Grumpy old neighbour grilling and turing off prospective tenants at opens

Hey everyone,

I have a property in a quiet, far outer suburban area in a small complex of 5 villa style units.

The complex consists of mainly OO empty nesters. Some of them are particularly 'anti tenant' and don't like the fact that my one is a rental.

One of them has even gone so far as grilling one of the new prospective tenants who attended an open for inspection recently about 'how they can't park in front of the garage' and how it's a 'quiet area and we like it like that'.

Naturally this turned off this new tenant and my property has been empty for 2 weeks now (@ $320pw).

I understand they like it quiet and would prefer another retiree living there, but I cannot discriminate based on tenants age. The last tenant also parked in the common area once before (causing a huge 'hoo ha'). It's not like my last tenant was a nusiance, just a single mum living with her little one, pretty tame lifestyle as far as I could tell.

I'm thinking of first calling the neighbour (if I can guess the right one), trying to calm her concerns, but also remind her that it is against the law to discriminate based on age, that she shouldn't do this and it's costing me $320 each week this property is empty. Failing this, I was thinking of calling up the body corporate and ask them to talk with this neighbour.

What else would people do here?

David.

Hi David,

I've managed properties in complex's like this before. I actually wrote a nice letter addressed to 'the neighbours' and enclosed my business card. In my letter I basically thanked them for their patience with my frequent visits for open for inspections and let them all know that I was working hard to find a tenant who would fit in with the peaceful and well maintained block but if they had any concerns once a tenant moved in they could always contact me.

Potentially opening myself up to silly complaints all the time but fortunately that didn't happen, they busy body neighbours left me to do my job and I found a nice quiet tenant that no one complained about!

Would your PM perhaps do something like that? It stops you from being the bad guy and means there is no bad blood between you and the other owners! :).

Let us know how you go :)

We have a similar neighbour.
Our property super was at the property (currently vacant) and the neighbour came over and started badmouthing the 'landlord'. Our super turned to her said she was the landlord....neighbour quickly left.

How many times, this neighbour did this, when we weren't there, we don't know.
On one occassion this neighbour came over when we were showing the property to applicants...complaining.

We turn to the applicant and just state she is a crazy neighbour, but harmless ...so the neighbour can hear.

Really..there probably isn't much you can do.

Not much you can do. It is your tenant's word against the other residents about what actually happened while she was living there. It is unlikely that a "huge hoo ha" was caused by one minor incident.

However, knowing the demographic of the existing residents, it is probably in your best interests to choose tenants who you feel will fit in and will obey the by-laws that come with community living.
Marg

I would try playing the nice card first as you have suggested. If the neighbour doesn't back off I would let them know that as they are making it difficult to get a "nice" tenant to take the property, it would appear that the only option left to you will be to allow the seven Hell's Angels bikies who have applied to lease the property as they don't appear too concerned that it will bother them.

I suspect they will change their tune quite quickly :D

I wouldn't be pampering to old Mrs Nosey. Let her know in no uncertain terms that she has no right to interfere and her intrusion is unwarranted, unnecessary and insulting, I'd be giving her both barrels and if she continues you will seeking legal advice and have her sent to a gulag in Siberia.

Except for the last bit I'm serious, your new tenant and your property is your business, not hers. You will provide the tenant with a copy of the by-laws and they must abide by these.

Be nice to her and you'll be getting a phone call every week in the event a door gets slammed a little too loudly or a glass gets clinked a little too often. Stuff that. A lot of owners think they can 'lord' it over the tenants in some complexes, seems old nosey parker is exactly that, keeping a good tenant in place for a long term is what makes you money, having these types of people making your tenants life hell means your cashflow is gonna be compromised.

Being part of a body corporate does not mean you have to 'be liked'. Being realistic and honest is much more important.

We have a villa OWNER who doesn't live in the complex where we live and has tenants, causing similar problems. Been harassing and sending fraudulent letters from strata about parking spots etc. Told him we will go to the police next and the courts if it doesn't stop. Both his wife denied banging on our home door or sending any letters. So delusional. Never want to live in a strata complex ever again.

David what do you look like?

Buy some rough looking clothes. Turn ui looking rough and unkempt complaining (loudly) about how if nobody rents YOUR townhouse you'll just have to move in yourself. All the while muttering about where you'll keep the dogs and the Harley. ;)

Back