Granny Flats

I have just discovered that in South Australia it is against the EPA regulations to erect a second self-contained dwelling on our land. We have just over quarter of an acre and ample space towards the rear of our land to have a cabin/granny flat/unit.
I am told though that it cannot be fully self sufficient ie can have a bedroom/living/toilet/shower but not a kitchen. It needs to be so that whomever is using the area is also seen to be using the main house for certain functions.
Is this same in other states?
My husband currently rents a room at our local pub. For medical reasons we need to have separate living spaces and as we both co-own our land, having a separate dwelling would be a long term solution to a major problem.
I cannot see how a second dwelling can impact that much on the environment and why we should be "forced" to reside in one dwelling when there is ample room on the land for two.

In Victoria you can, in some cases, get a 'dependent persons' unit' which is our equivalent of a granny flat. However, it is hard to get a permit for it because you have to demonstrate that there actually is a dependent person who needs to use it on your property. NSW are far more liberal in that sense - must be in response to their exorbitant rents up there ;)

When is a kitchen not a kitchen? Check you may find that is dependent on having a wired in stove or a sink. Can you live without these, and wash up in the laundry tub?

In our local council we can have a kitchen or a laundry, not both. I have a European kitchen with a front loader washing machine, problem solved.
A.

All in the wording...

Can you put the kitchen down as bar on the plans? That way you can have a small sink and plumbing and then you can alter later on by putting in a microwave and small bench top oven just make sure you put in plenty of powerpoints.

Also if you had a covered walk way to the main house you could class it as an addition/extension to existing build rather than a house, call it a (ultimate men's) shed.

Regards
Sheryn

Back