Government employees

Thanks Mark, by the time one gets to be eg: economics professor, I think time is already ticking away for one's career, speaking on behalf of average joes

Sure, not everyone has the inclination or ability to do that. But if do and if you can slot straight into a FAS (SES Band 2) at Treasury - it might just be worth it.

This person is now a Departmental Secretary (not Treasury).

There is definitely a lot of politics and nepotism involved.

Hubby works for a state govt dept and, from what I've heard, I very much agree with this statement - I'd also add in a massive amount of paranoia in regards to not being seen as discriminating against anybody who ticks a minority box. Although it's vehemently denied, sometimes it's so obvious that it's hilarious that they actually bother trying to deny it.

I wouldn't say this is true necessarily. We had an amazingly talented guy on contract at EL1 level in my area. Really hands on, lots of good ideas, industry knowledge, creative, etc. His contract ended and was not renewed. From the grapevine, it seems like it was a "political" decision based on factors other than the quality of his output. His replacement, who is now permanent, is not as great. More of a performer than a do-er, if you will. There is definitely a lot of politics and nepotism involved.

True, but in my experience the politics doesn't really start until EL2 or higher. But then I'm a contract consultant because I wanted more than a standard permanent job anyway.

Its going to get much tougher to secure one of these

Departments are going to be merged and funding cut back. Many staff losses are anticipated over the next four years

Many staff losses are anticipated over the next four years

I'll be very interested to see how this all pans out.

Howard and Costello famously took an axe to the APS in 1996 and 1997, but by the time I arrived (late 1999) they were again in aggressive recruitment mode.

I'll be very interested to see how this all pans out.

Howard and Costello famously took an axe to the APS in 1996 and 1997, but by the time I arrived (late 1999) they were again in aggressive recruitment mode.

It will be the same this time. They cut, but then departments stop delivering, people bleat, and the build-up of staff starts again. The cycle takes 3-5 years, usually.

The difference this time is that the public service has a higher average age, and quite a few people will start putting their hands up for packages that will see them into retirement.

By 2020, we'll have at least as many public servants as now, and by 2025 I expect Canberra property prices to have doubled from their current level.

It will be the same this time. They cut, but then departments stop delivering, people bleat, and the build-up of staff starts again. The cycle takes 3-5 years, usually.

The difference this time is that the public service has a higher average age, and quite a few people will start putting their hands up for packages that will see them into retirement.

By 2020, we'll have at least as many public servants as now, and by 2025 I expect Canberra property prices to have doubled from their current level.

I wonder if it's going to take that long? Hubby hasn't worked in Canberra in almost five years, yet the last two weeks has been inundated with emails and phone calls from recruiters asking if he'd like to come back as a contractor (IT Tester) and it's actually for specific jobs not the usual vagueness to add to books. All the new Departments require a lot of new or adjusted systems which all require IT (contractors usually).

Back