Gutter replacement n roof restoration

Hi all,

With melb weather getting bad each day... I am thinking of replacing my old gutters , cannot withstand mad rush of rains everyday..

Also I have noticed that roof has started leaking..

Any ideas on costs for replacing gutters for a single story 3 bedroom house?

Also costs on restoring roof(rebedding, repointing n color)

I have gone thru useful tradies thread but couldn't find any recommended tradie for this job in western Melbourne? Around sunshine area..

Kindly share your knowledge n exp as to what to expect, timeframes, approximate costs, what to ask trades?

Regards,
TV

In Geelong, so the numbers may be exactly match, but we had our gutters around the whole house replaced in colorbond, as well as the downpipes.

From memory, it was about $4k, and they took 2 days.

in queensland so not sure if relevant but cost was $13,500 to remove old asbestos roof, supply and install insulation and supply and instal brand new colourbond roof.

You could be looking at 8 to 9 thousand.

Very rough breakdown - 4 for gutters - 2 repoint - 2.5 seal and recoat - 500 for bits and peices. I'm sure you would be able to get it cheaper than this if you do a bit of leg work.

I would get a plumber and roof tiler to come check it all out and provide a quote.

It would be worth while checking why the roof is leaking, could be just a few damaged tiles replacing these a lot cheaper than full repoint and seal and recoat.

Just consider depreciation and write off when you do it.

Brian

Thanks , called plumber and roof person, roughly provided me with an approximate cost of 4k for gutter replacement incl new downpipes n for roof 4200..

Exact prices when they come out and inspect roof n gutters..

Regards,
TV

$2200 for 45m quad gutters, new metal fascia, 4 external corners and 4 single storey 100x50 down pipes fitted. Just shop around and look at the smaller roof plumbers for the best prices. Basically its an old 3 bed HC square house.

All I can say is avoid any company starting with the name "Modern"..................crooks.

Wow thats a good price...
Are gutters supplied by ace gutters?

I would continue to look around..

What sort of warranty you are looking at and is it. A cash job?

Regards,
TV

The Archicentre cost guide reckons about 4k, but we had our gutters replaced in Brisbane recently (high set house) with 45m of colourbond and 3x PVC downpipes.

Got two quotes- roof company, $2850.
Local bloke recommended by house stumper- $2700.

Went with local bloke and he did a top job with his two sons.

Hi All,

OK I have got 2 quotes for gutters and 2 for roof restoration

Quote 1 for Roof:

Wash; Rebed; Repoint (Brand used for repointing RIDGE BOND); replace broken tiles; repair gables & lead flashings; 2 coats of paint - 2445$

Time taken: 2-3 days

Just to rebed and repoint and changing few broken tiles - 850

Happy to provide 2 references

Quote 2 for roof:
Pressure clean; replace broken caps; repoint all caps; rebed necessary caps; sealer coat; 2 coats (Material used for sealing : flexipoint)

Cost: 6400$
Time taken: 3 days

I really dont understand why there is so much difference between 2 quotes.

I think for 1st one person who gave the quote would do the job but for second person who gave the quote might outsource it to some other contractor.

Quote 1 for gutter:
Supply and install new colorbond gutters (Company: Ace Gutters and only they make gutters I have - Style Nu Line)
Remove old gutters and take it with them
Area: 56m of gutters need to be replaced
Downipies: 4
Cost: 3350$
Time taken: 1 day

Quote 2 for gutter:
Supply and install new colorbond gutters (Company: Ace Gutters and only they make gutters I have - Style Nu Line)
Remove old gutters and take it with them
Area: 56m of gutters need to be replaced
Downipies: 4
Cost: 4900$
Time taken: 2 days

I would still be chasing few more quotes to get a better understanding. any more tips would be appreciated? What more probing questions should i ask?

How do I find out materials used are of good quality and workmanship is good?

Regards,
TV

std colorbond quad guttering insydney costs around the $20/lm mark supplied and installed ex gst single storey. 100x50 downpipes allow $90 each single storey

price to remove existing would be a couple hours labour and a bin or tipping fees

Hi,

I had a look on ACE GUTTERS website (http://www.acegutters.com.au/catalogue/customer/home.php?cat=175)

It displays price per m = 27.95$

So for 56m, it would be 1565$ + 4 down pipes (25*4) 100 = 1665

So thats for materials , but my understanding is tradies would get discount from the suppliers because they regularly deal with them

So what should be approx installation costs and disposing existing gutters.

I want to make sure I pay fair price and not too high and not too low

Regards,
TV

Wow thats a good price...
Are gutters supplied by ace gutters?

I would continue to look around..

What sort of warranty you are looking at and is it. A cash job?

Regards,
TV

Not sure but definitely steel not aluminium (I think it was Ace that delivered it) and not cash. Just got quotes from a few large companies then a few from the yellowpages (the ones without any flash ad). Came with invoice, paid by cheque, got warranty on product and workmanship and I even had him back to fix a downpipe issue. All good here.

Just bumping this one as I'm now in the same boat. House is in Gunnedah so really only Tamworth tradies nearby. Standard 3 BR weatherboard home. The rain this summer is running into the house through the ducted air con flashings and an investigation of this suggests the gutters can't cope with the heavy rain.

One roofer has had a look and quoted nearly $13000 to replace all gutters and DPs fix the roof flashings and replace one area of the colourbond roof. I've asked for some time as I can't fund all that yet. He's come back with a quote for $6500 for just the gutters, DPs and flashing around the aircon.

Still seems a bit steep to me so I've asked for a second quote - does the location have a big bearing on costs to get the stuff out there ?

Just had all gutters and downpipes replaced with jasper colorbond for 3 bedroom, split level brick house in Melbourne suburb, total cost $1540 including GST

I asked around for qualified roof/gutter plumber looking for work, was recommended a young qualified plumber looking for additional work

Chris

I think I'm going to go into the guttering business! I just paid $1100 for 64m of colorbond high fronted quad and all the corners, brackets, nozzles, stop ends etc.
The gutter its self was just under $9/m. Took me and the FiL about 3 days to do it all and we're pretty slow.

Just received a quote for maintenance and restoration on a 112m2 3 bedroom property. It was $6,500 or $5,500 if they could place a sign in the front yard for a few months.

Cheers

Jamie

Haven't got the time or desire to go out there and do it myself...looks like 6 grand it is (pending second quote of course) *sigh*

Haven't got the time or desire to go out there and do it myself...looks like 6 grand it is (pending second quote of course) *sigh*

Did you end up finding someone cheaper? I'm in Tamworth and looking for gutters and roof repair too. If went with some who to stay away from and Amy recs?

Back