Graffiti on PPOR

Someone has sprayed a graffiti tag on my PPOR! :mad:

I might contact council to see if they have any way of dealing with the graffiti otherwise I'll just scrub it off myself - any cleaning recs? It's on a painted brick wall.

Also it is worth reporting to police (perhaps overkill, I'm sure they have more serious things to deal with).

Finally, and this may truly be over the top, but I'm sooo cranky at whoever it was that decided to deface our PPOR :mad: is there any point in installing CCTV to try to catch offenders? I'd have to film a public street though... Hmm, it's probably too difficult to install to be able to see the street, but I am just so mad at the moment I'm not thinking rationally!

Anyone with experience with graffiti? :confused:

It might be worthwhile checking with your local council. A number of them provide free graffiti removal kits to ratepayers.

Other than that, the best way to deal with it is to remove it ASAP as it disincentivizes the 'artist' because no-one gets to see his/her 'work'.

Can anyone on SS explain why young people go down this path
Idiots with no respect for others property?

and what the solution is?
A Swiss man has been sentenced to five months in jail and three strokes of a cane for spray-painting graffiti on a train in Singapore.

Oliver Fricker, 32, a software consultant, admitted breaking into a depot and vandalising the train.

The judge called it a serious breach of security.

Caning in Singapore involves being struck with a wooden stick on the back of the thigh, which can leave permanent scars.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10417167

I would report it to police. That's not overkill. For taggers it is a signature so when/if he is caught the prosecution can demonstrate a long string of offenses.

Idiots with no respect for others property?

Agree, but I think there is a little more to it than that. We are all born innocent. Is it boredom, attention seeking or what? I think it may be a feeling of worthlessness, eg: not having a sense of purpose for their life.

Yes - they had that kid on the news tonight. 2nd billing. The one that was hit by a train and killed while graffitting inside a tunnel.

His mates were all raving about what a great friend he was and a really good tagger ... and we're supposed to feel sorry?

we had our roll a door sprayed by a tag. they also did near by fencing, we contacted the council to remove the stuff on their property. they did this promptly.
we reported the property damage to our door to police for their records, and to validate our insurance claim.
our insurance came and organised a new door to be fitted. it could not be washed off or painted over.

hope they do not deface the new door. we do not like to think vandals are coming on to our property. to us graffiti is a crime and needs to be reported to police and dealt with promptly.

Hi Tess

Yes, i have quite bit of experience with graffiti, my house backs on to the train line and it happens a few times per year. I just paint over their artwork with some fence paint, got used to it now.

i agree about removing it quickly , apart from upsetting you by having to look at it, it may deter them next time as their tag isn't on show.

On your painted brickwork, I have tried jif with great success, maybe a light scrub with steel wool, and if you can match the paint then a light coat if any marks are still there
Good luck

Someone has sprayed a graffiti tag on my PPOR! :mad:

I might contact council to see if they have any way of dealing with the graffiti otherwise I'll just scrub it off myself - any cleaning recs? It's on a painted brick wall.

Also it is worth reporting to police (perhaps overkill, I'm sure they have more serious things to deal with).

Finally, and this may truly be over the top, but I'm sooo cranky at whoever it was that decided to deface our PPOR :mad: is there any point in installing CCTV to try to catch offenders? I'd have to film a public street though... Hmm, it's probably too difficult to install to be able to see the street, but I am just so mad at the moment I'm not thinking rationally!

Anyone with experience with graffiti? :confused:

Septone product called 'Tag remover'.

pinkboy

We have wiped graffiti out of our town by getting rid of it within hours by
our local tidy town group .

We use Sosafe products

http://www.sosafe.com.au/

They have some great vids on what and how to use.
http://www.sosafe.com.au/index.php?how_to_use

If its just a colorbond fence we have found turps the best and brickwork
you will need to use 2 sosafe chemicals one over the top of the other to
get a chemical reaction than high pressure spray is usually the best.

If your lucky enough to live in the Wyong shire which is getting hit hard
at the moment the council is giving all ratepayers free graffiti kits which
are made up of sosafe products.

Yes take a pic of the graffiti and send it to police who are building up
a data base statewide for future prosecutions.

Be very careful with colorbond fences as you can take the colour out of them.
Always find it better to spray onto rag first than dab onto panel.
Black spray paint is actually the easiest to remove and red the worst.

I would report it to the Police. Then when you contact council give a report number. Adds a bit of gravitas.

Make it clear to the police you know nothing might come of it, but you want to report graffiti anyway. You may be surprised. They may have had other complaints too. And the only way to build a bank of such complaints is if each householder does complain. If the complaints are mounting they may include your affected streets in a route.

Ditto for council know if there is a prob. Send them an email. It is easy to find email on yr local council's website.

Photograph it and attach to email to council. Photograph/record/date any new graffitti.

Sorry it happened. Bet the bloody tag doesn't even look good. Those with the least talent do the biggest darkest stoopid tags! Another great mystery of our modern times. Sheesh.

I'm friends with some legit. street artists. Do a lot of mural works for councils, community centres etc.

It's bad enough having your house hit. Imagine the agony of having a work of art that you had spend countless hours on destroyed by having some mindless squiggle sprayed on it.

I agree - have seen some beautiful artworks done by professionals. It's the mindless tagging gits that give me the grrrrrrr's

Can you find someone who can decipher the tag? Perhaps a web search (or FB search?) will net some results.

Then go and beat three shades of s*** through the little b******.

Thanks all, it was good to read your responses. (and to vent...)

I have reported it to police using the assistance line 131 444 (NSW only - http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/when_do_i_call_pal_131_444) and to my local council. Unfortunately council only gets involved if it's on their property.

Reporting it to the Police Assistance line apparently doesn't tie up my local police officers as much (which I feel better about because it is a bit of a petty crime - malicious damage nonetheless, but not a major one)

Bunnings didn't have some of the products mentioned but they did have "MUCK OFF" which worked a treat on the mostly red graffiti (black was harder to remove though). Took about 1-2 hrs all up.

We also helped our neighbour remove their 3-4 metres of graffiti using this product (they got hit on the same day, probably by the same idiot). Unfortunately they have black graffiti on a white brick wall so they will need to paint over it, it didn't work perfectly.

I really don't see what the point of graffiti is (esp. railway tunnels? Not worth chancing death for some pointless tag) but to graffiti someone's HOUSE is just low.

If I catch who did it I will certainly wring their neck. As many of you on SS will understand the particular attachment one can have to their PPOR!

Hmm I guess I just discovered another thing to make steam come out of my ears, like queue jumpers and irresponsible drivers....... just hope it doesn't happen to any of you lot! :)

glad you were able to reduce the damage to your property.

as said we reported ours to police, as property damage with details and to our insurance and that has all now been fixed.
the council came and did their property fences further down the road.

its a costly business all considered and even if the offenders are caught there seems to be little penalty.

good to act on it promptly. if you had not been physically able to remove the mess would your insurance have paid to have it done?

I really don't see what the point of graffiti is (esp. railway tunnels? Not worth chancing death for some pointless tag) but to graffiti someone's HOUSE is just low.

We had a palm tree done a while ago
Today I notice a pile of gravel done.

What sort of idiot tags a pile of gravel?

Back