Good Rental Yield?

With or without the grant, I don't see how a FHB is in the position to fund $50k for a subdivision + $200k for a new house? The capital gain could be there, but what about the holding costs? and the yield, which is what this thread is about..

Lol. I just wanted to know whether getting between $300-$320 pw for a house I paid $317000 for is good or not :p

Yes, I believe after all expenses (based on $300 rent), I'm out of pocket $14 pw.

Is that ALL expenses or just the loan?
Dont forget rates and insurance, maintenance, management, vacancies etc

IO repayments on $317k are $1254/mth @ 4.75% (close to your numbers)

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/calculators/homeloan/loanrepayjava.asp

but what about the average rate of around 7%? Thats $1849/mth, a shortfall of $162/week

or 10% IR it's $2641/mth, a shortfall of $360/week

Lets forget about P&I for now;)

And yes, there is lots of development, currently and in the near future.

Cool

Dave

Is that ALL expenses or just the loan?
Dont forget rates and insurance, maintenance, management, vacancies etc

Yes, that's where I'm out of pocket $14 pw.

IO repayments on $317k are $1254/mth @ 4.75% (close to your numbers)

http://www.stgeorge.com.au/calculators/homeloan/loanrepayjava.asp

but what about the average rate of around 7%? Thats $1849/mth, a shortfall of $162/week

or 10% IR it's $2641/mth, a shortfall of $360/week

Lets forget about P&I for now;)

Rates will drop before they will rise. I will just have to keep a close eye on them :)

why do people not include outgoings in thier yield calcs?

include all income pa, minus the outgoings, divide by the purchase price - THATS your yield.

So which of the two methods is being refered to above?

I think the method Blue Card suggests is the most relistic. I do understand a need for a quick calculation when assessing potential buys.

Are the good returns mention above inclusive of all expenses?

why do people not include outgoings in thier yield calcs?
include all income pa, minus the outgoings, divide by the purchase price - THATS your yield.

That is your nett yield - yes, correct.

The reason that gross yields are almost always used is that the nett yield will depend on your own particular costs, especially of money. e.g. I pay 1% above because I'm low-doc. She pays less because she has a Pro Pack etc.
Costs will also depend on the deposit % you put in and whether or not you have to pay LMI.
If you are quoted gross, you just need to know your own individual costs and you can do the sums from there.

Gross yield is just the weekly rent x 52 divided by the purchase price x 100% and any REA or buyer can do those maths........admittedly some still cannot.

I'm with propertunity on this one.
When comparing properties:
Calculating net yeild required too many arbitrary variables that are unique to each individual's circumstances.... however calculating gross yeild will be constant no matter who is looking at the property in question.

HOWEVER, when analysing your OWN personal finances - I agree that net yield should be what you calculate. I do this myself by analysing my cashflow - i believe it is more prudent to know your cashflow rather than know a specific net yeild %.

Back