Golden Beach, Paradise Beach/Ninety Mile Beach VIC

Hi All!

A friend of mine just bought some land in Golden Beach along the 90 Mile Beach in VIC. He paid $25k. He claimed that prices had doubled in the last 6 months. I spoke to a property valuer in Tralalgan over the phone and he also said they had doubled in last 6-8 months.

Compared to surronding areas it seems to be 'cheap' and i wonder what the future holds.... There are a number of surrounding lakes to Golden Beach and Paradise Beach and it seems Mosquitoes breed here. The valuer said there were 'millions of mosquitoes'. I'm not sure how much of a factor they are. I'm planning on going out there this weekend to have a look.

What do you know about this area???

Any comments welcome...

Thanks,

Novski

Oh, yeah, them there mozzies are real bad.

I was exploring the area last year in summer and had to check out the bush behind one of those beaches ( can't recall which one it was now...) due to nature calling.

Wow, did I run out of there with shorts on half mast heading for the safety of waiting car. Those mozzies attacked my pink rear end with a vengence, and I still had to fend them off inside the car!

That aside, I loved the area. But that's because I'm a beach freak :cool:

I'm really not sure of the potential of the area, primarily because it is such a long way away from Melbourne and the regional towns are not much chop when it comes to services, jobs etc. It cannot be compared to Qld Sunshine Coast. I wonder however, what development plans the shires might have in mind. That could change the picture dramatically.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't mind buying and living there myself, even with the mozzies. Just apply lots of that aerogard poison and you'll be right mate.

Desto.

Might sound funny, but if you can't step out of your front door without getting eaten it's not much fun if you ask me. I wonder if this really is the deterring factor...

As you said Desto, the beaches are supposed to be great so what's keeping people away from a cheap area with beautiful beaches?.... I'm going out there this Sunday.

Thanks,

Novski

Hi,
I went to Golden Beach and Paradise Beach last Sunday. The lake(Lake Reeve) has been dry for the last 4 months, thus no mosquitioes last 4 months, but no water - when water plenty mosquitoes. The estate agent was very honest, i couldn't believe my ears.

Other observations i made....
1.Beaches are beautiful, however i noticed signs warning of strong undercurrents. Tells me this would be unsuitable as a family/swimming beach.
2.Views from any of the blocks are not possible due to sand dunes.
3.Residential developments are mainly small cheap fibro cement or hardy plank. There are only a hand full of decent size and quality homes going up at the moment - one small positive.
4.Nearest towns, are Seaspray quiet, flat, no development happening. Sale is 30km inland.
5.Three hour drive from Melbourne which makes it a bit hard for those wanting to drive across on a friday night after work and back on Sunday night.

I can't see many positives. Any other ideas/opinions...

Cheers,

Novski

l live in Sale and can tell you property prices in the areas you mention have easily doubled in the past 6-12 months admittedly off a pretty low base. It still amazes me!

Sure its quiet and peaceful but the mozzies are as bad as you heard when theres water around, Bass Strait is way too cold for swimming except on a 40 deg day, undercurrents are a problem, the water depth increases rapidly and there is no shortage of sharks not that anyone has been taken in a long time. Fishing is OK at best.

Its hard to say if prices are going to continue or its just a result of the real estate price surge that has occured in Sale over the past 2 years. A lot of buyers from what l hear have been from Melbourne though so maybe this area seems too cheap to be true to some buyers.

The local shire subdivided this land in the 60's and has been trying to sell and develop it ever since. l remember the parents of friends of mine who were 10 pound poms telling me how soon after their arrival they were taken on a free bus ride along Golden Beach trying to sell them land. Even then they baulked and couldnt see the potential. l still dont.

If you are Melbourne based and are looking to invest on the water l would consider Lakes Entrance or even better, Merimbula. Both of these places are only just starting to boom and are going to be major growth centres from the baby boomer retirement/relocaction seachange thing.

Thanks Mondie,
Yeh, i found out that the prices had doubled in Golden Beach and Paradise Beach but like you i still can't see the potetial there in the long term.
How have you recieved reports about Lakes Entrance and Merimbula? I think you could be right.
Cheers,
Novski

l guess living in Sale, Lakes and Merimbula have been two places we often go for holidays, Lakes mainly for short stays and Merimbula for a week or more.

l have always loved Merimbula, its a beautiful spot and better than any coastal place in Victoria l can think of. Its starting to attract a lot of money and retirees from Canberra and Melbourne, with Sydney interest also increasing. The seachange thing with the babay boomer generation. Occupancy rates in the good apartment complexes in Merimbula run at 80%+ over the year, its a very popoular holiday spot and even has a good winter season.

Worth a look.

Back