Googlemaps: where is the worst suburb

Just being a stickybeak,

I recently went to visit a suburb which was considered to be one of the not so nice suburbs, however when I got there, the houses were old, but other then that it was quite a normal street to my surprise, no houses on fire, no police chasing people, no drug deals going on, no crime scenes, no people sitting in their drive way holding rifles..... when I did a googlemaps search, same again, just a normal looking street with old houses and slightly older cars!

have you found a suburb (not necessarily Australia) that using googlemaps, that simply reflects its reputation?!?! ie bad

Not too sure why sunday morning would be a problem...

Piston Broke: did you come back alive???:p

Yeah I understand Saturday nights, but nit sure why Sunday mornings would be a problem - unless you mean 1/2pm? I do my drive throughs on Sunday mornings as there's never much traffic so I don't annoy people driving slowly.

Some of the signs I look for are:

Graffiti on telegraph poles
Burnout marks at intersections
Bedsheets as curtains
Security grills on local shops
etc

I also look at the gardens, the lawns and even the trees on the nature strips.

Another sign to watch out for - car seats on the front verandah, or even in the front yard..

It's worth hanging around potential areas at all hours of the night to see what goes on. I got caught out once. Bought a nice house in what appeared to be a really nice area, good neighborhood etc. Unfortunately it was situated between a rough area(albeit some distance away) and the CBD. On Friday and Saturday nights it was the main thoroughfare for the riff raff, who caused all their trouble on the way home.

RC

On Sunday morning when it's daylight you see the remnances of any problems that happen between Sat 10pm & Sun morning that may have been missed otherwise.

I've never been dead (yet), more alive than ever, and so is my gripe.
I just decided I'd get some other dog to ask the questions.

Just being a stickybeak,

I recently went to visit a suburb which was considered to be one of the not so nice suburbs, however when I got there, the houses were old, but other then that it was quite a normal street to my surprise, no houses on fire, no police chasing people, no drug deals going on, no crime scenes, no people sitting in their drive way holding rifles..... when I did a googlemaps search, same again, just a normal looking street with old houses and slightly older cars!

have you found a suburb (not necessarily Australia) that using googlemaps, that simply reflects its reputation?!?! ie bad

I found one that I thought would be nice and peaceful

You know the kind, where its a Sunny Day, Sweepin' the clouds away, On my way to where the air is sweet. Wher you can Come and play, Everything's A-OK ,Friendly neighbors there , That's where we meet

But, zooming In I found it actually looks quiet dangerous ;)

images

I found one that I thought would be nice and peaceful

You know the kind, where its a Sunny Day, Sweepin' the clouds away, On my way to where the air is sweet. Wher you can Come and play, Everything's A-OK ,Friendly neighbors there , That's where we meet

But, zooming In I found it actually looks quiet dangerous ;)

images

Do tell!!! unless you don't want us to know about it,

im just dying to see a googlemaps close up with a house on fire or 3 cops chasing a thief down the street!

can also just be a street in a suburb. we live in a very nice area - 5 mins to cbd, 5 mins to beach, 8 mins to work, walk to school etc.

we live in a cul-desac (old thru street blocked off) which T's into the main road - but you don't hear it.

next street over has traffic lights at the end and pub over the other side of the main road. friends in that street say they get all the rabble late at night heading from the pub into town, down their street - rubbish strewen everywhere and loud skylarking ... but we get nothing one block over.

Back