H&L packages

Going to ask a really basic question as we have been looking for PPOR for ages without much success so are now considering building.

Builder in the area we are looking has a number of H&L packages & before we wander in & ask too many dumb questions I thought I'd start here with my dumb questions:)

What is/should be included in their quoted price? Website gives a house style (name), address, land size & price. Iknow there would be costs to make any changes & I'm guessing there are add on stuff but have no idea what they are:eek:

Cheers
Stella

Hiya Stella

How longs a piece of string .

Some are turnkey and include letterbox, driveway and landscaping, some often need 20 k or more to finish off.

ta
rolf

They should be able to give you a list of inclusions. As said above some will include nearly everything (the only thing ours didn't include was the curtain rods and mailbox - otherwise you could walk in off the street and start living there), others just provide the bare shell (still need carpet, paint, landscaping, fixtures, etc). Just ask them. some places have alot of leyway where you can choose whether to have it included or not.

Cool - thanks guys.
I had no idea having never considering this option before.I wasn't sure just how much was included & figured they could all be different.

Guess its off to another couple of opens then to the builders display for a chat.

Cheers
Stella

Care to share which builder it is and which area you are looking in? I imagine between us we have dealt with most builders we may be able to help from past experiences.

Care to share which builder it is and which area you are looking in? I imagine between us we have dealt with most builders we may be able to help from past experiences.

Still early stages but the area we are looking in is Pacific Pines & Metricon designs look interesting.

Cheers
Stella

Builders that do h&L packages need to make a profit from the exercise. However, in tough times they may need to liquidate to maintain cash flow.

I recommend that you do some homework before deciding on which way to go. Sometimes H&L packages can be an excellent buy, especially in today's market. Sometimes builders that have purchased land in earlier stages at a cheaper price can sell a package for less than what it would cost in newer stages.

As a point of reference a four bedroom 230 sqm house with a good standard of inclusions should cost you around $210k turn key to build on a flat block.

Builders that do h&L packages need to make a profit from the exercise. However, in tough times they may need to liquidate to maintain cash flow.

Sometimes builders that have purchased land in earlier stages at a cheaper price can sell a package for less than what it would cost in newer stages.

Thanks for this info but it seems that where we have looked there arent a great deal of packages available? It seems the land releases have pretty much sold within 2 weeks & packages dont stay around much longer than that.
There is a new release this weekend apparently so we may have a look but I am thinking its going to be a huge hassle - even tho we were warming to the idea of building so we get what we want. We are relatively time poor already so I am a bit concerned about the amount of time we will need to put in to making sure all is as we want it.

We will keep looking at existing houses in a couple of areas & hopefully something will slot into place. Otherwise I am getting close to calling off the search & staying put for another few months or until the noise around here drives me crazy enough to start looking again.
Cheers
Stella

Last edited:
Back