land for the GF ( I have attached a pic of the back yard ) or any other helpful

suggestions .

stuart

Attachments

• backyard.jpg
    backyard.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 156
Hi Stuart,

I think it’s a great idea to put up a fence. You’re covering your backside by doing so- the tenant in the main house will know their boundaries and there will be no surprises for them later down the track.

However, this depends on the time frame you have in mind. If you’re not looking to build the flat for another 10 years there’s probably no need.

Now, I don’t want to be negative but can I give you a quick warning? I hope you answered yes because I’m going to tell you anyway…

A large majority of these homes with granny flats are absolute **** fights. Yes, the returns are good but they have high turnover and vacancy rates and seemingly, both tenants never get along.

Also, granny flats are cheap to rent. Sorry, I can’t be politically correct here but usually the cheaper the rent, the ummm… lower quality tenant you attract. That in turn can scare away your main home tenants or make the main house harder to rent.

In all this doom and gloom I have some clients that have done as your proposing and it’s been good for them so far. But truthfully, I see and hear more negative stories than positive.

Do you have rear lane access?

Do you have an aerial shot of the property and a sewer diagram. It will help determine what you can build and how much of the yard you need to chop off. Your block is large and so it will need a larger set back than 3m from rear and .9m from the side.

Need a 3m set back if near a tree (higher than 6m) and if built within 1.8m of the property you need a fire rated wall.

They are the simple things you need to consider first.

Gf

can't remember but i think if your block is more than 900 sqm, rear boundary has to be min 5m....check this one out with serge (brazen)

i ought to know ; but my memory is like a sieve these days:eek:

can't remember but i think if your block is more than 900 sqm, rear boundary has to be min 5m....
You are not losing your marbles yet Virgo :)
You're right, the rear setback is 5 metres, if the lot has an area of at least 900 square metres but less than 1,500 square metres.
Additionally, the side setbacks are 1.5 metres, if the lot has an area of at least 900 square metres but less than 1,500 square metres.......NOT the 'usual' 900mm (0.9m)

You can check all that online here:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/fragview/inforce/epi+364+2009+sch.1+0+N?tocnav=y

A large majority of these homes with granny flats are absolute **** fights. Yes, the returns are good but they have high turnover and vacancy rates and seemingly, both tenants never get along.

A lot of this risk can be mitigated by:
a. Careful tenant selection and the skill of the Property Manager that you engage to manage the property. e.g. you wouldn’t put a young single male who wants to have his mates around with loud music and parties, in the granny flat, with say, a retired couple, living in the front house.
b. Having a set up where tenants don't come in contact with each other - fencing &/or rear lane or side road access is good.
c. Sometimes conflicts do arise (personality conflicts or tenants that do the wrong thing or park in the wrong spot for example) and they have to be managed. But remember this is handled by a good Property Manager. This same thing happens in unit blocks and has to be managed there too.

A lot of this risk can be mitigated by:
a. Careful tenant selection and the skill of the Property Manager that you engage to manage the property. e.g. you wouldn’t put a young single male who wants to have his mates around with loud music and parties, in the granny flat, with say, a retired couple, living in the front house.
b. Having a set up where tenants don't come in contact with each other - fencing &/or rear lane or side road access is good.
c. Sometimes conflicts do arise (personality conflicts or tenants that do the wrong thing or park in the wrong spot for example) and they have to be managed. But remember this is handled by a good Property Manager. This same thing happens in unit blocks and has to be managed there too.

Yeah, like I said, there are exceptions. And I did ask about rear lane access too.

Yeah, like I said, there are exceptions. And I did ask about rear lane access too.

Yeah, I know, just don't want to have the "potential issues" over-stated.

For example, on the positive side, when you get a well matched house tenant & granny flat tenant, they often stay many, many years. We personally have had house tenants that mow the grass for granny flat tenants and likewise granny flat tenants that do the odd baby-sitting assignment for house tenants. Happy tenants = low vacancy rates = maximized yield for LLs.

Whatever you do, dont do something like this... $180 a week for what is essentially a fibro garden shed with seperate external bathroom. How can something like that be legal (then again probably isnt)...

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-villa-nsw-st+marys-409300679

But back to the OP, thats a nice wide side entrance, I would build a GF lengthways down the yard, with a fence running parallel to the pathway back to the rear boundary. It would have its own good size yard as would the house, you could also give it an off street parking space in front.

Back