Greyhound Live Baiting

Did anyone watch Four Corners on this subject, it was so horrific I wont post the link as it is cruel and disgusting. Kittens, possums, piglets, rabbits have been used

Live baiting has been banned and criminalised for decades, but trainers and owners across the country have been using the illegal training method in the belief that it will improve a dog's performance.

The Greyhound Racing NSW board and chief executive Brent Hogan agreed to stand down on Wednesday night in the wake of the live baiting scandal engulfing the sport.

Self-regulation under the current structure and culture within greyhounds has failed.

Thankfully, major sponsors nationwide are now pulling the pin.

Did anyone watch this on Four Corners, if you choose to view this I warn you its graphic.

MTR

Last edited:
Self regulation is ridiculous.

Under cover operation by Four Corners did not just reveal dodgy, it is beyond belief.

Now out in the open, hope people are so disgusted they wont be interested in attending these races.

We started to watch it, but then it got graphic and we changed channel. I have been following the story though. I don't understand how people can treat animals like this. I have heard there are calls to ban greyhound racing. From the little I have seen, I think it's a good idea. The fact that 20,000 greyhound puppies are killed every year simply because they don't meet the criteria should be enough to ban it. Of the ones that race (and they only race until aged two to four) no one knows what becomes of them. They are either sold to Asia (probably for dog meat) or spend the rest of theirs lives being used as guinea pigs in labs.

The lady across the road from us adopted an old greyhound. She has to be the gentlest animal I have ever come across.

http://www.greyhoundcruelty.com/

http://www.aact.org.au/greyhounds.htm

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/take_action/save-greyhounds-from-export/

http://www.animalsaustralia.org/issues/greyhound-racing.php

State governments are pouring hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayers' money into a gambling industry that not only operates at a loss but also kills most of its product, barbarically kills thousands of innocent animals in the training, sells the remaining off as dog meat or allows it to be used for vivisection. Doesn't make sense.

I'd like to see it banned - hate greyhound racing with a passion - and live baiting is the most horrific thing ... but ...

... if anyone believed that the trainers didn't "live" bait then they had to be pretty naive. That is how they get the dogs to chase the fake rabbit.

My dog chases rabbits because they run fast - and if he happens to catch one (which is a zillion to one chance, but he has done so) ... oh yum yum. He's happy to chase them all day on the off chance he'll catch one ... on the other hand ... he doesn't bother to chase the cat because it just lolls around on the bed all day.

Mind you - surely they could train the dogs with some leftover abattoir guts smeared on the rabbit skin, and let them catch that occasionally.

nhg, you are right: horse racing is pretty cruel to the horses. But you can't do nothing because they're all wrong. Live bait is the issue, and live bait is not used in horse racing.

I would like to see the people involved in this sport (if that's what it is called) live baited themselves. Let them experience what the poor animals go through.

Doesn't make sense.

I think you will find the revenue to the State governments from taxes on wager gambling, which includes greyhound racing, far outweighs any money they pour back into the industry. Some statistics state that up to 10% of a States revenue is derived solely from gambling so, like smoking and alcohol, its unlikely the Government's really want to see any of these activities banned.

Undoubtedly womble
Yet it was ABC 4 corners report that exposed this, I dont believe Government can sit back and do nothing now.

Who justifies what is right and what is wrong? Just food for thought.

we do

as human beings we are the only species with the power to save

unfortunately,

as the wise owl once said

"I saw a hole in the Man, deep like a hunger he will never fill. It is what makes him sad and what makes him want. He will go on taking and taking, until one day the World will say, 'I am no more and I have nothing left to give.'"

the snake that devours its own tail

sad but true

A friend of mine is a vet and is already trying to rehome 10 greyhounds as a direct result. They'll be desexed, health checked & vaccinated. They're in QLD. Tip of the iceberg I would imagine but if anyone's interested I can put you in touch.

I watched it 2 nights ago and just felt my insides twisting and sinking at the cruelty. It's affected me a lot over the last couple of days.
There's some relief in the incredible response that has seen 16+10+13 trainers (and staff) immediately being questioned and suspended or even better, banned.
One of my grandfathers used to love 'the dogs'. As a child, my father told me that back in the old days, using live animals was accepted as the done thing. He was disgusted - I was shocked. I knew it was cruel but what I saw being filmed just blew my mind.
Amazing that the trainers and workers had become so numb - yet sometimes what they were recorded saying and doing revealed that inside themselves, they like animals. Weird.
This movement is gaining more and more traction and what was once the quiet or unspoken is becoming more and more unified and powerful.
To the ignorant, deluded, self-centred and cruel: we're gonna getchya ;).

Reactions: MTR
WI do
Well said, it also blew me away, what the hell is wrong with people, these people involved with this actually getting off from suffering of these poor creatures, even joking ... This one still alive.... You sick fak.

Back