Gold

comparing gold (wealth preservation) to stocks (wealth speculation/growth) is literally apples and oranges.

you don't PARK your money in the stock market, you INVEST.

you dont INVEST your money in gold, you PARK.

this is all moot.

comparing gold (wealth preservation) to stocks (wealth speculation/growth) is literally apples and oranges.

this is all moot.

You invest because you think the company behind your investment is doing a good job at driving profits, which they either pay you as a divident or reinvest in their assets.

I think the worlds governments are doing a good job of driving profits in my gold investments :)

this is all moot.

:cool: Really? .... this is less than a rudimentary understanding of gold, which in the modern world has many forms. Ie. ETFs, GLD, Physical etc...

BTW, JPM does invest in the precious metals market..... quite considerably I might add. Try telling them they are merely "parking" billions....

big difference between bullion and ETFs - especially considering you can naked short 515 metric tons of the stuff in 4 hours without even being in possession of - of have access to anyone in possession of - 515 metric tons.

GoldVsSP500.jpg

I wouldn't call this PARKING. I'd Say it's an INVESTMENT in a growth industry, money printing.

I'd go so far as to say that money printing is about the only growth industry today, without it every country would be like Greece (which is in this predicament (in part), because it can't print it's own money).

Gold is better than productive. Gold keeps productivity honest. Without it you have no way of knowing whether you're sustainably productive, or just faking it.

Warren Buffet argues that gold is not productive (in order to protect his tax status at the expense of others). But gold has been successfully used as a measure of productivity for over 10,000 years. Of course governments do get greedy & debase their currency, or create fiat currencies. But throughout history fiat currencies fail.

The USD fiat currency itself is only 41 years old & look at the trouble it's in. Somehow I doubt the good ol' greenback will be keeping us safe for another 10k years.

I'd Say it's an INVESTMENT in a growth industry, money printing.

I'd go so far as to say that money printing is about the only growth industry today, without it every country would be like Greece (which is in this predicament (in part), because it can't print it's own money).

hahahaha touche!! :cool:

Today was an interesting one for the gold stocks on ASX.

Many of the blue chip ASX300 gold companies rallied, e.g. from my super account:
IGR +6.5%, PRU +7.7%, SLR +7.5%, KCN +3.8%, TRY +3.9%

However many of the juniors on my watch list fell with the rest of the market:
AQQ -6.7%, ARD -5.3%, CJO -9.2%, MCO -8.6%, MSR -5%

So market is still wary of the higher risk gold stocks at the moment, suspect this trend might continue perhaps until the Greece elections June 17th.

Another interesting day for gold stocks on the ASX

Performance from 14/6/2012 to 21/2/2013

ASX +24%

Gold -3%

PRU -43%

KCN -38%

TRY -36%

SLR -27%

IGR -34%
(IGR merged with SLR, stock swap 6.28 IGR shares for 1 SLR share)

Maybe a time to buy gold, maybe not, but do your own research on the asset class and the vehicle you use in invest in that asset class.

Last edited:
Yep definitely. But you can cherry pick time frames to show just about anything.

The last 2-3 years have been very average for Gold stocks and the last 12 months shockingly poor. I exited most of the stock positions I held in my personal account back in 2011, but kept those in my Super and have probably seen the the average of them fall 30% from peak. But they are only a small % of overall portfolio, I've added to a couple as they've declined.

I would suggest revisiting their performance in 12 months time (Gold vs Gold Stocks) as based on measurements over the last decade Gold stocks reached the most undervalued point in the bull market yesterday (as a ratio GOLD:XAU) as panic selling set in, so good chance they will outperform Gold on the next big run which I'm expecting will start this year:

https://twitter.com/bullionbaron/status/304379910452035584

BDlf6nfCQAA0Dwl.png

Yep definitely. But you can cherry pick time frames to show just about anything.

The last 2-3 years have been very average for Gold stocks and the last 12 months shockingly poor. I exited most of the stock positions I held in my personal account back in 2011, but kept those in my Super and have probably seen the the average of them fall 30% from peak. But they are only a small % of overall portfolio, I've added to a couple as they've declined.

I would suggest revisiting their performance in 12 months time (Gold vs Gold Stocks) as based on measurements over the last decade Gold stocks reached the most undervalued point in the bull market yesterday (as a ratio GOLD:XAU) as panic selling set in, so good chance they will outperform Gold "on the next big run which I'm expecting will start this year:

https://twitter.com/bullionbaron/status/304379910452035584

BDlf6nfCQAA0Dwl.png

I find it odd that you exited most of your stock positions in 2011 and here in May/June 2012 you are pumping up gold stocks with quotes such as

"The environment we have today is every much as bullish for Gold as we've seen over the bull market."

