reflects finished products shipped in containers. Both indexes look like a black-diamond ski slope. If they don't change direction and head back uphill, depression is imminent.

I'm concerned for Australia because the Aussies ship in bulk which is measured by the Baltic Dry Index. Countries such as South Korea, Japan, India, and China ship refined manufactured products via containers which is measured by the Harpex Index. If this trend continues, Australia, India, and South Korea will follow the rest of the world into the recession—a double dip. This is not good for anyone. If I were in Australia today, I would use their strong dollar to buy gold and silver.

agree that its now wise for aussies to diversify their holdings into international markets to gain the benefit of a high AU$.

Disagree about the Baltic Dry Index, this used to be a good leading indicator, but not anymore now that the Chinese have flooded the market with ships.

Traditional measures such as copper, rail container rates/traffic, retail sales etc are still used.

isn't that an older message of kiyosakis? i remember him saying this a few years ago which is what got me starting to think about Au/Ag.

I started buying silver at abt $7/oz from a gentleman who had been a numismatist all his life, opened a shop, and was selling up to fund his retirement.

I bought quite a few silver coins but I was there when a guy came in offering him a set of four gold coins in a set. [four of these]

rare-collectors-2000-olympic-gold-coin-set-115

That image didn't open for me. Try

http://www.coins-auctioned.com/auctions/rare-collectors-2000-olympic-gold-coin-set-115

He was selling, not buying bullion, so we did a private deal.

I paid $500 which was under spot at the time. Probably my best buy.

Great work ;)

That link/auction is coming to a close shortly

Just trying to insert the image now..

28213_8.jpg

worked that time

Thanks Redwing.

I spent some time on that "Auction Site" last night and it looks to be merely a showcase for dealers, selling at retail prices.

Of those coins I now have all but "Journey Begins". Will just have to bite the bullet and pay the asking price some time.

hobo - can i ask why you bought the liberty?
aren't they only 91% Au?
I bought a few because they were a good price (paid around 7% over spot when they normally incur GST)... they are 22k, but their AGW is still 1oz (they are heavier than pure Gold coins). I only paid around $20 more per coin than what it would cost me for Kangaroos.

I felt I had to send Kiyosaki a reply to that 'COR' update as I found it was somewhat misleading. Here's what I wrote...

Robert said the following in reference to the drop in the Baltic Dry Index ...

"If this trend continues, Australia, India, and South Korea will follow the rest of the world into the recession—a double dip"

But according to the Financial Post (quote below) the reason for the decline in the index is largely to do with an increased fleet size, while seaborne volumes have actually increased by 3%.

"The fleet will swell by 14 percent this year, almost five times the 3 percent gain in seaborne volumes of minerals and grains, according to Clarkson Research Services Ltd., a unit of the world’s largest shipbroker"

This doen't make me a bull for Australia but I do think selling Australia might be a little premature given the reason for the drop in the BDI. Australia has low goverment debt, plenty room to move on interest rates, & huge increases in contracted exports to China, which is expanding again. If & when China 'blows up' then it's a different story.

This came through my inbox the other day but delivery only to American addresses. Priced at $169 sounds ok ?
http://www.1stfederalcoin.com/
consider what these graded Twentieth-Ounce Gold Pandas are currently selling for:
1987 MS69 Gold Panda $308.99
1988 MS69 Gold Panda $288.39
2001 MS69 Gold Panda $411.99
2011 MS70 Gold Panda $257.49

2012-PandaGld1_20MS70_LP.jpg

This came through my inbox the other day but delivery only to American addresses. Priced at $169 sounds ok ?
http://www.1stfederalcoin.com/

http://www.1stfederalcoin.com/content_images/2012-PandaGld1_20MS70_LP.jpg
You're paying over double spot price here for a "numismatic" coin, risky business unless you know what you're doing.

2012 = 800,000 mintage on the 1/20th Gold Panda
2011 = 600,000
2001 = 200,000
1988 = 468,683
1987 = 133,088

According to PCGS there are 4000 MS70 2012 coins.
37 in 2011.
None in 2001 (and very low MS69).
None in 1987/1988 (and very low MS69).

So the official coin mintage is a lot higher in 2012 as is the number of highly graded coins. So just because it's priced much lower than the value of the older coins you can see that the older coins have reason to be priced much higher.

If you want to buy bullion it's as simple as walking into a reputable dealer and paying a few percent over spot. If you want to dabble in numismatic coins then make sure you do your reading!

Back