Gorgon getting closer....

you guys out in the sticks can you give me a bit of a heads up of where this is and what towns are around that you think will grow.

James Price Point is very near to Broome, but Broomies don't want the gas development. apart from which the land is tied up in native title I believe. Broome prices will no doubt hike once this one goes, I don;t think residents will get much choice in the matter. Derby is likely to be a big winner and we have interests there. I am not sure about what's actually at Onslow? it will possbily be a purpose built camp. anything to do with Pluto = Karratha. Karratha has other industries of course and there is a new resource being developed just south of it. Port Hedland is the recipient of the investment in ore, with more and more infrastructure being rolled out.

with all this you have toi wonder if it still makes sense for Inpex to pipe theoir small amount of gas all the way to Darwin.

looks like Gorgon is just a tiddler anyway

Woodside says Pluto will dwarf $50b Gorgon

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/5840299/woodside-says-pluto-will-dwarf-50b-gorgon/

I like this too....

"Not to be outdone, Chevron announced yesterday another big gas discovery off Dampier in what is likely to boost the overall value of another of its projects, the Onslow-based Wheatstone LNG venture estimated to cost $30 billion"

Aye karumba!

I'm getting giddy... these guys must be seeing worldwide demand for gas going through the roof. Seems fair enough to me... it's all good! :)

Karratha here i come baby....

Hi BC

The jury is still out on what Gorgon would mean for Karratha if anything - the whole shebang will be run from Barrow Island with only some supplies coming through Dampier...

Pluto on the other hand... is a bit of an unknown as far as expansion goes. Don Voelte makes an interesting point about cost of brownfield development versus greenfield A Class Reserve development. There may well be room for both in the market anyway - who knows? Train One is nearly done - if oil prices go up enough then we will get something, otherwise it's all just gas-bagging! Pardon the pun... :eek:

hi all
nice old pub in onslow
not alot there except salt hills but a nice harbour.
don't look forward to another flight there but is it worth packing the bags again.
last time no water or drainage and councils not able to help.
maybe its worth acouple of people to give me a bit of a heads up on how its all moving

hi all
nice old pub in onslow
don't look forward to another flight there but is it worth packing the bags again.
last time no water or drainage and councils not able to help.
maybe its worth acouple of people to give me a bit of a heads up on how its all moving

http://www.ashburton.wa.gov.au/community/townsites/onslow.html

This is the link to the council website. You might find some information here.
We have friends in Exmouth - perhaps they'd go for a drive for us? Hmmm

hi all
nice old pub in onslow

Next time you go that way take a detour to the Old Onslow townsite, there is good camping by the river a few km before you get there. Plenty of catfish that you can catch and cook on the campfire while watching the sunset and knocking off a few cold stubbies. You can use the historical townsite as an excuse to camp there a couple of day. :D

Hi BC

The jury is still out on what Gorgon would mean for Karratha if anything - the whole shebang will be run from Barrow Island with only some supplies coming through Dampier...

more than just Gas related.

the land releases of late have put 1200 homesites on the ground.

according to one of the reps, each stage is selling out in about 20 mins from a backlog of over 200 clients.

so there's still demand.

add to that Port Hedland aren't releasing ANY land, and Karratha is releasing a fair bit - one would have to assume there's a reason for the government bodies to be releasing so much land - projected demand.

considering WA's planning process involves over 5 seperate applications and processes, these have all been pushed through pretty quickly in comparison to other estates.

Wish Barrow Island was for sale.

The Chevron consortium would be a good Tenant over the next 50 years.....with appropriate environmental clauses to protect the Landlord of course.

more than just Gas related.

the land releases of late have put 1200 homesites on the ground.

according to one of the reps, each stage is selling out in about 20 mins from a backlog of over 200 clients.

so there's still demand.

I think landcorp has some industrial sites for sale still? the yields are similar to resi there but I guess you have the upside of lower outgoings (push them off to the tenants). It's a strange place where resi yields are higher than comm!

Perhaps a really stupid question guys, but what sort of royalties does the Govt. get from this sort of resource activity or is it just on tax paid by the co's? eg. if the gas produced was in line with the China contract of $50B over the next 20yrs, what figure would the govt. get over that term?

Perhaps a really stupid question guys, but what sort of royalties does the Govt. get from this sort of resource activity or is it just on tax paid by the co's? eg. if the gas produced was in line with the China contract of $50B over the next 20yrs, what figure would the govt. get over that term?

http://www.abc.net.au/rural/content/2008/s2660434.htm

"It is expected to have a spend level of $30 billion for construction and service industries and provide almost $2 billion in royalties."

Not much detail here, but it does mention a figure.

hi TPFKAD
nope for me
but a hover taxi service
water plane
investment house with 100% investment property
even cheap removable accomodation
all are a tick.
sell the shovels not the gold
look at what they will need and fill that.
and they will need heaps

and they'll need houses for execs and workers.

try and land a hovercraft here in WA with pilot and get Chevron to take you up on it? well, it's just quicker, easier and cheaper to buy 2 or 3 houses leased at market rent and live off the $150kpa it makes you for doing....well, fug all really.

Not quite... it is probably more accurate to say the only thing standing in the way of this project now is itself!

As per here the JV partners have still not committed to build it...

If they were ready to build straight away, you can bet an announcement to that effect would have been made alongside this one. A bit like Gunns and its pulp mill - Gorgon just keeps getting closer... :rolleyes:

I hope I'm wrong and they announce something soon but I still have my doubts...

Back