Granny Flat Design Contribution

People,

Hoping to get some input on some designs we are currently working on for granny flats.

We have built several granny flats in the past and each time we have approached it as a custom build i.e. designed it to client spec or made suggestions based on the block etc etc.

Lately we have received a lot more enquiry about granny flats and thought to produce some project styled designs in response. Nothing new i know however I was hoping to use this forum to get some feedback on the designs themselves.

Most of our previous clients have admittedly been very cost conscious and have virtually requested a timber clad rectangle box. Do most investors here prefer this? cost over everything else when it comes to building a granny flat for investment purpose?

Personally I am seeing a lot more granny flats being built behind better quality homes typically owner occupier so I am thinking the evolution of the granny flat would be requiring better designs than the "box"?

Either way would love to here what people think of our initial concepts floorplans or peoples own criteria when they embarked choosing or drafting their own granny flat.

Any input would be appreciated, negative feedback is great too :eek:

** I have attached the floor plans with my own feedback and crossed out those plans i personally think didnt cut it, I will have more designs in the coming days as they are produced.

-- thanks in advance

Attachments

• my_changes.pdf
    372.4 KB · Views: 161
I'm in the market for a granny flat on my POPR and looked at lots of designs lately. We are looking at 50-60sqm but the floor plan (which everyone who quoted so far says is flexible) isn't so important. I'm more interested in exterior, interior finishes (yes built-ins is a good idea) and good old fashioned customer service.

Is it for investment or for another use?

The architects I know have also stressed that most peoples criteria is for (as large as possible) in terms of size which is as you indicated 50-60sqm.

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm in the market for a granny flat on my POPR and looked at lots of designs lately. We are looking at 50-60sqm but the floor plan (which everyone who quoted so far says is flexible) isn't so important. I'm more interested in exterior, interior finishes (yes built-ins is a good idea) and good old fashioned customer service.

I prefer a granny flat to blend in to the landscape and to be more like a house and not a box.

It is adding value to the land, keeping In mind building costs need to increase the value In line with the spend.

In The future I think tenants will prefer a house equal in standard to the original house. The rectangular boxes with little or no privacy and no separate parking may not be in demand....

I agree. Developing for as long as I have and more used to designer builds I just want to keep myself grounded. It is easy to overcapitalise on a granny flat and the purpose of this thread was to get some feedback from people like yourself who might be looking to build one or have in the past to get the balanace between design and cost effectiveness right.

Thanks..

I prefer a granny flat to blend in to the landscape and to be more like a house and not a box.

It is adding value to the land, keeping In mind building costs need to increase the value In line with the spend.

In The future I think tenants will prefer a house equal in standard to the original house. The rectangular boxes with little or no privacy and no separate parking may not be in demand....

I have finalised the two plans I noted earlier in this thread - see attached. Any feedback would be great, negative or positive.

Attachments

• Rescon 1 BRICK.pdf
    131.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Rescon 2 BRICK.pdf
    124.3 KB · Views: 86

I am not so sure. For a GF you are at the bottom of the rental market in price so it won't really matter whether it's a box or not. The interior design will be more crucial.

Not entirely sure, but I feel that in some cases squeezing 2 bedrooms into 60 sqm may be counter productive. A more spacious home with 1 bedroom and larger living area would not only reduce number of people likely to dwell on the site, beneficial for both dwellings, it may also attract a better tenant for the same rent. This would also benefit the tenant in the main dwelling. Food for thought.

Tim, you could try a larger verandah with glass sliding door for entrance if it were well privatised from the main residence. Just thinking on the run. :)

We think alike however I have elected to make the "bi-fold" door option just that an option. It depends on how the house sits in relation to the main property, a bifold may just look weird depending on the GF orientation.

Also due to cost I have elected to make it a option as with extending the patio.

Insitincitvely they look a bit plain facade wise however I fear if i work them too much their cost will make it prohibitive. I feel most people will say GF Rescon is $X and that one over there is $10k less and I will loose out.

Most people dont think "design" when they think GF. I will however have a more designed alternative i.e. a standalone design for those people wanting a more elaborate design. Hopfully have a sketch tommorow.