"I there is a good chance we've bounced off a significant bottom which may be the lowest price we'll see before the end of the bull market."

"It's not too late to be onboard ;)"

"there are many oversold miners with good cash flow and large reserves"

An investor who bought a an ASX200 tracking share such as STW would have turned $100,000 into $128,000(incl. Divs) where as an investor who spread $100,000 over your gold shares would now be sitting on a paltry $66,400, needing a 100% increase in share price to catch up.

Suggest you also have another look at your peak to trough range, not 30%, more in the vicinity of 50%, you would again need to double the share price just to break even.

I find it odd that you exited most of your stock positions in 2011 and here in May/June 2012 you are pumping up gold stocks with quotes such as

"The environment we have today is every much as bullish for Gold as we've seen over the bull market."

"I there is a good chance we've bounced off a significant bottom which may be the lowest price we'll see before the end of the bull market."

"It's not too late to be onboard ;)"

"there are many oversold miners with good cash flow and large reserves"

An investor who bought a an ASX200 tracking share such as STW would have turned $100,000 into $128,000(incl. Divs) where as an investor who spread $100,000 over your gold shares would now be sitting on a paltry $66,400, needing a 100% increase in share price to catch up.

Suggest you also have another look at your peak to trough range, not 30%, more in the vicinity of 50%, you would again need to double the share price just to break even.
Talk about quoting my posts out of context.

The first 3 quotes were clearly about the price of Gold, not Gold stocks.

A. "The environment we have today is every much as bullish for Gold as we've seen over the bull market." <- It was, it still is. Doesn't mean instant rally (although we did see . We were/still are working off one of the largest moves higher in the metals in the bull market to date.

B. "I there is a good chance we've bounced off a significant bottom which may be the lowest price we'll see before the end of the bull market." <- Reference to Gold/Silver after they had bounced off $1525/$26 respectively. They haven't been that low since.

C. "It's not too late to be onboard ;)" <- This was about two weeks after the bottom in Gold/Silver.

D. "there are many oversold miners with good cash flow and large reserves" <- This was paraphrasing something sunfish had said. But I do think there were oversold miners then as now.

Nowhere did I suggest anyone spend $100k on Gold stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first 3 quotes were clearly about the price of Gold, not Gold stocks.

A. "The environment we have today is every much as bullish for Gold as we've seen over the bull market." <- It was, it still is. Doesn't mean instant rally (although we did see . We were/still are working off one of the largest moves higher in the metals in the bull market to date.

B. "I there is a good chance we've bounced off a significant bottom which may be the lowest price we'll see before the end of the bull market." <- Reference to Gold/Silver after they had bounced off $1525/$26 respectively. They haven't been that low since.

C. "It's not too late to be onboard ;)" <- This was about two weeks after the bottom in Gold/Silver.

D. "there are many oversold miners with good cash flow and large reserves" <- This was paraphrasing something sunfish had said. But I do think there were oversold miners then as now.

Nowhere did I suggest anyone spend $100k on Gold stocks.

hobo

Obviously you are very touchy about the results and think the're best kept under wraps.

I took the first 3 quotes to be about gold and the last to be about stocks and the relationship I find between them is that,

-you see the market as bullish as it has ever been
-you consider the market is bouncing off a significant bottom
-there is still time to invest in gold
and that
-there are gold stocks oversold i.e. cheap

and as you have and are using gold stocks as a vehicle for your gold investments, other may also consider these stocks as a vehicle for their gold investments.

I always think it is good to review results and compare them to other investments which is what I have done and is also something that you do in your blog.

I never claimed that you suggested people invest $100,000 in gold stocks, more dreaming on your part.

Can you actually point out where my numbers are incorrect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously you are very touchy about the results and think the're best kept under wraps.
Not at all, it's just the way you are extrapolating a small portion of my portfolio from higher prices than I purchased is deceptive and underhanded. Especially when bringing it up specifically on the lowest day gold stocks have been sine 2008. How about you revisit those share prices in 12-18 months and see how they are doing compared with stocks? Yes broader market has outperformed gold stocks over last 6 months, are you saying you bought STW 6 months ago? Are you saying the broader stock market will continue outperforming gold stocks? Would it be fair to revisit your position in STW on a day I see it's doing particulalry poorly?

If you want something to track, I recently put 10% of my portfolio into slv call options:

http://www.bullionbaron.com/2013/01/bullion-barons-slv-call-options.html

The position is currently 30-40% down, but we'll see where value goes before expiry. Not a vehicle I would suggest is for the faint hearted.

Back