Granny flat sensibility check

Hi,
I have an IP in Ashtonfield (NSW). It is valued around 440K now. Currently returning $440 per week.

I gave it go with a rough 'configuration' (pls see attached).

Do you think it can work or is it too crowded?

Attachments

• AshtonfieldGF_V1.jpg
    AshtonfieldGF_V1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 128
The angles do waste a lot of space, I guess you have tried placing the GF square and it didn't fit. How about a longer and narrower version parallel to the rear, or even side, boundary.

Attached is the parallel to the side. This one is optimising the land use but I'm a bit worried about the land slope.

Attachments

• AshtonfieldGF_V1_Horizontal.jpg
    AshtonfieldGF_V1_Horizontal.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 88
I think you can go closer to rear boundary, but as for slope I believe it just has to be able to use the existing system which looks like it drains across the site and down to the street. Brazen can let you know more.

If it's a tight fit, consider going smaller than 60m or single bedroom. What is the demographic there for GF rentals ?

it appears to be a 800m2 block, and the main house looks about 180m2 floor area, not including the garage.

Instead of building a granny flat (maybe hard to find builder to do in $100k in that area?), have you thought about chop up so 120m2 main house + 60m2 for granny flat?
The rent will hopefully then be $380 + $280.

Just food for thought.
depending the floor plan you might get away with minimal cost, such as you may not need comply with basix as your dwelling is already class 1a save on water tank, insulation, energy, water rating etc.
The split of electricity may be costly, but maybe folk out solar panel, and charge tenant for electricity usage, which you already comfortable with.;)

You might get away with $20-30K if floor plans are right..

twodogs, you are right. Angle one is wasting space. Along the side fence seems to be nicer.
I wanted to have at least 5m from the rear so that I can have a sliding door there. It would also give a bit of private backyard.

RetireRich101, you are close. It is 850sqm land with 172 living. Interesting idea :)
Chopping up seems a bit complicated because I need to come up with extra laundry & kitchen. Fireproof walls also would cost a bit. Dividing the land might be a bit messy too.
Actually you gave me the idea to split the garage. It has the perfect setup for it! Please see attached. Main house is still getting nice square 12m x 12m backyard space.
Few benefits.
- No need to mess with the retaining wall
- Both have decent backyard
- Both have lockup garage

Negative:
- Shared driveway

Attachments

• floorMap.jpg
    floorMap.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 80
  • GarageBack.jpg
    GarageBack.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 63
  • GarageFront.jpg
    GarageFront.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 58
having another stab in getting you to rethink of dicing up the house ;) instead of new GF build..

cost wise, I would think spending 20% of what you anticipate but achieving 80% rent you anticipate because of attached GF versus detached..

your plan looked similar to a job i did in blacktown last year, but your plan looks appears to be simpler hence cost should be smaller.

have a look the attached drawing.
-- fire rated wall- i don't see any difficulties. did similar. cost around $5-6k. the laundry and toilet separation doesn't have wall titles so easier.
-- see if the laundry solution works, if not there is no harm putting a external laundry plumbing outside for granny flat, and give existing laundry to front house. the plumbing might cost might be $2-3k
-- kitchen, i wouldn't think it will more than $5k including sink, range, cooktop cabinets.
--need to put a door entry for GF
-- not sure if GF tenant can walk above retaining wall

benefit is that you can always restore back to original configuration by opening the hall way. The firerated wall looks like a normal wall when finished

Attachments

• untitled1.jpg
    untitled1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 90
attached is the schematic of the one i did. the internal layout maybe different to yours by overall footprint is similar.
i could only achieve about $450 rent as whole, but after the conversion was getting $735.
its only a 12m frontage, so yes there privacy concerns and took little bit longer to find the right tenant, but in the end was worth it.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 83
attached is the schematic of the one i did. the internal layout maybe different to yours by overall footprint is similar.
i could only achieve about $450 rent as whole, but after the conversion was getting $735.
its only a 12m frontage, so yes there privacy concerns and took little bit longer to find the right tenant, but in the end was worth it.

Looks good, how is it metered? Sub board for electricity and water included in the rent?

The gf space were an extension so not too hard to separate elect, but if I were do again probably install solar and charge them. Same with water probably as it cost $2k to separate the pipe

Back