Thanks for the input, how are your developments going anyways?? Hows sales....

I am not so sure. For a GF you are at the bottom of the rental market in price so it won't really matter whether it's a box or not. The interior design will be more crucial.

Not entirely sure, but I feel that in some cases squeezing 2 bedrooms into 60 sqm may be counter productive. A more spacious home with 1 bedroom and larger living area would not only reduce number of people likely to dwell on the site, beneficial for both dwellings, it may also attract a better tenant for the same rent. This would also benefit the tenant in the main dwelling. Food for thought.

Tim, you could try a larger verandah with glass sliding door for entrance if it were well privatised from the main residence. Just thinking on the run. :)

Agreed I too like the way R2 "works". R1 is for blocks that require a more rectangle design, to have the entry to rooms will require a corridor of some kind eating into valuable and scares sqm...

I will give it some thought and see if i can come up with something.

Thanks for the feedback..

I would prefer Rescon2 over Rescon1 as the bedroom doors don't open in the sitting area.

Most people dont think "design" when they think GF. I will however have a more designed alternative i.e. a standalone design for those people wanting a more elaborate design.

Good strategy to cover both markets. People like a choice.

Thanks for the input, how are your developments going anyways?? Hows sales....

We are doing fine though values have dropped around 10% around here. I am only selling one a year at present although I may sell two this year. We can still achieve decent returns and roll things over which is a good position to be in. I don't see any point in contracting into the negativity out there. I would rather stay active and make less profit - keeps the economy alive. ;)

I have a 1 bedroom option being designed (hoping it comes in tommorow) and also have a studio option. The studio option will be the more "funky\modern" design so it can be used for a work at home\GF option for business.

Stay tuned :)

Have you played around with a 1 bedroom option? Would be keen to see your ideas.

Currently I'm building a 5 x12m two bedder (almost lock up stage). Many people though it won't work but I think it works fine for our wide land. During the design process I couldn't find any 5 x 12 designs.

I would also like to see L shape designs. I think it can be make it look bigger by adding a pergola within the L shape.

I am assuming the design had a bedroom at either end. This was an option for me but I felt its dictated more by site requirement than choice? I think most people instinctively wish to see the bedrooms "together".

Personally if I had my way I would have a convulted design with architectural elements etc... but I think most wont associate it with a GF and wont make business sense.

My wife reins in my design leanings however I have let loose on the studio design which I will post as soon as its done.. keen to see if people share my taste or if I am just being a bit nutty.

Currently I'm building a 5 x12m two bedder (almost lock up stage). Many people though it won't work but I think it works fine for our wide land. During the design process I couldn't find any 5 x 12 designs.

I would also like to see L shape designs. I think it can be make it look bigger by adding a pergola within the L shape.

I am assuming the design had a bedroom at either end. This was an option for me but I felt its dictated more by site requirement than choice?
Kind of no :)
Both rooms are next to each other.
I simply wanted to give more backyard space for the main house. Also wanted to make the flat look big from outside.

5 x 12 design is here. I worked with Serge to get this design done.

Different design from most, looks like some thought has gone into it. How have you treated the external facade? Have you done anything to lessen the rectangle nature?

Would be good to see the finished photos once your done...

thaks for sharing.

Kind of no :)
Both rooms are next to each other.
I simply wanted to give more backyard space for the main house. Also wanted to make the flat look big from outside.

5 x 12 design is here. I worked with Serge to get this design done.

Like the 5x12 design Devank think it should work well. Will you post some pics when finished?:)

Hi Devank,

Here's the floor plan for a 12m x 5m granny flat (60 sq m total) that we did in Pendle Hill NSW if anyone's still interested in this. It's NOT easy when the width drops to 5m because you cant get 2 bedroom across it or even a bedroom + bathroom. We had to lose some space for a hallway but that did give it more of a 'house' feel.

Attachments

• 12m x 5m.jpg
    12m x 5m.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 579
Interesting to see these granny flat designs all only have one access door?

Does NSW not demand two access doors for fire safety?

Back