Gorgon getting closer....

INPEX ICHTHYS PROJECT, Northern Territory

The following project overview is current for 2012. Our objective is to provide information on projects that are considered to have a strong likelihood of proceeding, where information in the public domain has been updated in the last 12 months and where we deem that the opportunity for jobs is also strong.

Operators: Inpex Browse Ltd (76%, the Operator) and Total E&P Australia (24%) Corporation

Location: Middle Arm Peninsula at Blaydin Point in Darwin Harbour, and offshore Darwin

Timeframe: Final investment decision was announced on 13 January 2012, with first LNG shipment scheduled for 2015-16

Cost: US$34b

Employment: More than 3,000 jobs during peak of 4 year construction phase ramping up in 2013, and a full time workforce of around 700 during production.

Yea I agree with fox89.

Speaking from a sparkys point of view ,this is the big year for gorgon where they will be really ramping up the workforce .
I know kentz and leightons are looking for hundreds of sparkys and TA's and the job is a long way from completion it's barely even started.

Workers have been there for years but that's been for the civil work and building the camp.

dont think so mate - gorgon has been going for ages, if anything, there are less jobs going now than there were before

I take it you are just guessing?

Gorgon are just ramping up now. They haven't even finished the last of the accommodation rooms yet.

Darwin starts ramping up middle of this year, but really won't get into top gear till 2014.

I take it you are just guessing?

Gorgon are just ramping up now. They haven't even finished the last of the accommodation rooms yet.

Darwin starts ramping up middle of this year, but really won't get into top gear till 2014.

Gorgon has been going for a while... A relative used to contract there.

They are building the construction camp atm. Still lots of work to go apparently.

Gorgon has been going for a while...

Yes it has. I was on the Marine 500 drilling rig back in '98 when most of the wells discovered the gas field....although it was generally delineated.

I remember the posters on the wall in the office in '99....

"Gorgon Gas - working towards final go ahead by 2001, with first gas produced in 2004".

A tad ambitious no doubt.

As a country, we are very fortunate John Howard gave the final green light to proceed a mere 3 days before he resigned his Govt prior to the 2007 election. If we had of left it to the Greens controlled Labor, it would still be floundering on the shelf under some Tasmanian clown.

It really depends on which trade you are in for what phase of Gorgon is of interest to you.
It's been on the cards since the late 90s and now heavily gearing up for first LNG in 2014. At the moment it's all about construction then will shift to operations.

Then there is also Wheatstone.

It really depends on which trade you are in for what phase of Gorgon is of interest to you.
It's been on the cards since the late 90s and now heavily gearing up for first LNG in 2014. At the moment it's all about construction then will shift to operations.

I was just about to mention Wheatstone, and to a lesser extent, BHP's Scarborough LNG (still waiting on FID but pretty much there) and Macedon Domestic Gas Plants at the ANSIA as well. 5,000 construction workers for Wheatstone, plus another 5,000 for Scarborough/Macedon and completely separate accommodation camps cos Chevron and BHP cant play nice

They say first LNG in 2014 but highly unlikely as all big construction jobs run way over schedule.

Take the Pluto LNG plant in karratha, which is on the main land not an A1 class nature reserve a couple of 100ks off the coast with strict quarantine etc etc
It was 16 months late from the first expected gas and 1/3 over budget.

There is years of work on gorgon left, then the commissioning

the first gas by 2014 is just one line connected for domestic use it will be at least another 3 years before commissioning i worked up there for 3 years establishing the camp and the LNG plant has hardly even started people have just started doing inductions this month.
We used to laugh at the newspaper articles at smocko time and how completely opposite it was to what was actually going on up there just the other day i did my induction for the next contract this was also a laugh!

I hear Darwin is starting to ramp up now is this true or what stage of the job is it?

What are the pay and condition like there for sparkys does anybody know?

Any info would be great

I hear Darwin is starting to ramp up now is this true or what stage of the job is it?

What are the pay and condition like there for sparkys does anybody know?

Any info would be great

there are a few, INPEX is just kicking of - Leightons (Contractors) have the civil work - I would have thought electrical is a way off.

the guys I know doing FIFO who were working in NSW tell me its alright.

Im working right in the middle of the Gorgon project. very cool to watch all the big modules for the gas plant come off the boat and being transported into position. I was watching the concrete pours taking place today on the 2 massive LNG tanks. there 50 metres high and they have been pouring concrete around the walls for over 6 months now. there nearly there. the word on the street is theres about another three years before this place is running, i have also heard 5 more years lol. All i no is its a good place to be if you can stick it out and manage all the rules. Darwin and Wheastone are the two other big ones electrical for the plant is a long long way off.

Back