Had my first game of golf yesterday

DH plays weekly and my girls surprised him with a golf coach for his b/day

The problem is he still comes home frustrated after golf. Oh well, more coaching perhaps??

MTR
Frustration comes at every level unfortunately. Expectations are often the problem. Once you adjust them the game becomes fun again. One tip about that - if you play less than once per week; you will never improve - go backwards actually (even if you know what you are doing to a large degree). So, that helps people's expectations when they know this.

My issue is that I can connect with a ball very well - send it skywards for 100m or so, its just that it never goes straight and can move 50m forward and 150m to the right (I slice a lot).
Inconsistency comes at every level as well - but the variation from good to bad decreases as you get better as a player.

When I was playing with my son on hols the other week, he was putting himself down after the first round. Interestingly; I thought he had done ok for a first time attempt.

I explained to him that as a beginner; if he can make contact with the ball 10 times out of 10 swings - that is a good result. If you manage to get only half of those in the air; that is very good.

He was quite shocked at such a low stat as he saw it.

The direction and quality is a next step.

Hi, for those who intend to learn in the near future.

Long ago, my friend thought it was cool to play golf, rub shoulders with the wealthy!

I paid $60 for 1 hour lesson. Coach said I had natural swing - used to play hockey in school you see.

2nd lesson, I couldn't connect with the ball, period. Coach abused me & I abused him back with a black face.

I decided bugger you, I'll hit that little white ball if it's the last thing I did. I bought a bucket of balls and lined up at the driving range.

I swung out at the ***** ball and you guessed it - hit empty air and almost fell flat on my face. I looked around - luckily there was no one to witness my mortification.

I still had $7 worth of balls in the bucket & as I got more and more exasperated, a voice in my head said slow down and think how come you hit the ball every time that first day.

I retraced the instructions and lo and behold, hit the ball in the perfect trajectory.

You know what, the coach stopped giving me verbal instructions on the 2nd lesson and I had crooked my elbow. He used his club to correct me but without the verbal instruction, I didn't "know' what I was doing wrong.

So guys, if you want to teach a woman to play golf, don't give up the verbal instruction.

Now, I can hit a perfect trajectory with an iron any time I want! Still don't know how to play golf though.

KY

Hi, for those who intend to learn in the near future.

Long ago, my friend thought it was cool to play golf, rub shoulders with the wealthy!

I paid $60 for 1 hour lesson. Coach said I had natural swing - used to play hockey in school you see.

2nd lesson, I couldn't connect with the ball, period. Coach abused me & I abused him back with a black face.

I decided bugger you, I'll hit that little white ball if it's the last thing I did. I bought a bucket of balls and lined up at the driving range.

I swung out at the ***** ball and you guessed it - hit empty air and almost fell flat on my face. I looked around - luckily there was no one to witness my mortification.

I still had $7 worth of balls in the bucket & as I got more and more exasperated, a voice in my head said slow down and think how come you hit the ball every time that first day.

I retraced the instructions and lo and behold, hit the ball in the perfect trajectory.

You know what, the coach stopped giving me verbal instructions on the 2nd lesson and I had crooked my elbow. He used his club to correct me but without the verbal instruction, I didn't "know' what I was doing wrong.

Now, I can hit a perfect trajectory with an iron any time I want! Still don't know how to play golf though.

KY
I am very surprised to hear a (good) coach would abuse a pupil, and certainly not after only 2 lessons.

So guys, if you want to teach a woman to play golf, don't give up the verbal instruction.
First of all - most husbands cannot teach their wives very well (should not try, but should use very little words if they do); and here's why -

Teaching women (as a generalisation) is often very different than teaching a man. It took me several years to learn this, and apply it to my teaching.

Everyone learns differently - Visual, Auditory and Kinesthetic (VAK) are the 3 main ways, and each of us uses a varying percentage of all 3.

The other factor is which part of the brain is doing the most listening - men are often very left-hemisphere thinkers, while many women are often right-hemisphere thinkers.

Therefore, the words we need to use to teach each person can be vastly different to convey the same message.

I used to be able to single out how a person received their information (VAK) by asking them questions about their golf game when I first meet them on the practice tee.

This would then determine which types of words I used to teach the drills I wanted them to use, and even which types of drills to use.

For example; some folks needed drills in front of mirrors or video - to see themselves, while some needed only a description of a "feeling", while others needed only to watch me swing and copy it.

Depending on the pupil, and how much time we had; I would use all 3 to convey the same message - hopefully one of the 3 would click with them.

Of course; over the years it was easy to narrow down which "string in the bow" to use to get to the point fast for the pupil.

Back