Good property development books

Dear guys,

Have just finished reading 'The Property Development Process: Western Australia' by H.L. Reynolds & P.L

In analysing it firstly Kim is right, it is aimed at large scale developments and is quite general.

Was it the "magical" book that I was looking for to give me all the secrets of property development............. No.

However currently it is the best AUSTRALIAN property development book that I have so far found out there until Michael Yardney decides to publish one.

It goes through the processes from the initial feasibility (Land identification, consultation with local authorities, preliminary financial testing etc) through to the approval process, construction and marketing of the development.

I will continue to look and add to this knowledge base however it was a certainly a welcome addition to my property development knowledge.

Thanks to Dionysus888 for suggesting it.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Hi Sunstone,

go to the Property Council website and their bookshop has just launched a new book called Projects as Wealth Creators for about $35.00.

I haven't read it yet, but eagerly awaiting it's delivery.

Dear Joanna,

New information is always good. I had a look but it says it was published in November 2001 with a length of 34 pages.

Nonetheless am always interested if it is good. After you get and read it would be great if you can write a basic review or synopsis on it.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

'The Property Development Process: Western Australia' by H.L. Reynolds & P.L

Yes, it is aimed at large scale developments and is quite general, but why don't you think that the same principles in the book apply to small scale developments? The DCF's (discounted cashflows) are invaluable and are used for assessing the deals; the figures don't care whether its a big or small deal. Where else can one find DCF's for property?

Last edited:
Originally posted by dionysus888
For those in Melbourne there is a book "Property Development: A Beginners Guide" put out by Greg Thompson earlier this year that may be worth a look. It takes you through the process of a recent development in Port Phillip. $69.95 at McGills in Elizabeth St.

I have this ook right in front of me - less than very basic not useful. Don't bother getting it

Couple of good (dirt cheap) reads.

http://www.smartpropertydevelopment.com.au Peter combens smart development checklist- sheer brilliance, free download, only four or five pages of pure gold.

http://www.yourproject.com.au has two things for sale, and ebook and a developers toolbox. Buy the ebook, it is great, forget about the toolbox, it is a complete load of crap- most is not even related to property!

Will be receiving Colm dillons ebook soon- Residential development made easy. http://www.realestatedevelopmentcoach.com

Also ordered An Intelligent Guide to Australian Property Development from wrightbooks. http://www.wrightbooks.com.au/realesta.htm

Shall let everyone know how they go

I am esp. interested in finding out about options and subject to's to tie up properties prior to council da applications. Hopefully they will have some good info on this.

Dear WP,

Enthusiasm is always good to see, although all of these sources have already been mentioned elsewhere on the forum. It is interesting to note that that none of these were around more than 12 months ago.

On options a couple of comments:

An Intelligent Guide to Australian Property Development Ron Forlee
0 731401 31 X RRP: $29.95

A basic but useful read for $29.95. However you will not find any information on options in this book.

With Peter Comben his course will give you some information on options and it is possible to get copies of the option agreements that he uses. Currently what he is planning to do is to release on his DVD a separate section covering options in more detail. (Three weeks production estimation -$220 course graduates; $550 general public.)

Enjoy your journey.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Sunstone,

Have you thought of doing an owner builders course? I am presently doing one through the open learning Institute in Qld. Fair bit of info re developments in this. - feasability, budget, timelines, research, cordells etc

Also REIQ has a property development subject that you can do.

Best of luck
BUNDY

Have you thought of doing an owner builders course? I am presently doing one through the open learning Institute in Qld. Fair bit of info re developments in this. - feasability, budget, timelines, research, cordells etc

Dear Bundy,

Time to have a look at when the original question was posted. ;) Though I'm sure the forum would welcome your feedback on the owner builders course.

Cheers,

Sunstone.

Back