Granny flat in front of house?

Looking at purchasing a ~650sqm block of land (R20) in Mandurah area and building a ~220sqm 4x2 house with a 80sqm 2x1 granny flat. I want to find a builder that will do both at the same time, hopefully saving costs and minimising access issues.

Finding it difficult to find a suitable corner block so looking at a normal (non-corner) block.

Was thinking it may be better use of the land to have the granny flat in front of the house as it is smaller, allowing room for a driveway down the side to the house. Is this allowed and if so how come no one does it?

Cheers

Aaron

In NSW its hard to achieve because the rule is the average setback of the closest 2 properties divided by 2. Also check for easements in the front of the property.

Regards

Shahin

Aaron,

Why do you want to build a granny flat? Do you have a relative that you want/need to house?
Most people put them in the rear simply because they already have an existing house and the only room is in the back garden. If you are building both then it could go in the front.

If you are doing this to rent out to 2 sets of people I would advise against it until they change the laws. Go look for a higher zoned block and build a duplex.

Well the idea is that to start off the granny flat can be used as a holiday home for the whole family and the house rented out. If in the future the rules change the granny flat could be rented as well.

With the granny flat being at the front it also allows easier parking of the boat on the front lawn.

I am a bit scared of doing a duplex development, I have too much to learn and not enough time to devote to learning / doing.

In saying that a house & granny flat build is probably not that dissimilar from a duplex.

The downside of the granny flat scenario is that it's 2 buildings on one title and the banks will value this quite conservatively as to sell you need to find someone who wants a house and granny flat.

If you did duplex then each has its own title and will value better.

I'm on my phone at the moment so can't link but look on realestate.com.au in Halls Head and check out the little subdivision called Samphire Cove near one of the canals. There is a duplex block in there for around $300k. Not very big block but big enough for 2 villas and room for a boat ;)

Back