Haggling with the big banks

I called the CBA today to link a new account to a card and when asked how else they can help, I said I want a reduced interest rate. I was advised to find a lower rate being offered by any of the 'major' institutions and they will escalate the request to their retentions department. I'm currently paying 5.1% variable rate and no fees.

Sooooo.... I understand there are lower rates through the many brokers out there... But if I have to provide objective evidence to the bank it's a little more challenging. From my experience it's usually about haggling based on the current loan value and circumstances. Yeah sure I can find 5.05% etc but it's hardly worth the head ache. What's out there at say 4.9% or are there any other suggestions or experiences to get more out of them?

Recently helped another SS get 4.78% variable, as mentioned by Cjay all depends on the LVR and borrowing amount.

if your primary concern is rate and youare willing to do the work, try some of the online only lenders like loans.com.au

4.75 is achievable with cba at 80 % lvr

Obviously thats NOT for a 500 k loan

ta
rolf

Surely the rate makes stuff all difference?

Id rather consider lenders policy, how it fits within the realm of my investment plans, quality of product, etc, before saving $50 a month.

Surely the rate makes stuff all difference?

Id rather consider lenders policy, how it fits within the realm of my investment plans, quality of product, etc, before saving $50 a month.

.3% makes $1020 difference on $340k. Personally I'd notice this missing from my bank account. I take your point though the interest rate is not everything.

I had the same conversation with a bankwest rep on the phone. I told him i had been looking at rolling everything over to Suncorp (check them out rates as low as 4.79%).

He sounded distressed and had retentions call me that day. i had new rate docs sent to me within days. it was worthwhile for me as i had been a little slack in keeping on them about my rate. i think i knocked about .5% off for very little work.

What's the best Fixed Rate discount that people are getting from CBA at present ?

Their Wealth Package gives an automatic 0.15% discount, and it's wasn't hard to get an extra 0.05% :rolleyes: last time.

Or will they match others rates if pushed ?

I know rate is important but have to laugh at how everyone looks at it from a "compared to them" mentality.

Imagine for a sec the RBA cash rate was 4.0% and you were paying 5.50% with most punters paying + 6.00%. You'd be over the moon with your rate even though that's more than you pay now!

2 of my loans are with CBA and come off a 5.99 fixed rate on 28 March 2014.

Called the bank today when I saw this post and they will automatically revert to a 4.9% I/O rate.

All my loans were taken up a 5%-10% deposit plus LMI capitalised loans 3-5 years ago. Total lend with CBA is $940k odd (not counting amount in offsets).

If you have over 500k in borrowings you should able to get 0.9% off.....over 750k I think it will be possible to get 1% off like me.

I called the CBA today to link a new account to a card and when asked how else they can help, I said I want a reduced interest rate. I was advised to find a lower rate being offered by any of the 'major' institutions and they will escalate the request to their retentions department. I'm currently paying 5.1% variable rate and no fees.

Sooooo.... I understand there are lower rates through the many brokers out there... But if I have to provide objective evidence to the bank it's a little more challenging. From my experience it's usually about haggling based on the current loan value and circumstances. Yeah sure I can find 5.05% etc but it's hardly worth the head ache. What's out there at say 4.9% or are there any other suggestions or experiences to get more out of them?

I am also with commbank. Have about $950k debt with them and approximate value of $1.25M. Am currently paying 5.05%. I want to borrow for another IP, can i do better on these rates???

I am also with commbank. Have about $950k debt with them and approximate value of $1.25M. Am currently paying 5.05%. I want to borrow for another IP, can i do better on these rates???

Without even negotiating you should be able to get 4.90% - this is their current published offering, not a special deal.

With another purchase 4.80% would be on the cards, possibly better.

Again shoot me a PM if you would like me to assist.

As mentioned by Pete a better rate shouldn't be an issue. (didnt see a mention of LVR)

Back