Granny Flat

See heaps of similar cabins like that as granny flats. So long as its under 60sqm, minimum 900mm off the boundary and the land is > 600sqm then you are generally OK and will get 10 day approval under the SEPP.

You will need to install seperate metering for water and power to be able to charge these to both buildings (house and granny flat) so allow for these in your cost (few thousand)

Also need to allow for stumping and installation and water/sewer/electrical connections (another few thousand).

2 bedrooms

I think you'll find that the rules state that you should have 2 bedrooms as well, so if you look at this plan, it only has one bedroom, therefore wouldn't comply with the current department of planning granny flat rules.

Not to say that you couldn't gain approval under the local Council granny flat rules.

I think you'll find that the rules state that you should have 2 bedrooms as well, so if you look at this plan, it only has one bedroom, therefore wouldn't comply with the current department of planning granny flat rules.

Not to say that you couldn't gain approval under the local Council granny flat rules.

No requirement to be 2br in any reading I have done. And I correct myself, the lot size is now 450sqm minimum in order to be exempt complying under the SEPP.

Hi Dave

Curious to hear whether you have already built your granny flat in Sydney?

Care to share some numbers?

thanks!

ok, so if it is illegal, then what is the purpose of granny flat ?

is it for gran parents to stay over the weekend :-o ?

ok, so if it is illegal, then what is the purpose of granny flat ?

is it for gran parents to stay over the weekend :-o ?

What do you mean illegal ?
If it complies with max size and height. Setbacks, private space, privacy etc etc then it is ok to use as a rental. Even if your local council states that granny flats are not to be rented out separately. The SEPP overrules the council.
Cheers

Hi Dave

Curious to hear whether you have already built your granny flat in Sydney?

Care to share some numbers?

thanks!

i dont know about sydney but in brissie, word is you can build one for about 100k. considering a brand new 3 bed house costs 160k, i dont consider it very cheap

i dont know about sydney but in brissie, word is you can build one for about 100k. considering a brand new 3 bed house costs 160k, i dont consider it very cheap

I just had a client build a steel frame one with hardiplank cladding and colorbond roofing, fully kitted out, for $75K. Considering that he is getting close to $250pw rent for it, that represents a 17% yield on the granny flat - not too shabby!

Does this apply to all councils?

My understanding is that in nsw. Yes it does apply to all councils.

My local council clearly states that a granny flat can't be independent from the house. You can't rent separately and the flat must be attached by an all weather access .
This is clearly different to the SEPP. But the SEPP wins

Reactions: BV
Back