Got an offer out of the blue - property not even for sale!

That might enable silverbullet111 to deal directly with the buyer, if you think they'll be easier to deal with, but since the buyer will still have to pay the agent a commission, I'm not sure why the buyer would want to do that.
You don't pay an agent on a private sale ... unless this buyer is under some really stupid contract where any house they find themselves and haggle themslelves they still pay that nagging agent.

Which wouldn't surprise me, TBH.

Edit: 4000 posts? Damn I have too much free time.

You don't pay an agent on a private sale ... unless this buyer is under some really stupid contract where any house they find themselves and haggle themslelves they still pay that nagging agent.

Which wouldn't surprise me, TBH.
The agent would have been engaged by the buyer to negotiate the purchase of this particular property, I would think. The agent has already looked up the owner, drawn up contracts, and approached the owner on several occasions. They've earned their commission, and surely no agent's stupid enough to do all this without having an agreement in place which will ensure that they're paid their commission. ;)

Interesting point Bigtone. It's just residential land. Non subdividable, covenants etc. There is a vacant block next door though. Anyone would think they discovered gold there. How come I didnt know about this haha?

If I'm reading this comment correctly you are saying that there are two vacant blocks side by side, and you own one of them. If there are not many double vacant blocks in the area, perhaps you are sitting on a gold mine.

The REA's may have a buyer who needs both blocks and has already secured the one for $x. The REA can't convince the buyer to pay the price your asking because it's much higher than the offer accepted on the first block.

Of course if I've read your post incorrectly and there is only one block, then my post is irrelevant. Given this, even if I've read correctly it's all just conjecture. Either way, it appears someone wants your block and the REA is not getting your less than subtle hints about price. :p

Regards

Andrew

Interesting point Bigtone. It's just residential land. Non subdividable, covenants etc. There is a vacant block next door though. Anyone would think they discovered gold there. How come I didnt know about this haha?

Ring the council and ascertain what the highest and best use might be for the two blocks combined. If you know the size of your block and eyeball or measure the size of the second (especially the combined width available to street level) then council may give you an idea.

Sometimes one plus one equals five or ten (not just two). It may not be as simple as first appearances.

Furthermore, (in Victoria for example) a contract must be attached to a Section 32 (Vendor's Statement) that your lawyer or conveyancer puts together. How can a contract just have a price and terms without the associated title details and so forth. It may vary from state to state, however as to the detail included. Not sure where your site is.

If the agent is merely bringing you a Heads of Agreement, that is no contract and if it falls through then they may want to merely secure your listing. DO NOT sign over an exclusivity (assuming you don't want it marketed) except for this particular buyer or for a very short time period such as a day or two.

Careful of the games that may be being created for you to participate in.

Thanks for the replies & advice guys.

I don't think there is anything overly sinister or convoluted about the transaction the more I think about it.

Basically they just want to low ball the price and offer me as less as possible (as anyone would). However they are being persistent and not listening to me to meet *my* price. I checked realestate.com.au and there is nothing in that area for the price they want my block at.

So what I'm gonna do is something a little cheeky and email the agent to say: "Oh, I'm actually interested in buying another block of about the same size, exclusivity etc as my current one in the same suburb or surrounds...can you find me one for what these people are offering me?"

So the answer would of course be NO! :rolleyes:

silverbullet, everything/anything is for sale, if the price is right.

if you do not like the price then simply say no.

sell when the time and/or price is right for you.

its your property your decision.

Ring the council and ascertain what the highest and best use might be for the two blocks combined. If you know the size of your block and eyeball or measure the size of the second (especially the combined width available to street level) then council may give you an idea.

There is a "new" feature on Google Earth that lets you select points and gives you the distance between them. Very handy for this sort of thing...

Go put a for sale sign on the block. Put the price you want on it and say 'no agents'. I bet the prospective buyer will see it.

You know what will happen?

Every agent in the area will be calling trying to get the listing.

They will completely ignore the "no agents" bit and come up with a million reasons why you should use them instead of going it alone.

Put your mobile phone number on the sign, and let every call go through to message bank.

Any buyers will leave messages, and of course the agents will too, but you can simply ignore them and call the buyers back if you wish.

Back